Late Term and Child Loss

Milk coming in after a loss

Hi ladies-  I was told that since my loss was at 20 weeks, there was a chance that might milk might still come in after the baby was delivered.  With my daughter (healthy, full term), it came in about 4 days after delivery.

I started getting a bit of a tingly feeling in my breasts today and they are feeling a little heavier.  Nothing seems full force yet, but I feel like this is potentially what's coming.  I'm wondering if anyone has advice that has dealt with this?  Recommendations on how to dry it up, etc?  Thanks ladies.

BFP #1- 4/2011; DD Brynn born 12/2011

BFP #2- 7/13; EDD- 4/2/14; Lost DS at 20 weeks (11/16/13) due to cord accident

BFP #3- 3/14; EDD- 11/28/14; Lost DD at 15 weeks (6/7/14)- cause unknown

To my angels- I held you every second of your lives and I'll love you every second of mine.

Re: Milk coming in after a loss

• Sorry for your loss, honey. My milk came in about three days after my loss at 24 Weeks. It was painful both physically and emotionally. I took ibuprofen 600 mg for the pain. I also heard that cold cabbage leaves work to dry out the milk..((hugs))
  • ***siggy warning***

I was given a chest binder at the hospital and I wore it everyday (nights) too for a week after delivery. I lost my daughter at 20w4d, fortunately my milk didn't come in. But the nurses emphasized keeping them bound, recommended cold cabbage leaves in my bra if it did come in. I also heard Benadryl (maybe) helps dry up milk.

I am really sorry. Milk coming in is terrible reminder.
    Married 11/23/11, TTC starting 10/12, BFP#1 11/30/12, Adoption of stepson finalized 03/19/13,Loss of our daughter at 20w4d due to incompetent cervix 03/27/13, BFP#2 06/28/13, DS2 born 3/1/14.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm so sorry for your loss. My milk did come in, even though I followed the advice of my nurses to wear really tight sports bras (at all times), and not let warm/hot water touch your chest in the shower. I also used cold cabbage leaves at my sister's recommendation, and they helped, as did painkillers. I've also heard that sage tea helps dry up milk, but I didn't try it.
  • I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my Olivia a month ago at 27 weeks and they didn't tell me that my milk could come in. 3 days after having her I had two cantaloupes on my chest that were jut as hard. My doctor gave me antibiotic to keep me from getting mastitis. He told me to use cabbage leaves( hated it)! Eat peppermint altoids. I bought these breast things that can be find where all the breast pump stuff is by Lansolin, it comes in a purple box and it's shaped like the breast where you can freeze it for the engorgement and heat it up to unclog the milk ducts. I used it for about a week and my milk dried up. I only leaked once and haven't since . It sucks that we may/may not have the reminder that we don't have our babies. Hugs!! .
    imageimageimageimageimage 

• ***Siggy warning***

My dr told me to try my best to not stimulate my breast at all: very little touching, no water on them during showers, etc. He said to keep them in the tightest bra I had. They suggested cold cabbage leaves, but I did not need them. I was also careful not to hug people too closely (ouch!) or tightly. For me, it dried up in about a week. 

Lilypie - (qptF)

"Elsie Irene was born sleeping at 35w 6d on December 8, 2012. Mommy and Daddy miss you sweet girl."

• Thanks ladies. So far, so good. I'm hoping that it doesn't happen, but thank you so much for the info.

BFP #1- 4/2011; DD Brynn born 12/2011

BFP #2- 7/13; EDD- 4/2/14; Lost DS at 20 weeks (11/16/13) due to cord accident

BFP #3- 3/14; EDD- 11/28/14; Lost DD at 15 weeks (6/7/14)- cause unknown

To my angels- I held you every second of your lives and I'll love you every second of mine.

• Mine came in a few days afterward, too.  Drink sage tea (or sage extract), cabbage leaves, and a tight sports bra. 

It is a painful, sad reminder indeed. 

EDD 1/8/10 - our sweet sunshine DD born 12/30/09
    EDD 2/15/14 - Stillbirth at 21 wks 10/02/13
    EDD 8/12/15 - MMC 1/12/15
    EDD 12/24/15

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• you've gotten excellent advice from pp's.

I wore 2 sports bras at all times unless I was showering.  My OB said to not to touch them AT ALL and to not let the water in the shower touch them either.

Cold cabbage leaves felt soooo good.

I think I did all of this for about a week and then it was all cleared up.  so sorry you are dealing wtih this!!!

8/12-Suprise BFP- Sweet Bunny Born Sleeping 11/21/12 (19 weeks)

-5/7/13- MMC (8 Weeks)

11/6/13- BO discovered at 7 weeks- natural MC 11/25/13

8/14- Surpise IF dx...low AMH (.24)- moving on to IVF

IVF #1- 11/14- 6R5M4F=2 perfect frosties

12/19/14- FET of 2 embabies = BFP!!!  One Little Bean EDD: 9/3/15

Everyone Welcome.

• I know it's been mentioned, but cabbage leaves worked great for me. That and a tight sports bra. GL and ((hugs))
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers    
      *All AL Welcome*    imageimage

• I agree with the PP suggestions. My milk dried up in about a week. I'm so sorry - having my milk come in was such a painful reminder and I'm sorry you're having to deal with that as well. ((Hugs))
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Me: 32 DH: 33  High School Sweethearts  Married 5/28/2005
    DS1 born 6/5/10 at 40 weeks via emergency c-section due to fetal distress and IUGR caused by placental insufficiency
    DS2 born still 8/28/13 at 32 weeks via emergency c-section due to a complete placental abruption - cause unknown
    Baby #3 on the way, EDD 2/29/16.  Originally twins, but we said goodbye to Baby B at 8 weeks.
  • My milk came about 3 days after and I wore 2 sport bras for a week. Also iced them every 2 hrs for 15 minutes when they were engorged. Like pp said, it took about a week for the milk to dry up. Hope it won't be too painful for you.
    Ticker id: ra2f

BFP #2, EDD 12/26/14, please be our rainbow.

• Big hugs. It looks like you already got some helpful advice but I am so very sorry that you are going through this. It is such a painful physical reminder as if the emotional loss isn't enough.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"