2nd Trimester
Options

stressing over diabetes? anyone else having glucose issues?

Last time I went for my monthly check up my doc said I had glucose in my urine sample & I had to have my blood checked ... it actually came back low...like 69 or something like that.  This month was the same thing but instead of doing a blood check ... they did a blood draw to see if there are issues with my kidneys & to see if the number comes back to indicate that I am diabetic. I guess it should be under 5.7 or something like that.   Diabetes does run in my family so it wouldn't be unheard of that I have these kinds of issues.  I know my diet plays a significant role in this but was wondering if anyone had any advice or similar experiences?

Re: stressing over diabetes? anyone else having glucose issues?

• Options
    If you have GD then it has to do with the placenta. So your diet plays no part in how your body processes sugar. Also genetics plays a limited part in GD.

If you had diabetes prior to pregnancy then there are other factors at play. Diet is a means of control, but can't cause your body to have issues processing sugars.

When in doubt have a glucose screen & seen how your numbers look.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I have a glucose test schedule for next month but my doc said they will only do this test if I pass the one that they do with the blood draw. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The test they did is called an A1C, and as you posted, a number over 5.7 is considered prediabetic. So if you "fail" your A1C, meaning your number is over 5.7, then they won't bother with the Glucose Tolerance Test (GTT) that you hear others talk about (the sugar drink test). They won't give you the GTT, they are just going to diagnose you as having Gestational Diabetes.

I've had GD twice, and I expect I will have it again with this pregnancy. And yes, having GD means that sometimes your blood sugar is too low, other times and more often it is too high. For me, having GD is no big deal at all. I follow my GD diet which pairs proteins with carbs for each meal, and I eat approved snacks in between to keep my blood sugar more level.  I poke my finger 4 times a day and use my meter, but the poke is little more than a pinch. My babies have been good weights - 7lbs6oz and 8lbs6oz - and went to term.  Don't stress about this until you have results. But if you fail, it's going to be perfectly okay... you'll see.
  • Options
    zoeylovezoeylove member
    edited November 2013
    InLovewSB said:
    The test they did is called an A1C, and as you posted, a number over 5.7 is considered prediabetic. So if you "fail" your A1C, meaning your number is over 5.7, then they won't bother with the Glucose Tolerance Test (GTT) that you hear others talk about (the sugar drink test). They won't give you the GTT, they are just going to diagnose you as having Gestational Diabetes.

I've had GD twice, and I expect I will have it again with this pregnancy. And yes, having GD means that sometimes your blood sugar is too low, other times and more often it is too high. For me, having GD is no big deal at all. I follow my GD diet which pairs proteins with carbs for each meal, and I eat approved snacks in between to keep my blood sugar more level.  I poke my finger 4 times a day and use my meter, but the poke is little more than a pinch. My babies have been good weights - 7lbs6oz and 8lbs6oz - and went to term.  Don't stress about this until you have results. But if you fail, it's going to be perfectly okay... you'll see.

• Options
    zoeylove said:
    InLovewSB said:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"