October 2012 Moms

Christmas shopping: How many do you buy for, and budget?

How many people do you shop for, and what do you expect your budget to be? I think I'm shopping for 7 children, not including my own, and 11 adults, plus a few crappy $10 gifts for two Christmas parties. Don't get me wrong, I really do like to give gifts, just hate the pressure of having to find something when I don't have any great ideas ahead of time. I usually spend anywhere from $500 to $600 by the time it's all said and done.

Re: Christmas shopping: How many do you buy for, and budget?

• We have 7 kids (under 10) and maybe 10 adults.  My sisters and I have decided not to do gifts between the 3 of us and our spouses.  It's hard to shop and Christmas is for the kids. 

Our budget not including DS is about $500.  I just bought 3 of the kids 3 piece outfits from children's place for under $100 total  :)  
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I only have 1 niece. My family parents sis did a draw so we will each buy for one adult. We usually make a donation in my ILs name. Not sure about sil

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • ZiegefickerZiegeficker member
    edited November 2013
    Um....I am irresponsible and don't have a budget for Christmas gifts.  I get carried away with Christmas spirit and usually spend way too much.  Plus, it's usually on me to buy for DH's family, so I do most of the shopping and spending.  I think five-hundred to one-thousand dollars is about right, although last year I spent way more than that because I bought DH an iPad. 

This year I'll buy stuff for my dad, step-mom, and brother; DH's dad, step-mom, mom, and sister and brother-in-law; our niece and nephew; a handful of good friends; daycare providers; something little for Henry; both of our grandmothers; and we get two to three angels off the angel tree in town.  In addition to those gifts, I will donate what I would have spent on my mother's Christmas gift to a charity, and we donate a one to two-hundred dollar cart of groceries to the local food bank.  DH and I aren't buying gifts this year for each other because we just got a car, but we'll probably still get something little for one another.

That amount above also includes groceries I buy to bake tins of goodies that I hand out to people at work and friends in town.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Very minimal, as always.  My family doesn't do Christmas.  ILs do, but we only do small gifts.  My ILs just downsized from a 3000+ sq ft house to a 2bd1ba apt, so they do not need nor want anything that just "sits around."  Neither do we.  So we mostly do food gifts, or gifts that can be used up.

We only have to buy for MIL/FIL and SIL.  Won't spend more than $20pp.  DH & I may or may not get gifts for one another.  DS is getting books and maybe some (second-hand, gasp!) clothes.  
    TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I do all the Christmas shopping as my Husband does not care about shopping at all.  I will be purchasing for my mom, and dad, my sister and brother, by grandparents and great grandparents, my H's dad and step mom and H's grandma and H's step dad, as well as some of our close friends and their kids,and our daycare providers my budget is about $400, My husband and I are purchasing small stuff for each other as we don't need anything and we are spending about $75 on Wesley getting him a tunnel and ball pit and some new pj's.  We are trying not to go to overboard this year as Daycare costs are slowly draining us dry. We usually purchase for a lot more people but don't have the funds this year so I will be doing lots of baked goods this year as well.  I love baking though so I am looking forward to baking for everyone this year.

• My parents, my niece and nephew, DH's niece and 2 nephews, my cousin's daughter, and my godmother. That list used to be much longer until my sister, DH's sister, and my cousin and I all agreed that we wouldn't do gifts for the adults, just the kids. It's silly when the gifts end up being gift cards half the time!

We spend between $35-50 per person. So $315-450 total, plus whatever we get the boys (probably $200-300 total?)
    Logan Jack- 6.1.10 and Emmett Weston- 9.29.12 

• Over the past years, we have spent A LOT.  Upwards of $1000 I'm sure.  But this year with me doing the SAHM gig, we are dropping it to $500 total for the 15 people I have to buy for.  This includes Husband and Alice.

After 7 years of no ovulation...
    BFP#1 10/24/11 ~ EDD 6/29/12 ~ Natural m/c 11/2/11
    BFP#2 2/3/12 ~ Alice born 9/26/12

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Oct Angel Babies
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"