LGBT Parenting
Options

GTKY! (New shorter edition)

edited November 2013 in LGBT Parenting

Hi all! In an effort to cut down on writing and reading time, I'm decreasing GTKY to 5(ish) questions/week! Hopefully more of you can join in since the time commitment will be a little less :). Lots of newbies lately...please join in!!

Getting to know you!

1. Do you celebrate Christmas? What does that look like for you? (Tree? Decorations? Gifts? Special traditions?)

2. What did you buy the last time you went to the grocery store?

3. How's the weather for you right now?

4. What are you doing this weekend?

5. If you were to lay out a 1-day itinerary for one of us visiting your city, tell us what we'd do! Include activities, favorite places to eat, etc. (stolen from @ball.and.chain's AMA to @AXTMommas)

Bonus: We always love a PIP!

GO!

Lil'mamaz was born on Aug 21, 2014! She's PERFECT!

It's been a long road to here...
Me (43) and J (45) - same sex couple. And we don't feel 40+!
June'12 - First RE Visit
Sept. '12 - Tubes removed
Dec. '12 - Donor Egg/Donor Sperm IVF Cycle - 4 good embies!
Dec. '12 - Fresh transfer, BFP! EDD 8/29/13
Mar. '13 - Missed m/c at 16w1d, baby boy stopped growing at 15w4d
Loss due to umbilical cord clot...baby was perfect. :(
Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
Dec.' 2, 2013 - FET#3 with our last chance embie - BFP!!!
Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!
EDD 8/20/14 with a baby girl!
Little S was born on 8/21/14 - 8lb, 14 oz and 20 inches long.
We live in Seattle and used SRM for our donor egg IVF cycle

imageimageimageimage

Re: GTKY! (New shorter edition)

• Options

1. Do you celebrate Christmas? What does that look like for you? (Tree? Decorations? Gifts? Special traditions?)

We do celebrate Christmas. We have a tree and decorations. K <3s decorating for any holiday. We alternate so this year we will go to her family's Christmas Eve get together and my family's Christmas Day. Next year will be the opposite. This year we are doing the Christmas Eve box for each other with pjs, comfy socks/slippers, a favorite treat, and a movie. I am excited for this :)

Hm... stuff for cakes and cake decorating (as we are doing a cake decorating class together) Sucks not being able to eat it :-P

Cold. Typical Michigan November weather (as typical as Michigan weather can be). It's been really windy lately, but it's kind of sunny today so it's not awful.

It's my weekend to work :( But I think we're spending time with my mom on Saturday and we'll go to the gym.

5. If you were to lay out a 1-day itinerary for one of us visiting your city, tell us what we'd do! Include activities, favorite places to eat, etc. (stolen from @ball.and.chain's AMA to @AXTMommas)

Yikes.... We would do nothing if you came to my ACTUAL city. But we would probably go to downtown Detroit to go see the big Christmas tree and go ice skating, we would eat at a National Coney Island (because they're delicious), and maybe go to The Henry Ford museum or the Detroit Institute of Arts. We would end the night at my favorite LGBT bar complete with drag show. 

M: 25  DW: 26
    Married 5/31/13
    TTC #1
    Lesbian mamas to our fur babies
    11/13 - Waiting for test results to get the party started!

• Options

Getting to know you!

1. Do you celebrate Christmas? What does that look like for you? (Tree? Decorations? Gifts? Special traditions?) We actually celebrate both Christmas and Chanukkah (my father is Jewish) so we have a Christmas tree/Chanukkah bush!  I love to make my own decorations out of items I buy at the dollar store. I get a lot of great ideas off of Pinterest so that will keep me busy!

2. What did you buy the last time you went to the grocery store?Augh...I hate grocery shopping. The last time I went was Sunday and I purchased all the items we would need for our meals for the week. I plan our meals out for the week as a habit I picked up from weight watchers.  Noodles, bananas, asparagus, cauliflower, broccoli, chicken breasts, yogurt, milk, Arnolds bread, JELLO cups, garlic salt, turkey meatballs, and mac n cheese were some of the basics that were on the list

3. How's the weather for you right now?wonderful! Florida has finally started to cool off. It is probably around 70* here now. However it is suppose to rain all weekend and get back up to 80* by Sunday.  Boo

4. What are you doing this weekend? We are trying to stay busy during the TWW. Tonight we have a massage and then date night! We have a canine christmas event we will be attending on Saturday where we can take our dogs for Xmas photos and support rescue groups in the area. Then we will go looking for Xmas supplies to make our decorations for this year.  Sunday will be out with friends, yard work, and shopping for new landscaping.

5. If you were to lay out a 1-day itinerary for one of us visiting your city, tell us what we'd do! Include activities, favorite places to eat, etc. (stolen from @ball.and.chain's AMA to @AXTMommasHmmm...Well, we would definitely have to go to Peach's for breakfast (it is ahmazing) Then we would go down to the beach (weather permitting) or out on the boat (great thing about living on the beach). There is the Florida Aquarium which is fun and where the wife and I had our reception. Then to Sweet Berries for lunch (and a concrete---LOVE THOSE). After that there is the art and boardwalk stroll which is relaxing and very interesting. And of course the outlet mall is where all my family members want me to take them. Then dinner is tricky...there are so many great places. I would have to say either DaRuma or Thai Wasabi as they are the bomb here!  Then off to watch the sun set and the stars come out on the beach!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Married to M and proud mothers to Olivia and Elise (8/19/2014) and to our fur-babies: Capone (pitbull), Jax and Atticus (cats)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Love the shorter version... definitely saves time (and probably helps you not have to wrack your brain so much coming up with so many questions!)

Yes, but not in a religious sense. My partner and her family are non-religious; although my family is mostly Christian, I am actually Pagan so I celebrate Yule. We don't put up a tree in our house because we are usually in Toronto from Christmas Eve thru New Year's so we're just not around to enjoy it. But my mother-in-law always puts a tree up. Her house doesn't have a fireplace, so many years ago her husband made one out of cardboard for the grandkids to hang their stockings from. It must be nearly 30 years old now, but it still gets used every year! We exchange gifts and have a big turkey and/or ham dinner. When we all get together, there are 17 of us in the house. (When I say we, I mean Smurf's family. My family is scattered across the globe and I haven't seen any of them at Christmas time in at least 5 years).

Honestly? Toilet paper. LOL

It S-N-O-W'd on Monday but it's mostly melted awat, and it's a balmy 7C (45F) outside right now :P

On Saturday we have a potluck/goodbye party for some friends who are moving to Ottawa and Sunday we've been invited over to a friend's place for dinner. She's making cabbage roles. Mmmmm.

5. If you were to lay out a 1-day itinerary for one of us visiting your city, tell us what we'd do! Include activities, favorite places to eat, etc. (stolen from @ball.and.chain's AMA to @AXTMommas)

Hmmm... well, assuming you're coming in the summer... for breakfast we'd hit up Archie's. Their meals are so big we'll be good pretty much right thru dinner time. In the morning, I'd show you around Wortley Village, which is the neighbourhood we live in (and just got voted best neighbourhood in Canada! Woo!). It's got a lot of rich history, some beautiful historical buildings, and lots of interesting shops. We can pick up a cup of coffee from the Black Walnut Cafe and sip on it while we walk 20 minutes to downtown. We'll take the "Scenic" route though, along the Thames river (yes, we live in London, Ontario and the river Thames flows through it. Yes, I know it's lame LOL), and stop in at the Covent Garden Market (YES, we have one too...) for a poke around. From there we'll walk to Victoria Park where one of the weekend music/arts/cultural/food festivals is happening. We literally have one every weekend in the summer. I can never keep track of them all so I just call them all "Fest Fest." After we've spent the afternoon there, I would probably take you to Tony's Panzerotti for dinner. A panzerotti is a pizza that's been folded in half and deep-fried... and Tony does it best. OMG I want one so bad right now. LOL

Lesbian couple from SW Ontario, Canada | Me: 29 + 1 DF: 44 | Together 3.5 yrs, getting married in 2015 | TTC since Jun 2013

My Dx: PCOS, blocked fallopian tube(s), mild endometriosis & uterine septum (both removed during surgery Oct 11/13)

Jun 24/13: referral to Fertility Clinic ordered by gyne

Aug 15/13: initial consult with FS at Victoria Hospital Fertility Clinic, BW & HSG ordered 

Aug 20/13: HSG shows one tube completely blocked, other tube slow to fill

Sep 18/13: FU w/FS re: HSG & BW. BW normal, laser laparoscopy & hysteroscopy ordered

Oct 11/13: Hysteroscopy, laser laparoscopy, & HSG determined I actually have a uterine septum and mild endometriosis, and that my tubes were never blocked! Septum and endo removed with laser during surgery. Post-op in 6 wks.

Nov 26/13: Post-op - fully healed with no complications; confirmed tubes are clear and septum and endo removed. Referred to Donor Insemination program.

• Options

We celebrate Christmas but in a non-religious way.  EV also doesn't necessary like the idea of celebrating a consumerist "hallmark" holiday, but she is super creative and loves many different aspects of the holidays. I love it all, music, cooler weather (I grew up with snow at Christmas), trees, baking, cooking, gifts, family, decorating.  We usually meet in the middle and get a table top tree and decorate it.  In the past we've also often traveled during the holidays. This is the first year we're staying home and I'm super excited. It just seems like it will be so much fun with Kaden actually of an age where he can participate and we can begin to make our own traditions. My mom is German so we used to light candles on the tree, and sing carols, drink hot cocoa, have a nice meal on Christmas eve, just our immediate family. We also got to open 1 gift that night.  Christmas morning was the frenzy as it is is most households, though my parents never went totally overboard and I don't plan to either with our kids.

Leg of lamb (currently cooking in the crock pot after being seared earlier), steak for goulash, lots of veggies, eggs, milk, cheese (Havarti, cheddar and string cheese), fruit, tortillas (I am planning on a burrito night), ummm.... other randomness like nuts, dried fruit. No treats this time.

Sunny and 55 - high of 64 expected later today.  There's a lot of fall foliage and some of our morning glories are still in bloom which is nice.

I am leaving for the island of Roatan tonight. I'll take BART (our subway/above ground train) to the San Francisco airport in the late evening to catch a 12:15am flight.  I land at 10:30am  after flying through San Salvador.  I return Tuesday and get in at 11pm.   My reason for going is to retrieve our personal belongings (toys, car seat, clothes, etc.) and maybe sell some stuff down there including our funky green mini van full of ocean rust. But hey it runs!! ;-).  Meet with our property management company. Finish outfitting both flats of the house with sheets, towels, etc.  And meet with a few neighbors to discuss plans to build a pool, repair a huge sinkhole in the road (things like roads are often maintained by private homeowners), and other things. I have a ton of homework which has me stressed and the thought of the power going out while I'm alone in the house!! Argh. :(  But I might buy a resort pass and hang out at the beach working on my case analysis.  Yay spreadsheets and white sand beaches!!  I told EV I will go snorkeling for her.  I'm sad to leave my family I wish we could all go on a mini vacation together but alas it'll be a while.  Still not sure when House Hunters International will air, but we have hopes that it will be in December :-)

5. If you were to lay out a 1-day itinerary for one of us visiting your city, tell us what we'd do! Include activities, favorite places to eat, etc. (stolen from @ball.and.chain's AMA to @AXTMommas)

I'm new to this town but I think we would go on a hike at the lake by my house, and then out for sushi lunch.  (Yes I've had sushi pregnant!! EEEK -lol), then maybe for a walk through downtown (it's super cute and historic) for some organic ice cream.  I know several great playgrounds so we could do that as well. As for dinner we've discovered a favorite Indian restaurant but maybe we'd order in since K goes to bed around 7:30.  LOL  lame friend date - but c'est la vie!! :-)

• Options
    ATXmommasATXmommas member
    edited November 2013

We also celebrate in a non-religous way.  Even though I'm no longer religious, I associate Christmas as a time to celebrate family and giving.  Since Z and I have been together, we have spent most years with my family in Mississippi where Christmas is given great fanfare (I have a large immediate family).  Last year was the first year that we did not travel to Mississippi, and this year will the second since our LO will be just weeks old.  I'm sure over the coming years, Z and I will figure out what traditions we'll incorporate into our growing family.  One thing Z and I have already started is to buy each other an ornament each year that somehow reflects something from the past year.  We also stuff stockings for each other, which is fun.  I've been waiting for kiddos to find the  perfect stockings for us - I wish I could make stockings like @songbird31 (how cute!).  I also would like to continue a tradition of cooking a big Christmas meal (not this year, though!) like I did last year - was my first time cooking a Seitan Roulade, which turned out quite well!

Staples & ingredients for (vegan) tortilla soup.  I think.  We go to the grocery store a lot.  Well, Z does these days.

There is a saying around these parts - "If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes."  Two days ago, Austin experienced record lows.  Today it is warm and sunny - high in the 70s.  Supposed to be in the 80s this weekend.  It's so confusing.

I have an acupuncture appointment in the morning, then yoga.  Also plan on taking some walks.  Other than that, I hope to be at/around home relaxing.  I would love to have a baby this weekend, but I'm not holding my breath. :)

See my response here! - https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12153030/ama-atxmommas#latest   

Even Bama gets a stocking :)image

• Options

This year we are doing the Christmas Eve box for each other with pjs, comfy socks/slippers, a favorite treat, and a movie. I am excited for this :)

I love this!  We may need to start doing this. :)

• Options
    @herbabymama -- I love mochi and I am laughing about your purchases too!  Also those chairs in the river look amazing!  I'll come but I won't camp. :)

@ATXMommas -- we have that saying about the weather in New England too -- funny since it's obviously totally different here!
    Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
    ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
    FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
    Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
    FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
    EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
    *Everyone welcome*

• Options
    edited November 2013

We are not religious (I identify as atheist, my wife would probably say she's agnostic), but both of us grew up celebrating it (she was raised Catholic, I was Episcopal) and have a lot of great memories of the holiday.  So we celebrate a very festive, secular version of the holiday with lots of food and family.  We have a sun porch we don't have any furniture for that we have dubbed "The Christmas Tree Room" because we always put the tree out there -- there is a sky light, so we get an extra tall tree.  Always real -- it has to smell like a tree.  :)  (Side note: The Christmas Tree Room is slated to become a play room if we can manage to produce a real live baby).  We have Christmas Eve dinner at my sister's, but Christmas morning festivities -- presents, stockings -- have to happen at my house, because we're the only ones with a fireplace (thus "Santa" can only come here -- please note there are no kids in our family, but traditions die hard and my sisters and I grew up with stockings hung at a fireplace).  We generally have my sisters, father and stepmother over for a light breakfast while we open presents, then we break for a big brunch, then more presents.  We also tend to have my sisters over for dinner -- last year we made lobster stew -- while my dad celebrates with my stepmother's family.  My sisters and I also have to make my mom's buttermilk sugar cookies every year, usually a couple of days before Christmas.

You know, I honestly can't remember because it was a week ago, before we left on vacation.

We just got home and I immediately took a nap so I'm not even sure.  On the warm side for November, and it was sunny before the sun set.

We're getting together with friends tonight.  Tomorrow we need to run errands, since we have no food in the house.  My wife goes back to work on Sunday -- I think I'll nap with our kitty!

I actually think this was @healz413's question for @ATXMommas.  But nevertheless...

Breakfast at Mike & Patty's, followed by a stroll through the South End of Boston and the Public Garden.  Lobster rolls from Neptune Oyster for lunch, then we'll take a boat out to the harbor islands (in this scenario, it's nice weather).  Back on land, we'll head into Somerville to tour the Taza Chocolate Factory, grab a pint of Toscanini's ice cream for later, and have dinner at Strip-T's.

PIP: Last year's Christmas breakfast.  I made currant scones and we had chestnut jam, clotted cream, butter and strawberry jam.  Also featured: my mom's Christmas cookies and our Christmas morning dusting of snow outside!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    *Everyone welcome*

• Options

I do celebrate Christmas.  I've never been religious, but we have always celebrated.  Growing up, we always cut down a real tree.  One year, we got a fake one and I didn't think I would mind, but I did!  C and I carry on the tradition in our home.  We go with my parents and both sets of us pick out trees to cut down.  I still open a present from Santa on Christmas Eve as well.  I will continue the tradition as long as my Mom lets me!  C and I don't exchange gifts.  She isn't into shopping and things like that.  It bothers me a bit, because that is what I'm used to and I enjoy buying gifts for others.  I'm getting used to the change though, little by little. 

The last time I went was with my SIL to BJs and we shopped mainly for my MIL's surprise party.  I bought toilet paper, 20 pounds worth of pork loin, BBQ sauce, cereal, milk, cat food, hot dogs, rolls and some Miller Lite for C.

Today it was a little chilly and windy.  Still some snow on the ground in spots, but not much.  Overall, for the middle of November in Western NY, not so bad!

Cleaning, relaxing and taking our dogs to run. 

Well, we live out in the middle of nowhere basically, so it would be more of a tour of our county as opposed to our city.  We would go geocaching at some spots throughout the county.  Mostly in the country as that is what we like best.  We would go to a small hole in the wall diner for breakfast, called Langworthy's.  They have great breakfast options!  We would then geocache our way out to the Amish and indulge in some great home baked goods!  We would go to the Amish store, which is in the basement of a very nice Amish lady's home.  After breakfast and the goodies, we wouldn't need lunch.  We would make a stop at the Cheese Factory for some more good food options.  Then for dinner, we would head to a bar/restaurant in Ellicottville called The Gin Mill.  Great food at a decent price and many beer options to choose from. 

So my bonus PIP is from a few years ago.  I wish I was still that skinny!  Anyway, I had joined WW and after a year and a half I lost 51 pounds and ended an unhealthy relationship.  This was my gift to myself for doing all of that.  Fly from the Inside is a song that I love and was a constant motivation for me to push through ending my relationship at that time.  I have 11 tattoos total. 

Me: 30  DW (aka C): 29

Together since 2/15/11 ~ Legally married in NY on 9/29/12

***CP mentioned***

We've been working on baby #1 since July 2013 using Open ID donor sperm.  8 IUI attempts with 5 actual IUIs and one chemical pregnancy.  We have one fresh IVF cycle under our belts as well as a FET.  I have endometriosis and a uterine septum that was corrected via surgery in November 2013. 

11/14/14 -  Second HSG shows that tubes are still clear and ute is looking good. 

12/6/14 - Started BCPs in prep for IVF #2

12/22/14 - Saline u/s and endometrial scratch (All was clear and OUCH!)

1/2/15 - Began stimming for IVF #2

****All Welcome!****

We are Mommas to four fur babies - 3 dogs and 1 cat.

• Options
    @herbabymama - I want to come back to California so bad!  We were there in May and drove highway 1 for what seemed like forever!  We passed through Monterey Bay and went down to Big Sur.  In total on that trip, we went from San Fran to Redway (Avenue of the Giants), to Stockton, then down to Monterey Bay, Big Sur and back to San Fran.  It was so beautiful.  Some parts of highway 1 are scary!!! 

***CP mentioned***

We've been working on baby #1 since July 2013 using Open ID donor sperm.  8 IUI attempts with 5 actual IUIs and one chemical pregnancy.  We have one fresh IVF cycle under our belts as well as a FET.  I have endometriosis and a uterine septum that was corrected via surgery in November 2013. 

11/14/14 -  Second HSG shows that tubes are still clear and ute is looking good. 

****All Welcome!****

• Options

Yes we celebrate Christmas, but don't really appreciate the commercialization of the holiday. We are both atheist, but for us Christmas is about family and giving and good food. This is the first year we will be at our one house in a while. We were in grad school and driving across the country during winter break for a couple of years. We will definitely have a real tree and have some fun decorating our new house for the first time. We have some traditions, but I can't seem to remember any of them right now. 

Stuff to make vegan, gluten free brownies. They were actually pretty good. Ice cream (to go with the brownies of course) and some more vegan stuff for my sister who is visiting and staying with us from Seattle. 

So miserably cold. I really dislike winter and cold. It was raining earlier and is supposed to snow tonight. :((

My sister, wife and I are going to do take care of some things at my dads house. His wife, my stepmom, has renal cell carcinoma and has been in the hospital for almost 3 weeks. She is hopefully coming home on Monday so we are going to clean the chicken coop, mow the lawn, clean the house, get groceries, etc. etc. 

Oh man, just one day...that's hard. I'd have us check out the Mormon temple, haha jk jk. Definitely a hike in the mountains, it's my favorite thing about this city. There are so many good restaurants, but lately I've been loving this new place Pig and a Jelly Jar so we'd go there for breakfast and maybe The Avenues Bistro for lunch and the Red Iguana for dinner, best Mexican food ever. 

Here's a photo of one of our pups a couple of Christmases ago. 

• Options

We do celebrate Christmas, but yet to have any traditions of our very own.  We own a little 2ft tree but are planning on getting a real tree this year.  We have even gone to church on Christmas Eve the last few years.  I was raised Episcopalian and my wife loves their services.  My family tradition is always to open presents at my moms house on Christmas morning.  Though the last few years we have had this event at our house because my mom was single and not so much in the mood to host.  Then we do Christmas dinner at one of my Aunts house.  We celebrate with my wife's family on another weekend or even in January.

We just got back from the store and bought too much stuff, but a lot of basics like coffee, creamer, toilet paper, ect

It is actually nice out today, well for Ohio in November.  It was snowing last week and today it is in the 50s.  We are going to reach almost 70 on Sunday but with severethunderstorms, so weird!

The only plans we have are for tomorrow to do a good deed for a friend.  One of my friends D is selling a computer and another friend M needs a computer, so another lady G contacted me and offered to buy the computer for M.  None of these people know one another and G is doing this as a act of kindness.  This was all made possible by facebook and one person offering to pay it forward.  So I am delivering the computer tomorrow and have to come up with a good reason why I am giving M the computer without telling her who purchased it for her.

I am not much of a morning person, but I love breakfast food.  So I would have my wonderful wife make breakfast.  She makes amazing french toast with strawberries and powder sugar.  I love it!  Then we could go to the Columbus Zoo which is one of the best zoo's in the US.  Then one of my favorite Mexican places for lunch called Cantina Laredo.  They have amazing margaritas and fajitas.    Then I would want to spend the afternoon walking around the Short North Area of Columbus.  It is near downtown, but more artsy gay friendly area.  They have many wine bars, hole in the wall places and upscale hooka bars.  (Apparently none of us are pregnant during this day)  For dinner we would eat at Hyde Park where you cut the steak with your fork because its so good.  (Sorry to the vegetarians)  Then spend the night dancing at Wall Street, its the only lesbian club in Columbus.  We would kick out all the teeny boppers that hang out there now, but it used to be a lot of fun.

T & G My wife and I married 9/10/11 in Niagara Falls, NY
    HSG 12/12/12        
    #1 ICI 12/15/12              BFN on 12/29/12
    #2 ICI  1/11/13                BFN 1/28/13                       
    #3 ICI 2/11/13                 BFN

#4 ICI August 2013,  Clomid 100mg    BFN on 8/30/13 
    #5 ICI September-Clomid 100,  mg ICI 8/15 and 8/16,  BFN on 9/3
    #6 ICI October-Clomid 150 mg for 5 days   BFN 10/27
    uterine laparoscopy on 11/14-no endo or cysts
    #7 IUI December-Clomid 150mg    BFP 12/21
    12/23 Beta 51     12/26 Beta 209!
    First ultrasound on January 8th 2014-great healthy heartbeat
    Second Ultrasound January 23 (8 weeks) we got to see and hear the heartbeat
    Third Ultrasound Feb 4th(10 weeks), then will  released to OBGYN'
    It's a GIRL!
    We welcomed Adalyn Cooper Elizabeth on 8/29/14
    She was 7lbs 11oz and 19.6 inches long

Proud foster parents to two little girls ages 2.5 yrs old, M,  and 1 year old, K

• Options
    @herbabymama - omg I love mochi icecream so much! I have never had mango though. I usually get green tea or azuki bean, but I'll keep an eye out for mango next time. Have you ever had actual mochi before? Not the icecream-filled ones?

@ATXmommas - we had that saying in Calgary, too. The weather/air pressure changes (especially in winter) are so brutal out there!

Lesbian couple from SW Ontario, Canada | Me: 29 + 1 DF: 44 | Together 3.5 yrs, getting married in 2015 | TTC since Jun 2013

My Dx: PCOS, blocked fallopian tube(s), mild endometriosis & uterine septum (both removed during surgery Oct 11/13)

Aug 15/13: initial consult with FS at Victoria Hospital Fertility Clinic, BW & HSG ordered 

Sep 18/13: FU w/FS re: HSG & BW. BW normal, laser laparoscopy & hysteroscopy ordered

Oct 11/13: Hysteroscopy, laser laparoscopy, & HSG determined I actually have a uterine septum and mild endometriosis, and that my tubes were never blocked! Septum and endo removed with laser during surgery. Post-op in 6 wks.

Nov 26/13: Post-op - fully healed with no complications; confirmed tubes are clear and septum and endo removed. Referred to Donor Insemination program.

• Options

@herbabymama...don't worry. You did not ruin anything. My massage therapist is one of my best friends and she is trained in Pregnancy and delivery massages so we are well prepared. I have also made sure to hydrate all day to prepare for it.  But thank you for looking out for me!

Married to M and proud mothers to Olivia and Elise (8/19/2014) and to our fur-babies: Capone (pitbull), Jax and Atticus (cats)

• Options

1. Do you celebrate Christmas? What does that look like for you? (Tree? Decorations? Gifts? Special traditions?)

I do celebrate Christmas but with no family around it is kind of hard to get really into it.  This year seeing as how my little bean is supposed to be here, I have absolutely no idea what is going on.  Things I love about Christmas time is getting a tree, decorating the house (used to do it on Thanksgiving after the huge meal), going to look at Christmas lights and drinking Spiced Tea.  Getting new footy pajamas to wear on Christmas Eve and opening one present.  Then having the magical Christmas morning with everything that Santa brought.  These are things I absolutely loved about Christmas growing up, and that I hope to bring about again when bean is old enough.  I am so excited to be able to be festive and enjoy the holidays again!

2. What did you buy the last time you went to the grocery store?

I went to the grocery store (Wal-Mart) last night.  I got some fruit (apples, bananas), some avocados, and baby carrots.  Milk, apple juice, and that was about it.  Stuff that I have to buy more frequently.

It's cool, and the sun was out all day.  During the day is is supposed to get up into the low to mid 70's and a "cold front" is supposed to be coming through.  But this is Texas, and as @ATXMommas already stated, if you don't like the weather, just wait! lol

This is my weekend to work, and I am hoping that it is going to be my last weekend to work before little man is born.  We shall see. 

5. If you were to lay out a 1-day itinerary for one of us visiting your city, tell us what we'd do! Include activities, favorite places to eat, etc. (stolen from @ball.and.chain's AMA to @AXTMommas)

I think going to The Stockyards, north of downtown Fort Worth would be a great way to enjoy the city.  In my opinion, Fort Worth is way better than Dallas for many reasons.  The Stockyards are so full of history, and there are great steak and mexican food places all right there.  Exchange Ave takes you through the heart of the history.  You park and walk down the street, of course with a festive alcoholic beverage of your choice (because that is what you do!) and watch the cattle drive go through the street.  The Stockyards Inn is a great old hotel, and you can take a tour in which you see the room that Bonnie and Clyde stayed in right before they got shot.  There you can see items that they left behind in their haste to leave.  Then seeing as how it is something that must be seen, go to Dallas and visit Cedar Springs, which is the lesbian/gay mecca of Dallas.  There you have to eat a hamburger at Hunky's, peruse the shops, and partake of the bars/clubs that are abundant there.  Like PP, this is all assuming that we are not all preggers lol.

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options

. Do you celebrate Christmas? What does that look like for you? (Tree? Decorations? Gifts? Special traditions?)

I love to celebrate Christmas, though I'm not Christian, I was raised Catholic with a lot of German traditions that my mom instilled in the routine. We always got stockings on St. Nicholas Day (Dec. 6) and that was the shit. As a kid, it was the perfect 'teaser ' to get you through to Christmas morning. This year, my sisters wanted to get together and do this so we are. I'm super excited. For Christmas itself,  we get a real tree and decorate the house a bit. Growing up we had fake trees, but my wife before J grew up on a Christmas Tree farm and showed me the light on that one. J and I get ornaments when we travel, so our tree tells our story a bit! We both have loads of our own childhood ornaments on it too. It's a very happy, cute fun tree. Otherwise, I usually host Christmas eve dinner, and I make a Cranberry Braised Pork Shoulder (and usually 3 other meals because its Seattle an everyone has something. Usually a vegetarian, a gluten free person, and someone who eats fish/chicken....oh an dairyfree. Some year I will serve sawdust.) My family love Brussels Sprouts, so I make those and mashed potatoes. For dessert, Christmas cookies and chocolate.Christmas morning is just me and J, and then we go to one of my sister's for 1 or 2 .p.m. dinner and family presents. J LOVES presents and I get to see the 8-year-old in her every year.Super cute.She also snoops, and tries to get me to let her open things early! Naughty J.

I had a LONG work week - so Thursday I hit the deli at our local co-op (it's a fancy chain in Seattle, like a localized Whole Foods). We have been trying t eat out less but with time issues, we've been leaning on the deli a couple nights a week - it's a win-win - I don't have to cook, but it's still healthy and while a little spendy, way cheaper than going out. So - I got turkey meatloaf and mashed potatoes, and three types of sweet potatoes (for snacking not dinner) - one with kale; one Moroccan style with almonds, cumin and raisins; and one mashed with coconut milk (J is lactard). I got cream for coffee and some Brussels sprouts and mushrooms to have a veggie but I didn't end up making them (work call went until 7:30). I go to the grocery way too much!

Friday was warm (50's) and rainy, but then got cold and windy toward dusk. BR! Instead of meeting a friend out for dinner, she came over and we ordered pizza - J didn't want to go out in the cold. Me either! However, getting back from Toronto and more so Ottawa this week, Seattle fees like the tropics.

I am super excited to do almost nothing. Chores and hanging out at home today; tomorrow I have a Yoga Nidra workshop (it's like sleep yoga, I don't really 'get it' hence I'm going to learn). We collect xmas gifts for people all year, so I started wrapping gifts last night! Yes, seriously. I will do more today. Less pressure later, and kinda getting me in the spirit of the holidays.

Sorry I thought @healz413 told me about it, but that b&c had asked it! Credit to Healz!!!

Seattle is so awesome! What we would do would depend on you and your interests BUT, let's assume it's a perfect summer day (75ish degrees,sunny, no wind).

I'd start us off at my wife's original coffeeshop which is super family friendly. We'd have coffee, and then breakfast - she has breakfast sandwiches, quiches, a zillion baked goods, smoothies, and more.Then we'd go to Pike Place Market because you have to do that on your first trip! We could eat lunch in the market, or, head up to the Gayborhood  Capitol Hill, and eat at one of our go-tos Café Presse - cheap accessible French food, If you are vegan, we would go to Plum Vegan Bistro for a bigger lunch or else grab an acia bowl at another spot nearby. Then we'd bum around the Hill, shop and stop by Volunteer Park for some nice mountain/sound/sneedle views. A little break/rest stop back at our house (happy hour? ok!) and then out to dinner -and this can really vary! If it's warm and we don't want to spend a lot, we order Paso Cuban Roast pork sandwiches or I make ribs on the grill and we kick it in our backyard. If you are a foodie, we go to Revel, Mamnoon or a local farm to table spot like Tith or The Stumbling Goat. If you brought a fat wallet, we could so a splurge meal at Mistral, Canlis or even The Herbfarm!

June'12 - First RE Visit
    Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
    Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
    Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!

imageimageimageimage

• Options
    @2Mamaz - I was going to razz you about being cold in Toronto (it wasn't THAT bad this week)... but when you mentioned Ottawa, I don't freaking blame you! It's always freeeeeeeezing in Ottawa in fall/winter.

• Options
    @2MamazinSeattle - two things... 1) do you have a Brussel sprout recipe I need to know about? 2) your dx of J when it comes to gifts sounds just like Z!
  • Options
    1. Do you celebrate Christmas? What does that look like for you? (Tree? Decorations? Gifts? Special traditions?)

We do celebrate Christmas, C and I have always been more spiritual than religious but we love the holidays and celebrating! When we first got together we spent a few holidays apart. It was hard at Christmas so we invented babemas which was a few days after Christmas where we would have our own holiday, laying around and opening gifts and eating good food.

Now that we are big grown up and married we alternate families each year and either way it's lots of time with family and food and presents and love!

2. What did you buy the last time you went to the grocery store?
    I went today to pick up some flowers, candy and stuff to make cookies for my grandma. Her 89th birthday was last week and I'm going to bring her some goodies tomorrow when I meet her and some of my other family for lunch! C also needed some soup so we picked some of that up as well.

It's actually super nice...really enjoyable...not too cold...a perfect fall day!

Last night was date night and it was awesome! Today C and I went and ran errands together...it was so much fun! Then C had to go to work, I am making cookies and working on school work! Tomorrow we'll go to church, then teach Sunday school and then C has to work and I am meeting some of our family for lunch. Then probably more school work...

5. If you were to lay out a 1-day itinerary for one of us visiting your city, tell us what we'd do! Include activities, favorite places to eat, ect.

So much to do in the C-bus...first we would start with breakfast at North Star...super delicious and creative food. Then we would maybe head over to one of the awesome parks here and hang out, go for a walk, people watch...whatever you're into. Then we'd head down to North Market and walk around and get some yummy lunch! Then maybe back to our house for a rest. We are not "going out people" but maybe we'd go down to the Short North and walk around. There are some really awesome little bars and places to see. Hopefully a festival would be in town down at Columbus Commons. If we were looking for a fancy dinner we'd probably go to Milestone 229 which is on the river and beautiful. In the summertime it it right next to the fountains so you can watch kids play...it's so cute! They also have the best food and some really delicious mixed drinks!

Queer coupled and having a BABY with the love of my life! Love my life and wouldn't have it any other way!
    First IUI 1/22/2013 BFN: 2/7/2013, Second IUI 2/21/2013 BFN: 3/9/2013, Third IUI 4/23/2013 BFN: 5/8/2013, Fourth IUI 5/24/2013 BFN: 6/7/2013, Fifth IUI 6/24/2013 BFN: 7/8/2013

C began IUI's
    7/23/2013 C's first IUI BFN, 8/21/2013 C's second IUI BFN , Took a break in September and October, 11/05/2013 C's 3rd IUI (TWW...we meet again...) BFN, Took off the month to switch to an RE. 01/01/2014 C's 4th IUI...BFP!!!!!!!! Beta #1- 17, Beta #2- 34, Beta #3-140....  6W Ultra-Sound Reveals nothing in Gestation Sack... Natural M/C at 7W, 2/3/2014

03/21/2014 IUI #10...BFP!!! Beta #1- 48, Beta #2- 416, Beta #3- 1018. GROW BABY GROW!!!

1st Ultrasound 4/22/2014 Baby Squints is PERFECT! Measuring at 6w2d with a heartbeat of 129. EDD: 12/12/14.

Ultrasound at 18 weeks on 7/14/2014. Baby is healthy and growing just as she should!

Check out my blog at: http://journeytoparenthoodandmakingmilk.blogspot.com/

• Options

@ball.and.chain Your Christmas celebration and treat making sound amazing. After all these years, it is still hard for me to get used to a Christmas without snow and it sounds kind of nice. Last year, we were in Indianapolis with K's family and there was a huge blizzard and we were stuck inside. It was kind of fun! Boston winters can be brutal and go on forever. As I recall, it was a blizzard in Boston in February that prevented me from meeting you IRL! I'll have to come back in the summer!
    A blizzard and a cold, I think!  Come back in spring or fall; it's pretty humid in the summer for you dry-weather Californians.  But of course you and K and baby are welcome to visit anytime!
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    *Everyone welcome*

• Options
    @herbabymama....It is great! Hope your weekend went great as well

• Options
    @kaysa2....my father is Jewish and my mother is Catholic. We always celebrated both and I loved experiencing both. It really helped me to remain open and curious to new things

• Options
    @kaysa2 - where are you in the PNW?

June'12 - First RE Visit
    Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
    Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
    Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!

imageimageimageimage

• Options

Great idea to implement the 5 questions instead of 10.  I rarely seem to have time to read everyone's responses and to respond to 10 questions.  :)

keepsawaythenargles is doing with the pjs on Christmas Eve.

B is a French teacher and is having a party with her kids today, so last night we ran out and got food and drinks for her party.  Nutella, Eggs and Milk for crepe batter, Soda, etc.

We have snow!  It's only a light dusting, and luckily we didn't have to shovel this morning, but it's pretty chilly out so the little bit of snow is sticking!

This weekend is our one year anniversary and B is planning a surprise.  All I know is that I have to take a half day tomorrow from work and meet her at home by 12:15.  I'm so excited!  I'm really terrible with surprises because I normally go hunting for clues and try to figure it out like it's a game, but this time I didn't do any hunting so it can be a true surprise!

5. If you were to lay out a 1-day itinerary for one of us visiting your city, tell us what we'd do! Include activities, favorite places to eat, etc.

I live in a pretty small town so most of the items that I would want to do are all going to be little local places.  We would start with breakfast at Bresina's, where you get a full breakfast for about $3.  And then maybe go to Leinenkugel's brewery (Do any of you have this beer or is it just a local thing?) for a tour.  I'd love to go to Connell's Supper Club for dinner because they have amazing steak.  And then take a tour of the couple downtown shops since I think it's adorable that my town still has all of these little town shops.  And finally, my house is three houses away from the city park (sidenote: which also includes a full zoo!) and every Christmas season people volunteer and decorate the park with hundreds of thousands of lights.  It's absolutely gorgeous, so I would definitely want to end there.

• Options
    @newmompeanut - We do have that beer here. We have a few stores that carry specialty beers. Our local brewery is Ellicottville Brewing Company (EBC).

***CP mentioned***

****All Welcome!****

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"