May 2014 Moms
Options

Told the new company that I was Pregnant and staying at old company....

Last week, I was all nervous about telling the new company I was pregnant, and then I was offered a deal to stay at the old company I was presently leaving.  I was not leaving because I wanted to, I was leaving because my old boss screwed me.

I called the new company on Friday to tell them I was pregnant and staying at old company because they countered.

In less than a 2 second pause, she congratulated me and matched the offer (which I was embellishing, because old company did not know I was pregnant).
- 4 months FULLY paid maternity
- Potential for increase of salary
Then my potential new boss call me and basically said ALL THE RIGHT THINGS you say to a woman who just told you that she was pregnant...as well as every possible ego stroke you want to hear.

HR chick calls me back and basically says that they understand that I have a lot to think about and, "whatever it takes to not hear a no."

Old company gave me a guarantee that I asked for and I would be the head of the initiative.  It is work that I love to do.  It is the devil I know.  I also know I can have an infrastructure set up to roll however I need to at the end of my pregnancy...and when I return from leave.  There is a lot unknown at the new company...it's a new industry, even though I am the expert in my field on the team.  I get 3 months leave at old company.

Fiscally and rationally,  the new job is the black and white right decision.

But starting a job at 15 weeks pregnant?  I have an 8 year old with lots of school vacations that I am comfortable with old company to work from home or have her come in with me...I cannot do that with new as I am going to have to be balls to the wall for 5 months before I leave.

I am leaning OLD as it is the short-term decision that works for family...but I am terrified of making a long-term mistake.

Help! 

Re: Told the new company that I was Pregnant and staying at old company....

• Options

I started a new job and then found out I was pregnant. So you're in a good place :) Starting a new job is difficult. But you can do it!!! The benefits alone sound amazing. Remember why you started looking for a new job in the first place.

You are starting a new chapter as a Mom with two kids... make a fresh start at a new job.

Good luck!

• Options
    Wow, that's a tough one! I'm of the mind-set that once you see what kind of people you really work for (ie. that your boss screwed you), you have to make the gut-check call whether you really want to work for/with someone like that. Once bitten, twice shy... GL with your decision and let us know which one you end up with!
    Lilypie Maternity tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My old company boss has left the company.  That is why this opportunity is even being entertained.  New guy and he got a bunch of stuff done in three weeks the old bitch couldn't do all year.  People were just waiting for her to leave.

• Options
    Luckyu317Luckyu317 member
    edited November 2013
    I agree with pp, remember why you started looking for another job in the first place. When I switched companies I got an offer from new company for $10K more than I was making at old company for a technically lower position. Plus it was only a 15 min drive as opposed to the hour I was driving at old company. When I tried to put my 2 week notice in, old company immediately matched the offer to get me to stay. Once I thought about it I remembered why I wanted out in the first place. I took the offer w/ new company and was 100% happier. Go with your gut. Good luck!
  • Options
    I started looking only because I had to.  I really loved what I was doing.  With her departure...things can change and that is hard for me to leave.  I work in entertainment...I love it. Moving to the financial industry...It could be so boring.
  • Options
    What I have heard is that when you stay with the old company even if they are matching all the perks of the new company they will expect more an beyond what they are paying you. I would never stay at an old company if they didn't try to keep me before I was even thinking about leaving.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I would take a step back and evaluate the company as a whole. In my experience management trickles down and a good company will find a way to get things done even if there is a person (your old boss) impending progress.

Also I think you mentioned that your job will only be guaranteed for a year. A year from now? A year after you return from leave?

The first 6+ months after returning to work were the hardest for us as far as adjusting. I was looking for a job during that time and it was very stressful having to continue at a job where I was not happy. With that experience behind me, I would prefer to adjust to a new job before the birth of a child if I had the choice or would want to wait at least a year afterward.

Also consider if you are planning to have more children. Could you be in this same boat fairly soon? We had to put off TTC # 2 for about a year while I was looking for a new job, getting hired and putting in enough time to qualify for FMLA.

Good luck!!

little chkn born 06/30/11

baby chkn born 04/22/14

05/13 image 07/13

• Options
    It's is proven that people who accept a counter offer quit for good within a year. TAKE THE NEW JOB!! 4 months FULLY paid maternity????
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I hate starting a new job, but an upside would be that at least you have several months before baby is born to start making new friends and get comfortable with your new office. Do you think if you pass on this offer that you'll always wonder 'what if' later on? 

It's a tough decision, but good luck. I'm sure you will do what's best for your own situation.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    hfooter said:
    What I have heard is that when you stay with the old company even if they are matching all the perks of the new company they will expect more an beyond what they are paying you. I would never stay at an old company if they didn't try to keep me before I was even thinking about leaving.
    This. I hate counteroffers. If you value me as an employee, don't wait to do it until I've found another job.

• Options
    From everything you've said, it sounds like the new company values you a lot more than the old one. It's hard to break out of your comfort zone but consider how much more you will be worth professionally with experience in 2 industries. That is very hard to get. If the company is willing to work with you and said all the right things, it sounds like a leap worth taking. And could be much better for you in the long term.

GL with your decision!!
  • Options
    I know.  It's tough.  And there is some personal turmoil here.

The other reason I was leaning towards old job honestly....I have been through so much change in the past year. I live on Long Island and about 4 blocks out of the flood zone for Sandy...we had a tree fall on the house (with us in it). Add the job stress, moving out to fix the house, hubby and I stressed and not getting along and then getting along...the pregnancy, asking for the layoff and going through 8 rounds of interviews over 4 months with this new job.  

I would love a coast year. It may not be the smart long-term decision...but that's honestly why I have a death grip on this back and forth.

The crazy bitch is gone. This new guy guy knows he can't do it without me....I can coast a little. I selfishly want to do that. Like press pause for a guaranteed year.

I'm literally crying right now...I have to make final decision in 25 minutes.

• Options
    Ok, here's what I do when I am not sure...I make a list. It doesn't work for everyone but being objective may help. Make a list of pros and cons for each choice. It's not about the number of each but the big picture. Take a step back, a deep breath, try to relax. It's a big decision. You will make the right choice!
  • Options
    I just called to turn the job down at the new company.  They want to huddle up and give me another offer and see if they can convince me to come over.

This is insane.  I am almost nauseous that they are working this hard to get me in the building.

I just want a good night's sleep at this point.

• Options
    It sounds like they really want you. I agree, feel flattered! Without knowing exactly what the two jobs are, what do you think the down side of leaving the current job would be? Other than leaving your comfort zone (which I realize is a big enough reason to possibly stay!).
  • Options
    jjtyler said:
    I know.  It's tough.  And there is some personal turmoil here.

The other reason I was leaning towards old job honestly....I have been through so much change in the past year. I live on Long Island and about 4 blocks out of the flood zone for Sandy...we had a tree fall on the house (with us in it). Add the job stress, moving out to fix the house, hubby and I stressed and not getting along and then getting along...the pregnancy, asking for the layoff and going through 8 rounds of interviews over 4 months with this new job.  

I would love a coast year. It may not be the smart long-term decision...but that's honestly why I have a death grip on this back and forth.

The crazy bitch is gone. This new guy guy knows he can't do it without me....I can coast a little. I selfishly want to do that. Like press pause for a guaranteed year.

I'm literally crying right now...I have to make final decision in 25 minutes.

I understand your personal turmoil, I'm also a Long Islander and it's been a rough year for sure. We were lucky, our neighborhood lost a lot of trees, but somehow not a single one hit anyone's home. If you aren't ready to make the move, that's fine. Let them counter one more time, and then politely ask them to allow you to decline, that at this stage, you would personally feel uncomfortable making the transition now. Pregnancy is no joke, and they should allow you to graciously walk away. You are clearly the top contender in their mind, and with the job market here on the island, that is an amazing accomplishment. But if you aren't ready to take that leap, don't do it. No matter how much they beg you. You sound like you really want to stick it out with your current company and feel that you'll be happier there.

• Options
    sisterjanetsisterjanet member
    edited November 2013

jjtyler said:
    I just called to turn the job down at the new company.  They want to huddle up and give me another offer and see if they can convince me to come over.

This is insane.  I am almost nauseous that they are working this hard to get me in the building.

I just want a good night's sleep at this point.

My own feeling is go with the new company, but it's easy to say that since it's not my life that would be changing.  (In my own life, I like my rut.  I'm just seriously impressed by how much the new company wants you, and it sounds like an industry that might have more long-term job security.)

If you really truly don't want to switch companies, is there some way you can graciously acknowledge how hard they're trying to get you and be final in your decision to stick with the current company so they basically leave you alone and stop trying to come up with a sweeter deal?
  • Options
    First of all, congratulations on being so awesome that both companies want you so much, and also on the negotiating you did earlier in this process (original post)!  Clearly, you rock!  but maybe are forgetting that a little in the stress of having to make this decision?  It sucks to have to make such a big decision without a crystal ball, but on the other hand - given that you are *that* good, things will turn out OK (or better) either way.  

Usually I'd vote for going for the new job even though change is stressful and it doesn't seem like the best time in your life for change right now (but then again, does it ever?  not for me, really) but you said the new job is in the "financial sector" which sounds a little like "soul-killing" ...  you've said several times that you love the work you do at your current job.  What appealed to you about the new job when you first applied for it and progressed through the interview process?  Do you think it would have the sorts of challenges and opportunities that would keep you inspired and motivated?  Are you comfortable morally and in terms of longer-term financial stability with the company as a whole and their goals/business plan?   

One concern about the old job - you said the new guy knows he can't do it without you - is he competent? - will things fall apart when you're on maternity leave?  will you be worrying/stressing about it and not really able to take a proper leave?  It is great to be needed but it's also good to be working with a competent team. 

Are there any other differences between the jobs that will be important to your family life - big differences in commute time?  Travel expectations? Night-time/weekend event expectations?  Possible future relocation?

If you make the switch do you think that in a few years you might be able to switch back to the entertainment industry if you find you're still really missing that, or to some other sector?  As a previous poster said, having background in an additional sector could be really good for your resume, but I don't know how good mobility prospects are and how often opportunities come up in your field.  

Best wishes for making your final decision (after the new counter-offer) and whatever follows!

Me: 39  DH: 44  together since 2000 married 9/2004 TTC #1 since 2/2012
    BFP #1 6/5/2012  m/c 6/15/2012 about 5w3d   BFP #2 6/?/2013 m/c 7/1/2013 5w 3d
    BFP #3 8/25/2013  EDD 5/7/2014    DD A. born 5/8/2014!!  Love!!!!
  • Options
    So what ended up happening? Did you stick with your old company or did the other company make a new deal too good to pass up?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Hi....

The other company made it challenging, but the right decision for me was to stay at the old company.  With my tenure and experience, I think it would be best for at least the next year (which I have guaranteed)...things are progressing really well and honestly a couple of things happened already that solidified my decision.  I did cry like a baby when I finally got it through to the other company.  They had the global head of communications call me.

I had severe pain walking when it rained and the cold set in here in NY last week.  I have a surgically repaired hip joint due to a car accident a few years ago.  It appears that it may have retorn my labrum :-(  Since I cannot take any of the medications I was on pre-pregnancy, I have to go back to my ortho surgeon and synch up with my OB on a plan...this is all happening to me at week 15 without ANY extra weight....I can only imagine what will happen when I have a full size baby resting on the hips.  May mean bedrest, may mean work from home days....regardless, the flexibility of staying here means LESS stress at least (which after having pre-e the last pregnancy is a whole 'nother concern my OB is telling me over and over)

So, althought black and white, I 100% agreed that the new company was the better company and what I should have gone with....personally, I think it was best that I stayed. 
  • Options
    Glad you're happy with your choice!!

Bummer about your hips. :(
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"