TTC After a Loss
Options

Ridiculous names (Warning: baby names discussed)

HeyMrsPotterHeyMrsPotter member
edited November 2013 in TTC After a Loss
Warning: The topic of baby names is discussed below.*  

* This is done only in a theoretical and goofy sense, as in, if we ever do manage to have a child, here are some of the ridiculous names DH has jokingly proposed. But if you're just not having a good TTCAL day, or just not up for hearing about baby names of any type, this still might not be the thread for you. 

A comment about names in today's "Irrational Rants" thread reminded me of this ongoing challenge with my husband. He is half Puerto Rican, and he was slightly uncomfortable with this part of his identity growing up. His dad wasn't part of his life and as a result he really only began to connect with this side of his heritage in his 20's. He lived in a small, rural, all-white town where his name garnered unwanted attention and teasing. So, growing up, he was sensitive about his name. He doesn't speak Spanish, although now he wishes he did. In college, he particularly hated it when his professors went out of their way to roll the r's in his name, despite the fact that they would normally speak to anyone else with a very Midwestern accent--as if over-pronouncing his name was an an opportunity to demonstrate their worldly sophistication. 

So those experiences have carried over into every conversation we've ever had about what we would call a child if we had one. For instance, I always liked the name Jamie, in honor of my grandfather James, but DH overruled that one because of how it would be pronounced by wannabe Spanish-savvy people when paired with our last name: Hy-mie Rodriguez.

Because the topic is slightly emotionally fraught for him, he of course has to turn it into a joke. He says he's just going choose a baby name that will completely throw people off. On his list of ridiculous names:

• When he was mad that I bought him a box of generic breakfast ceral: Cocoa Rice Rodriguez
  • Because Rodriguez means "son of Rodrigo": Rodrigo Rodrigo Rodriguez
  • I can't even begin to explain this one: Fahrvergnügen Rashawn Rodriguez 
Even when we were expecting (before our loss) we never did manage to have any sort of serious conversation on the topic of names.

Have you rejected any potential names based on how they would sound with your last name? 

Again, I don't mean to hurt anyone with this topic. So many things about our journey to have a family have been sad for DH and me, and this is something we're able to laugh and be lighthearted about. I offer it here in that same spirit. 

edited typo and sentence structure

Re: Ridiculous names (Warning: baby names discussed)

• Options
    Lol. I love every bit of this. H and I never really discussed names b/c he had it made up in his head that he was going name our child after his grandfather no matter what. Of course, that pissed me off b/c I go no say in it. That said, I started naming the girliest girl names ever to pair with his manly grandfather's name: I.E. William Victoria Woodfin or William Tallulah Woodfin. Needless to say he did not appreciate it, but hey, it was funny to me. Tallulah is an old Southern name and I had to dig deep for it. He didnt like it. Personally I thought it had a nice ring to it.....

:D
    Multiple TTCAL 1IF 3
    imageimage
    DX: stage 2 Endo 2012, PCOS 7/2/14,  HSG 6/11/14, Lefty open!!
    BFP#1, EDD: 4/27/14, Missed EP confirmed: 9/23/13, R tube removal: 9/25/13 
    Clomid/TI #1=BFN, 
    Clomid/TI#2=BFN, Clomid/TI #3=CP
    BFP #2 CP, EDD 7/12/15
    On a treatment break: 2 natural cycles. Saving money, sigh*

Goodbye my sweet babies. We miss you so much
    All Welcome

• Options
    megrae12 said:
    Lol. I love every bit of this. H and I never really discussed names b/c he had it made up in his head that he was going name our child after his grandfather no matter what. Of course, that pissed me off b/c I go no say in it. That said, I started naming the girliest girl names ever to pair with his manly grandfather's name: I.E. William Victoria Woodfin or William Tallulah Woodfin. Needless to say he did not appreciate it, but hey, it was funny to me. Tallulah is an old Southern name and I had to dig deep for it. He didnt like it. Personally I thought it had a nice ring to it.....

:D
    Thanks for seeing the humor in this. Much like you, I think DH's jokes are his way of objecting to my desire to use my grandfather's name.

I'd say that Tallulah was particularly well chosen on your part. ;)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I thought so too. I mean who doesnt love Tallulah? It flows so well with our name!!  =))
    Multiple TTCAL 1IF 3
    imageimage
    Clomid/TI #1=BFN, 
    BFP #2 CP, EDD 7/12/15

All Welcome

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Yes. And Tallulah was good enough for Bruce Willis and Demi Moore... of course, that was a daughter, but whatevs. 
  • Options
    Meh. Semantics. 

Who doesnt want to be like Bruce and Demi? I wonder if I should add that to my argument? 
    :-?
    Multiple TTCAL 1IF 3
    imageimage
    Clomid/TI #1=BFN, 
    BFP #2 CP, EDD 7/12/15

All Welcome

• Options
    Maybe this gif would help:

• Options
    Bahaha!!! I LOVE it. Except I would have to hear something like *take on deep man voice here* "That is a disgrace to my Irish heritage!" In which case my response is:  =))
    Multiple TTCAL 1IF 3
    imageimage
    Clomid/TI #1=BFN, 
    BFP #2 CP, EDD 7/12/15

All Welcome

• Options
    My married name is seriously polish (ends in Ski and everything) so my mother said when whe first started TTC that since the child will have such a Polish last name could we try to represent my Irish and German heritage in the first and middle names.  My husband has fun trying to come up with the most Irish and German name he could think of to make my mom laugh (*and maybe she never suggested such a thing).  

He came up with Adolf Sheamus Juice-ski. (Not our last name but a nickname DH has had based on how ours sounds).    So around my mom we will make comments about our future little Adolf Sheamus.  Thankfully I come from a family of smart ass comics so she takes it well and nearly peed herself laughing the first time we told her.  She now gets that DH and I both like fairly traditional "plain" names so it will be whatever *WE* choose.  And really common.

TTC since July 2009. Dx MFI & LPD. 
    IUI#1&2&3 (2011 & 2012) BFN
    IUI#4 1/23/13 on 75iu x9 Follistim = BFP then chem preg m/c (Feb 2013)
    IUI#5 BFN (April 2013)
    IVF w/ICSI Oct. 2, 2012 - 13R, 11M, 7F, 1 frozen blast 4BB grade - - - FET Nov 15, 2013
    BFP! Beta 1:104 @ 10dp6dt, Beta 2:178 @ 12dp6dt,  beta 3:366 @ 14dp6dt
    Saw heartbeat twice before missed M/C at 8w3d on 12/27/13, missing my little angel boy
    JUNE 2014 IVF#2;  5R, 2M, 1F Three day transfer 6/7.  Beta 6/18 - BFN
    Child Free Now?
    S/PAIFW , S/PALW

My Blog

• Options
    katib77 said:
    My married name is seriously polish (ends in Ski and everything) so my mother said when whe first started TTC that since the child will have such a Polish last name could we try to represent my Irish and German heritage in the first and middle names.  My husband has fun trying to come up with the most Irish and German name he could think of to make my mom laugh (*and maybe she never suggested such a thing).  

He came up with Adolf Sheamus Juice-ski. (Not our last name but a nickname DH has had based on how ours sounds).    So around my mom we will make comments about our future little Adolf Sheamus.  Thankfully I come from a family of smart ass comics so she takes it well and nearly peed herself laughing the first time we told her.  She now gets that DH and I both like fairly traditional "plain" names so it will be whatever *WE* choose.  And really common.

Awesome! High five, fellow Polski! (DH's family is Polish and we end in "ski" too).

In response to the OP's question, we never really discussed names that wouldn't go with our last name. BUT, this question made me laugh because up until the day my older sister was born, my parents wanted to name her Whitney W______ (my maiden name starting with a W). My grandmother was in a panic and convinced them to name her Brittany because, "For goodness sakes....can you imagine if she has a lisp?" HAHAHA! My grandmom was the best :-)

• Options
    My boys name has always been Sawyer. Our last name is Wood. Saw Your Wood now, I can't use it. :(
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    BFP 08/14/13 EDD 04/18/14 Natural MC 08/19/13
    BFP 10/15/13 EDD 06/24/2014 Natural MC 10/23/13
    Recurrent Miscarriage Panel done 11/06/13. Results= All normal
    BFP 12/2/13 EDD July 30, 2014
    Beta 12/3/13: 19,261!
    U/S 12/13/13 heart rate 143 bpm!

My Blog
  • Options
    katib77 said:

That's funny - my maiden name is the same -- full of crazy vowels and ending in SKI. Although my Mom wanted a goofy trendy name for me my dad overruled her. Like you and YH, he preferred something plainer. Growing up with the mouthful of a last name that I had, I'm grateful for my simple, one-syllable first name.
  • Options
    My boys name has always been Sawyer. Our last name is Wood. Saw Your Wood now, I can't use it. :(
    Aww, and Sawyer's such a cute name! It's good that you can laugh about it, though.
  • Options
    My last name is Polish. 5 letters, 2 vowels (but one the vowels sounds like a different vowel), and one silent j. 

We can never name any future sons Michael. 
      Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage image
    ~*~Everyone is welcome~*~
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic image 
  • Options
    I was the only person in the US (probably the world) with my name before I got married and took DH's last name.. K SuperSicilianLastName went to K SuperCommonLastName. DH's name is pretty vanilla and that bugged me for our kids, so I insisted on "different" names for future LO. He wants to name all our kids after his favorite athletes or Game of Thrones characters.. Eye roll. We agreed (jokingly) on Octavian Velociraptor.
    That's so awesome. I'm pretty sure DH would add it to his list if I told him.
  • Options
    uneek1323 said:
    My last name is Polish. 5 letters, 2 vowels (but one the vowels sounds like a different vowel), and one silent j

We can never name any future sons Michael. 
    My maiden name has one of those, too. It adds a whole different dimension to learning to spell your name as a kid!
  • Options
    Our J is not silent but pronounced like y so instead of jew its Yev but because of how people mispronounce it dh has always been nicknamed juice because our name ends in jewski

TTC since July 2009. Dx MFI & LPD. 
    IUI#1&2&3 (2011 & 2012) BFN
    IUI#4 1/23/13 on 75iu x9 Follistim = BFP then chem preg m/c (Feb 2013)
    IUI#5 BFN (April 2013)
    IVF w/ICSI Oct. 2, 2012 - 13R, 11M, 7F, 1 frozen blast 4BB grade - - - FET Nov 15, 2013
    BFP! Beta 1:104 @ 10dp6dt, Beta 2:178 @ 12dp6dt,  beta 3:366 @ 14dp6dt
    Saw heartbeat twice before missed M/C at 8w3d on 12/27/13, missing my little angel boy
    JUNE 2014 IVF#2;  5R, 2M, 1F Three day transfer 6/7.  Beta 6/18 - BFN
    Child Free Now?
    S/PAIFW , S/PALW

My Blog

• Options
    edited November 2013
    katib77 said:
    Our J is not silent but pronounced like y so instead of jew its Yev but because of how people mispronounce it dh has always been nicknamed juice because our name ends in jewski
    I guess mine is like that too. The j follows an a, and it's supposed to be pronounced like "ai". Again, not helpful when learning to sound out words as a kid!
  • Options
    Just popping in to show some love for the -skis! I kept my name but MH is Polish and his last name ends in ski! It's super long. Mine is Italian and super long. We've decided to show mercy to our future hypothetical children and not hyphenate. :)

We do call them "future hypothetical" so much that maybe that name should be in the running!
    ----
    *I am no longer regularly posting on TB because of the fucked up debacle of Jan 2015 when administrators banned long-term members and mods with no notice and completely dismantled a community full of women who cared about each other.  If you see me posting it's only to give support to a poster who needs it or to post something important enough that I need to say.  I am no longer responding to  anything other than issues that affect people who I care about*
    37 years old, MH is 42
    TTC since 2010; Dx Unexplained Infertility; possible male factor 
    August 2012 through June 2013:  6 IUIs with clomid and trigger shot, all BFNs
    7/2013, Pregnant! Unmedicated--we were on a treatment break
    8/20/13 no heart beat; 8/23/13 d&c
    3/15/14 IVF #1:  Lupron/Follistim/Menopur; ER 3/10 resulting in four transfer grade blastocysts, transferred one pretty blast and froze the remaining three. BFN. 
    Natural FET in May cancelled because the universe hates me my hormones were not cooperating.
    6/24/14 FET #1: transferred two pretty embryos; BFN   
    8/28/14 FET #2: BFP, ended in Chemical pregnancy

Done with medical intervention and getting used to the idea of CFNBC.  

All welcome
  • Options
    Other options: "Very wanted" "Very planned" and "Expensive". :)
    ----
    *I am no longer regularly posting on TB because of the fucked up debacle of Jan 2015 when administrators banned long-term members and mods with no notice and completely dismantled a community full of women who cared about each other.  If you see me posting it's only to give support to a poster who needs it or to post something important enough that I need to say.  I am no longer responding to  anything other than issues that affect people who I care about*
    37 years old, MH is 42
    TTC since 2010; Dx Unexplained Infertility; possible male factor 
    August 2012 through June 2013:  6 IUIs with clomid and trigger shot, all BFNs
    7/2013, Pregnant! Unmedicated--we were on a treatment break
    8/20/13 no heart beat; 8/23/13 d&c
    3/15/14 IVF #1:  Lupron/Follistim/Menopur; ER 3/10 resulting in four transfer grade blastocysts, transferred one pretty blast and froze the remaining three. BFN. 
    Natural FET in May cancelled because the universe hates me my hormones were not cooperating.
    6/24/14 FET #1: transferred two pretty embryos; BFN   
    8/28/14 FET #2: BFP, ended in Chemical pregnancy

Done with medical intervention and getting used to the idea of CFNBC.  

All welcome
  • Options
    This is a fun thread! I don't really have anything to share since we really haven't discussed names. The boy's name is pretty much set in my mind (combo of my dad and his grandfather's name) and I would like to include a variation of my mom's name, which would also honor two grandmas, but that's about as far as we've gotten in throwing names around. Growing up, I always said I was going to marry someone with an Italian last name (mom is Italian, Dad Scottish/German, with a last name that probably is German, starts with Sh-, not Sch-, so confuses people). H is 1/2 Italian, 1/2 Irish and his last name COULD pass for Italian, but is Irish. Close enough! I like it because it's two sylables and ends in a "-ee" so makes pairing up names that flow easy. We haven't really discussed names, but every time one of our friends names their kids something less than traditional, H always swears that was a name he wanted, like Tyler, McKenzie or Hunter, names I am not crazy about, so glad they are taken!

~ES~

~*~EVERYONE always welcome!!~*~
    TTC #1 since October 2012
    BFP #1 11/22/12 EDD 7/29/13 MMC 1/14/13, D&C 1/16/13
    BFP #2 5/7/13 EDD 1/14/2014 Ectopic discovered 5/21/13, lost left tube
    Referred to RE, blood work done August 2013, AMH 0.27, all else normal, HSG clear
    BFP #3 12/1/13 EDD 8/8/14, MC 12/24/13
    January 2014: RE #2, blood work repeated, homozygous MTHFR c677t, SHG clear
    BFP #4 4/7/14 EDD 12/15/14 Our rainbow was born 12/6/14 at 4:26pm! <3 

• Options

I love this thread! I think it's so nice that all YH's want to work in family connections and heritage.

Mine wants to name all our children after the original Power Rangers: Billy, Jason, Zack (this one is the only one I agreed to), Kimberly, and Trini. Because really, a Swede and an Irishwoman could TOTALLY pull off having a Trini. (Really?!)

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Funny Confession Ecard: If being in my pajamas by 7pm is wrong, then I don't want to be right.imageimagemarch1

BFP 2013-07-11, EDD 2014-03-04, NMC 2013-07-24

My Ovulation Chart || My Blog

• Options
    My DH and I have had many conversations about names over the years.  There was an old SNL skit with Nicolas Cage that addressed this very topic, I've always thought it was hilarious...long before I thought I wanted a child. (click here for transcript)  I couldn't find the video...just found it (click here) 

• Options
    I was a HUGE power rangers fan when I was little, @vikinggirl4! I'd much rather Billy than Eddard or Daenerys or Khal Drogo. KHAL DROGO!? *sigh*

imageLilypie - (zxAe)

• Options
    When I first got pregnant, my BF was determined that, if it were a boy, Xerxes (hard X's as in "Xylophone") and, if we had a girl, Namine, with the "e" pronounced as "a"

Later, when we started discussing serious names I was just trying to come up with things that I liked in general and spewing them out. I came up with Hunter. He said no and I asked why. Then he reminded me that our child's name would then be "Hunter Huntington"
  • Options
    This is a fun thread and I've enjoyed reading some of your names!  I personally like @natsfans84 the best though; Octavian Velociraptor.  (Sorry if I spelled it wrong).

H is a huge snowmobiler and one of the ones we joked about before we were ever pregnant was Adrenna Lynn.  Say it fast and it'd be adrenaline.  I actually think it's kind of pretty but I'd never do that to my poor daughter.  
    BFP #1 October 2008 | m/c Thanksgiving weekend | November 2008 | 7 weeks 2 days
    BFP #2 February 2009 | m/c March 2009 | 4 weeks 3 days
    Testing on mom and dad for possible reasons all came back normal.
    BFP #3 8/4/2009 | DD born 3/28/10 @ 38 weeks
    BFP #4 5/13/11 | m/c 6/15/11 | 8 weeks 6 days
    BFP #5 2/13/13 | CP 2/19/13 | 4 weeks 
    BFP #6 3/21/14 | Heard the HB on 4/16 | m/c 4/21/14 | 9 weeks
    Testing results all returned normal and baby was a GIRL.
    More testing on mom and dad for other issues all returned normal results.
    BFP #7 10/15 | DS born 6/4/16 @ 36 weeks 
    BFP #8 9/28/17 AHHH!!!  |  EDD 6/6/18

"Dear Lord, I would have loved to have held my babies on my lap & tell them about you, but since I didn't get the chance, would you please hold them on your lap & tell them about me?"
    All are welcome!

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options

My husband and I took each other's names, combining two very French and somewhat long names, so if we feel kind our kid will have a relatively short name (because signing "Catherine Vxxxxxxx Lxxxxxx" hurts my wrist in itself hahaha).

I love the name Stella but every time I mention it DH yells "STELLLAAAAA" and pretends to rip his shirt off. Jerk.

~All are welcome~
    MC 23/01/2013 natural @ 7 Weeks

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"