Minnesota Babies
Options

Hollidazzle Experiences?

Have any of you been to the Minneapolis Hollidazzle Parade? As a kid I lived in SoCali & remember the similar parades at Disneyland. Just a fun childhood memory & was thinking this could be a new tradition for the Jen4033 family. :)

I just heard on the radio that it will be starting soon & I KNOW DS would just be in awe over it and he would just flip to take a ride on the train down there! Now to just hope there is a weekend we can plan for it where the temps are not sub zero :)  It appears that  the hot seats in the tents are already sold out for the season.

Curious if any of the other couple MN mommas in here have been? How early do you have to get there to even get a decent spot on the street? Any experiences would be awesome to hear!

My 2 December boys

Re: Hollidazzle Experiences?

• Options
    I read somewhere that this was going to be the last year for Hollidazzle. I believe it was Twitter something, so I have no idea if it's reputable.

The last time we went was absolutely miserable due to the cold. If it's going to be cold, find a warm place! If get there at least an hour early.
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I've heard it is going to be the last year as well.  I haven't been since I was younger, but I remember they used to be packed.  Planning on taking my DH this year since he has never been to one.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have been told that the best place to watch is the skyway, warm and a great view.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have been in years past, I also heard somewhere that this was the last year. So if that's true I expect it to be very busy most nights that it runs. I agree with PP that the skyways are a good bet, warm and a good view! I would plan to get there at least an hour before for a good skyway spot. 
    TTC since August 2009
    Clomid for 6 cycles starting August 2010- O but no BFP
    SA Septemeber 2010 Looking good 
    HSG September 2010 All clear 
    1st RE visit May 2011 - IUI#1 June 20, 2011: BFN
    IUI #2 July 31 2011: BFP - m/c @ 5w1d
    Surprise BFP on a break cycle 10/4/11, Due June 4, 2012, Born 6/9/2012
    TTC Blog
    TTC#2 : Cycles 1-3 Protocol 1500mg Metformin Daily, Femara + Ovidrel, Progresterone support 
    HSG#2 November 2013 All clear
    Cycle 4 Metformin, Femara, Bravelle, Ovidrel, Progesterone = BFP
    Little Lady Born 8/28/2014

"There is a design, an alignment, a cry of my heart to see, 
    the beauty of love as it was made to be"
    Mumford & Sons
  • Options
    Good luck hoping for a warm night or a warm spot this is MN after all. Just bundle up and bring some cocoa. I haven't been since I was young either but it is one of my favorite holiday memories. Just be prepared for anything and have fun!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I've been once and it was fun, but this year we are definitely watching from the skyways!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Went last year and watched  from the skyway. It was nice because it was warm, but you couldn't hear the music, so it wasn't as much fun. Definitely get there early to get a good spot anywhere. Overall, I wasn't too impressed, I had heard there was a better one in either Arlington/Gaylord, can't remember which
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thanks All!

Sorry - I had a Bump hiatus this weekend so just got back online this morning!

I hadn't learned this was the last year until just after I posted this.  I actually messaged them on FaceBook & the response back was not exactly diretcly saying this was the last year, but instead referred to it being "revamped." So I guess we'll see how things change in the future!  Thanks for all the tips!  Skyway sounds great, but I'd hate for DS to miss out on the music. If we can find a good spot within the crowd, it might keep it just warm enough for us. :)

Thanks again all for your experiences!

My 2 December boys

• Options
    We went last year with the kids and if you bundle up and wrap the kiddos up in their strollers, it wasn't too bad.  It wasn't a very long parade either which helps some.  And some hot chocolate with a little kick didn't hurt either ;)

• Options

We went last weekend. When we went last year I found it quite irritating to be on the street. DS was small (4 yo) and couldn't see anything. We had a nice spot in front of the crowd but pushy people kept elbowing him out. He spent most of the parade on DH's shoulders. It is nice that it's a pretty short parade (30 min or so). If you can watch it in the skyway it's better, but you have to get there like an hour early to save a spot. Women in strollers are there early camping out!

This year DS is 5 and we planned on going early and camping out in the skyway. We got a room at the Hyatt (which is at the beginning of the parade route). Unfortunately as we were leaving DS randomly threw up all over the hotel hallway!! He wasn't sick (he had his classroom party that day and really overdid it with sweets- gross), but he wasn't up for walking the skyways to the parade. We could see a little out our hotel room window, but he wasn't interested. It was a bummer!

Btw, Keys in Foshay is a great place to grab an inexpensive dinner with kids. Their happy hour is awesome too.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"