Virginia Babies

Reston Hospital vs. Lansdowne Birthing Inn

Hi there!! I'm new to these boards and boy am I glad I found this place. I live in Leesburg, VA and work in Reston, VA. I've been going to Perfectly Female in Reston for the annual Pap Smears, OB/GYN consultations, etc.

Now that I've conceived... I'm a bit confused as to whether I should stick with Perfectly Female and deliver in Reston Hospital or switch to some other practice and deliver at Lansdowne which is just 5 mins from my home. 

Distance is not that much of an issue anyways, I just want to be with a good practice and deliver at a good hospital. What would you ladies recommend.... Reston Hospital  or Lansdowne's Birthing Inn? And why?

Thanks in advance for all your helpful replies :)

Re: Reston Hospital vs. Lansdowne Birthing Inn

• Hi there,
    I live in Potomac Falls and work in Manassas.  I too was torn between the hospitals as both are in my insurance plan.  I never visited the maternity ward at Reston, but decided on Inova Loudoun for the fact that it is an Inova hospital and I have some friends that work for other Inova hospitals. And the doctors I chose - Loudoun Physicians for Women (whom I love as well) do not deliver at Reston. 

I absolutly LOVE The Birthing Inn.  The classes are fantastic (I HIGHLY recommend the Childbirth Express Class) and the facility is beautiful.  All private birthing rooms and post delivery rooms!  The cafeteria is right around the corner and they have a Caribou Coffee store too.  All of the staff members I have met have been wonderful to work with too.  I can't wait to deliver there!!!  Only 9 and a half weeks to go!!!   Good luck!

• Thanks jenlyn for replying. Are Loudoun physicians all female doctors, or do they have male doctors on staff too? I'm looking for an all-female practice. Please do let me know if you have info on an all-female docs practice in Leesburg. Appreciate your help.. thanks :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, they are an all female practice (that was important to me too).  They have a location in Leesburg too, the phone number is 703-777-5111.  I think they are in one of the office buildings you can see across Route 15 from the outlets (just not sure how to get to thet building).

If you look on the DC Area board, there are others who recommend them as well.  Smile  Good luck!

• Thats perfect... thanks a lot Big Smile

My co-worker who has just been through a pregnancy told me how important it is to have the doctor and hospital as near to your home as possible, so I'm going to switch.... I'll probably be working from home my last month so going to a practice located in Leesburg would be great for those frequent appointments at the end. Thanks again :)

• Thanks Laura, I've finally decided to switch.

A friend of mine who delivered at Reston hospital last time and is doing it again told me to go for INOVA Loudoun, she said she's going with Reston Hospital only because its near her house and she can get there faster when she goes into labor..... I also found out 3 of my friends had delivered at INOVA Loudoun and loved it. So INOVA Louodun it is Big Smile

• imagenmq07:

Hi there!! I'm new to these boards and boy am I glad I found this place. I live in Leesburg, VA and work in Reston, VA. I've been going to Perfectly Female in Reston for the annual Pap Smears, OB/GYN consultations, etc.

Now that I've conceived... I'm a bit confused as to whether I should stick with Perfectly Female and deliver in Reston Hospital or switch to some other practice and deliver at Lansdowne which is just 5 mins from my home. 

Distance is not that much of an issue anyways, I just want to be with a good practice and deliver at a good hospital. What would you ladies recommend.... Reston Hospital  or Lansdowne's Birthing Inn? And why?

Thanks in advance for all your helpful replies :)

I also live in Leesburg and I work in Herndon. I was going to Loudoun OB/GYN but I decided to switch to Perfectly Female in Reston, I went there once and remembered I really liked it, so my question is how do you feel about them? 

Reading the rest of the comments I'm wondering what the reasons are that the women who have given birth at Loudoun hospital like it more than the Reston hosptial?

• I'm 9 weeks today and go to PF in reston also. I've never had a problem with them or Reston Hospital. I've had a previous surgery there with no problems. Does anyone have any specific issues with Reston? This is my first pregnancy, and don't want to be scared for life.
  • I delivered at Reston in July and had a wonderful experience. The doctor was amazing (one that wasn't from my practice, unfortunately). The nurses are fantastic. I had a pretty simpel delivery but had no complaints at all with Reston. They were very accomodating when I requested for limited night time stops in our room, answered all my questions (silly or not) and were just very very supportive!
  • I am currently deciding between the two. Anyone have more updated information? Thanks!
  • I worked for Reston for over 7yrs and I have never heard of any complaints from the Maternity ward. I am 5wks with my first baby but I have had 3 friend that all delivered at Reston and also loved it!  The staff get rave reviews and the hospital has all private rooms (which is a big plus)  The nurses and staffing are super friendly and make it a priority to keep you happy.  From personally working there I know that they have "core measures" that they must meet for every patient. They are not allowed to let a call bell go longer than 5mins, patient satisfaction is a high priority, and even the cleaning staff will go out of their way to ask if there is anything you need. I will be going to Reston for our delivery :) Good luck with whatever you choose!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Evan 16mos (10/15/15)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • CCR09CCR09 member
    Here's my experience... I used to go to Perfectly Female before I started having children, and I was never very impressed with them. Personally I found them rather cold, which I didn't want when I got pregnant and was going to be spending a lot of time with them. I switched to Loudoun Community Midwives and am so, so thankful that I did!!! I'm pregnant with my second now, and I have a wonderful, very personal experience every time I go to their office, as well as in L&D. They only deliver at the Inova Loudoun Hospital, though, so Reston wasn't an option. However, I do remember hearing while I was doing my research with my first pregnancy that Reston had a much higher C-section rate than at Loudoun. I'm not sure about Perfectly Female specifically, though. As far as the staff at Loudoun, they were incredibly wonderful! So supportive and kind! I look forward to seeing them all again with this bambino!
  • i will second the Loudoun Community Midwives.  i have been to many OBGYN practices and the service and attention i got from the midwives blew every other practice out of the water.  i had an amazing birth with my first, delivered by wendy from the midwives.  i cannot speak highly enough of them. 

the loudoun birthing inn was an amazing place to deliver and i hear they have a new birthing center opening in july 2014 that sounds like a freaking spa.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Does anybody know the difference between giving birth at the Inova Loudoun Hospital and The birthing Inn. I have to change doctor because my current doctor doesn't take the insurance plans from healthcare.gov and I found a doctor that does, but she tell me she doesnt attend deliveries at The birthing Inn, just at the Inova Loudoun Hospital, it's confusing because it all point like the place at this hospital IS the Birthing Inn. So I'm assuming it's just a different part of the hospital. Everybody seems to talk only about The Birthing Inn, and don't say anything about having the baby at the actual hospital. 
  • Mirelss, The birthing Inn IS at the Inova Loudoun Hospital. It is a small building off of the main building, so it's the same place!

I delivered in Dec 2013 and would like to share my experience with Loudoun Ob/Gyn and the Birthing Inn. I will never go to either again. Loudoun OBGYN gave me FORMULA samples at my first appointment when I was 8wks. I guess that was the first sign that I should have switched practices. I was new to the area and just didn't know anywhere else though and went to where one of my girlfriends had gone. Through my 38 weeks of pregnancy I was so severely swollen with high blood pressure during every visit after half way though my pregnancy. They never once used the word preeclampsia and said they would just monitor me...and monitor me.....and monitor me. I was so swollen I had to get carpal tunnel surgery while awake to relieve the throbbing numbness in even my wrists that was keeping me from sleeping.  SO, I see all the doctors that Loudoun OBGYN has (4), so I think, during my many times visiting there.... THEN, the day I am in labor, they send over a doctor to deliver my baby I had never visited with before! They prided themselves with having you meet with every doctor at their practice ahead of time so that this does not happen. Now, to my surprise, This doctor says I had "severe preeclampsia" and would most likely never be able to carry full term again....and I was on bedrest at the birthing inn for 24 hours after being in labor for 24.....and I wasn't allowed to eat during the bed rest due to the medicine they had me on to prevent seizures.....so I didn't eat for 24 hours after I delivered. I was so hungry, and when I finally got food from them, it was a little piece of chicken and rice. I cried for hours. I was so hungry and that's all they gave me. Then, after I finally got up and walking around, which was the day we left, I took a shower. I had blood all over myself from giving birth and they just let people walk into my room without checking with me first. SO, my husband's nosey grandmother busted in the room and saw me naked with my grandma underwear covered in blood on as I hobbled to the shower. we left soon after that it was so bad. They didn't even help me leave or offer to wheel me to my car. I hobbled to the car in so much pain I was crying. I am crying writing this. it was so traumatic. if I can just help one woman, that would be good.