March 2013 Moms
Options

7 month old wakes every 3 hours

kmornelas29kmornelas29 member
edited November 2013 in March 2013 Moms
My LO always slept 12 hour nights like it was nothing from 3 weeks to 6 months old. Right after she turned 7 months she started waking up every 3 hours to feed at night.

I even increased her amount of solids, because I thought she may need more calories, but that hasn't seemed to help.

I get the feeling she may be teething, so I gave her tablets before bed, didn't help. It's now been almost a month of us getting up every 3 hours.

Thought I should add, she can put herself back to sleep if she wakes, and actually wants to nurse when waking! I try not to some of the time, but she roots the entire time n cries until she gets it!

I don't know what to do! At this point I'm just trying to get her to go 5 hours again! Help!?

Suggestions!?
Me: 30 | DH:34
Married: 08/04/12
DD: 6 years | Born: 03/28/13
DS: 1 Year I Born 10/15/17

Re: 7 month old wakes every 3 hours

• Options
    My DS did and is doing the same thing. He was an amazing sleeper up until about 2 months ago and now he's up 2-4 times a night. It coincided with his motor development and teething, and now I think it's more habit than anything else, but he does get the occasional 5-8 hour stretch.

I think it's just something we need to power through. When they have any kind of growth spurt, physical or developmental, they'll sleep poorly. When they're teething, they'll sleep poorly. And they pretty much seesaw between all three for the next 5 months or so. If they're  not teething, it's a growth spurt of some sort.

If you think she'll put herself back down, though, perhaps you can get DH to help out. If she's rooting, it's because she knows you equal food and food is comforting. Since DH doesn't have food, she'll just take what comfort she can get from snuggling and go back to sleep. Can't promise that'll work. DH will go to DS and he'll refuse to calm down for him because he wants me and nobody else when he gets too tired.
    DD- 11/17/08, DD- 11/16/09, DS- 3/20/13 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
     Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    My DS did and is doing the same thing. He was an amazing sleeper up until about 2 months ago and now he's up 2-4 times a night. It coincided with his motor development and teething, and now I think it's more habit than anything else, but he does get the occasional 5-8 hour stretch.

I think it's just something we need to power through. When they have any kind of growth spurt, physical or developmental, they'll sleep poorly. When they're teething, they'll sleep poorly. And they pretty much seesaw between all three for the next 5 months or so. If they're  not teething, it's a growth spurt of some sort.

If you think she'll put herself back down, though, perhaps you can get DH to help out. If she's rooting, it's because she knows you equal food and food is comforting. Since DH doesn't have food, she'll just take what comfort she can get from snuggling and go back to sleep. Can't promise that'll work. DH will go to DS and he'll refuse to calm down for him because he wants me and nobody else when he gets too tired.
    Agree with all of this.  We had an amazing sleeper up until about 5-6 months, and it has been spotty ever since.  Like PP said, I think there are a million things to blame, and I'm just waiting for my good sleeper to come back.  I read No Cry Sleep Solution, and found some helpful things in there - the bolded part of PP's post was one of them.  I try to have DH go to her first when she wakes in the middle of the night, to see if he can calm her and get her back down.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  Sometimes I can also get her back to sleep myself without feeding by bringing her into my bed and snuggling, but more often than not once she is in my arms she is looking for the boob. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker         
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"