June 2013 Moms
Options

Picking up baby by the arms

Maybe I'm going crazy, and I usually pick my LD by her armpits, but the people at day care grab her by her upper arms and pick her up that way.  Is this an okay way to pick them up or should they be supporting them more?  I'm concerned about dislocated arms, and nursemaid elbow, although I have never seen them pick them up by their hands / wrists.  Should I be concerned and mention something?  Day care is expensive, and I don't want to be in one that I'm worried about the development of my child and if she will  be injured.  Thanks in advance for the replies!!

Re: Picking up baby by the arms

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've heard its easy to dislocate their arms that way! I'd say something about it!
  • Options
    That would make me nervous. I would say something too!
  • Options
    I would definitely say something.
  • Options
    Say something for sure.Your never supposed to do that. I can't believe that would be going on at a daycare they should know better.
  • Options
    My elbow was dislocated in daycare when I was 2 because of this very thing. I would definitely say something.
    BFP #1: due 6/17/2013, DD born 6/25/13
    BFP #2: due 6/30/2017, MMC found 12/7/2016
    BFP #3: due 10/21/2018 
  • Options
    That's odd. Is it more than one person doing it? I'd definitely say something.

• Options
    Yeah, two of the teachers are doing it - they are older 'grandmother' types and I'm sure that's just what they have always done.  I have a pretty good relationship with them - as I am able to go visit her quite often if I want to - I'll probably just say something to them directly - I saw it before - but my husband picked up our LD today and he was really concerned when he saw that, so I thought I would ask!
  • Options
    @dribblez13 you could go about it really casually, like "I accidentally lifted LO by his shoulders yesterday and I think I hurt her, she needs extra care today"
                                                                  #Bodymber14 #Bodygate #itsMillerTime

Bradley 05-04-11 & Tyler 06-18-13
  • Options
    Yup I agree, def say something.

• Options
    I'm clearly not reading this the way everyone else is.  If they're picking her up and letting her hang, yes that's a problem because their arms can dislocate.  But I was thinking you meant her arms were by her side and the grabbed her upper arms and lifted her straight up - does that make sense?  I pick Quinn up that way and picked Aiden up that way too.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    Ok update - I called my pediatrician and she said that while picking up from the arms is not necessarily bad as long as you are gentle when doing it, she recommends picking up by the underarm instead. So I did then say something to the teachers about it (all of them) and they said no problem, they will pick her up by her underarms from now on. Now obviously I'm not there all the time so I will just have to watch if I can while I'm there. And hopefully they abide by my wishes!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"