January 2014 Moms
Options

If you got to decide how you would deliver your baby what would you choose?

MaderamomMaderamom member
edited November 2013 in January 2014 Moms

If you got to decide how you would deliver your baby what would you choose? 285 votes

Vaginal delivery
89% 256 votes
C- section
10% 29 votes

Re: If you got to decide how you would deliver your baby what would you choose?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Okay, I'm the lone c-section fan but it's really a SS situation. With DS I had to have an emergency c-section due to pre-e at 35 weeks. During the section they found a large cyst that DS was basically trapped under and there's no way a vaginal delivery would have been possible. Also, I had a very easy recovery and was completely off pain meds within a week after surgery.

I guess my opinion is highly skewed but since everyone was safe and recovery was easy I would choose it again without hesitation.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Another vote for stork. Painless and easy, right?

Missing Our July Sparkler
    BFP#1-11/12/12, MMC 1/16/13-baby stopped growing @ 9wks, found out at 13wks, D&E 1/25/13
    BFP#2-4/23/13 EDD-01/02/14 baby BOY born 12/31/13 Michael Cameron <3

• Options
    I would think this was crazy but my brother's ex wife was given the option and chose a c-section (LO was breech so the tentatively scheduled one, then he flipped, they gave her the option and she wanted the c/s). 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Stork.
  • Options
    Let DH deliver the baby...you know if I could move the belly over to him and let him push it out. 

I had an emergency c-section with DS at 30 weeks. My recovery was really smooth. No pain meds after day 4 and I was out and about (as long as someone else was driving) the day after I got home. That being said a vaginal delivery actually really scares me because my csection recovery went so smoothly and easily. I'm really torn about what I will be doing if given the option this time around.

• Options
    I had a hellish vaginal delivery with an eight week painful recovery. I am having a c section this time. I know it isn't a walk in the park but the vaginal thing will not be happening again...i couldn't if I wanted to. Which I do not.

remember everyone has their own story and experiences...it is not always black and white.
  • Options
    @maderamom given your last post about labor buddies, lets use this as a getting to know you opportunity. What did you personally select - vaginal delivery or section? I am curious.
    Baby Boy #2
    Due Date 11/10/16
  • Options
    I voted vaginal. I know its not a possibility but a girl can dream. Or stork. Yeah I choose stork.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Missed MC 11/17/10 Our little miracle born 1/27/12 Natural MC 7/19/12 Missed MC 1/22/13 Our family is complete DD 12/27/13
    Abnormal ANA, PAI-1 4G/4G homozygous

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    A couple years ago, I would have said c-section. I have friends who've had really bad vaginal births (4th degree tearing is real guys), and a section just seems so much more controlled and predictable. But then I did some more research, and changed my mind.

Maybe we can all just sneeze our babies out like the young mom in the What to Expect movie.
    DS1 12/30/13
    Miscarriage 3/15 at 10 weeks
    BFP 7/23/15 EDD 4/3/16

• Options
    Let DH deliver the baby...you know if I could move the belly over to him and let him push it out. 

OMG, y'all are way braver than me. I would never in a million years want my DH experiencing pregnancy and L&D. Hell no. He would be the biggest wuss ever. My life would be a million times more stressful, exhausting, and difficult if I had to listen to him whine and complain about everything. He'd probably put himself on bed rest and FMLA at the first sign of Braxton-Hicks.

I love him, but, well.. men are weak. Women? We know pain tolerance. ;)
    I wouldn't want to deal with H delivering also. For my answer, pre-DD, vaginal, post-DD, c-section.

• Options
    The reason why posted this is because my DH is trying to push me to have a C-section over Vaginal delivery, I'm a FTM and I want to do it's best for me and my baby not what he wants. I wanted to see what other moms would post and see why they chose what they chose, sorry if you think it's weird
  • Options
    Maderamom said:
    The reason why posted this is because my DH is trying to push me to have a C-section over Vaginal delivery, I'm a FTM and I want to do it's best for me and my baby not what he wants. I wanted to see what other moms would post and see why they chose what they chose, sorry if you think it's weird
    Which medical school did your DH go to? Does he want you to get a C-section because he is afraid delivery might mess up your lady bits, or does he have a legitimate concern? 

This should really be a discussion that you should have with your doctor. Any good doctor wouldn't schedule an unnecessary c-section. 

• Options
    Maderamom said:
    Why on earth is he pushing you for a c-section? I am truly interested to hear his reasons.

• Options
    Maderamom said:
    Unless there is some medical reason that you haven't disclosed, your DH is nuts. A c-section is major abdominal surgery.
    OHM born 12/16/11, BAM born 1/10/14, mmc 06/30/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I would never WANT a c-section (and i voted vaginal) but i also think this can be a grass is greener on the other side type thing.  I think some aspect of a c-section would be nice....like never experiencing a labor contraction, having much shorter pp bleeding, awesome drugs, no tearing/episiotomy recovery, no spritzer bottles (idk, do c sections have to do this) after use in the bathroom, and no hours of pushing cuz that shit hurt like a mutha.  I'm sure c-section recovery is also bad and comes with its own list of woes but i haven't experienced them so can't list them.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    My DH thinks I would be too stressed out/ crazy if I had to go thru labor, I have anxiety/depression and he thinks it's best for me. I don't agree with him but my doctor said I could have either one regardless if I want.
  • Options
    Maderamom said:
    My DH thinks I would be too stressed out/ crazy if I had to go thru labor, I have anxiety/depression and he thinks it's best for me. I don't agree with him but my doctor said I could have either one regardless if I want.
    Coming from someone who had a C/S, they will stress you out just as much as a vaginal birth....

________________________________________________________________________________________________

sibling love  

• Options
    Vaginal. Definitely. I had a laparoscopy (which is no where near as invasive as a csection) and hated the recovery. I could only imagine how I would possibly feel with a csection.

I would do it for medically necessary reasons, but I don't think stress constitutes as that. Delivery is stressful regardless. But, I'm a FTM going off what my friends (both csection and vaginal) are telling me.
    Dave and Kathleen - 09.12.09:
    Partially Complex (my blog)
  • Options
    Maderamom said:
    But what about all the endorphins and happy things your body releases during labor/birth? I don't buy into the idea that c-section mamas can't bond with their babies, but I think vaginal birth has an emotional advantage. Also, I think I'd be more likely to get depressed from dealing with all of the physical limitations that c-section recovery entails than I would be from a day or so of labor pains and the simpler recovery from vaginal delivery. That's my $0.02 (as a FTM who has a past with anxiety/depression).
    DS1 12/30/13
    Miscarriage 3/15 at 10 weeks
    BFP 7/23/15 EDD 4/3/16

• Options
    Maderamom said:
    Hmm... I think that perhaps your DH should remember that pregnancy and childbirth are stressful enough without having him put pressure on you to have an elective surgical birth if you don't want one.

If you want to deliver vaginally, and your doctor is fine with that then I think that is exactly what you should do.
    OHM born 12/16/11, BAM born 1/10/14, mmc 06/30/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    sugarland726sugarland726 member
    edited November 2013

From what I hear, Csection recovery is waaaay worse than a vaginal recovery. As someone who suffered from postpartum depression, I will tell you that an easy recovery will really help you if you do end up with PPD. Recovering from major surgery just sounds awful.

Well obviously that is a generalization that can be disproven time and again by anecdotes. Not every c-section is worse than vaginal. Some certainly are but I have heard some vaginal recoveries that make me want to cry.

• Options

From what I hear, Csection recovery is waaaay worse than a vaginal recovery. As someone who suffered from postpartum depression, I will tell you that an easy recovery will really help you if you do end up with PPD. Recovering from major surgery just sounds awful.

Well obviously that is a generalization that is can be disproven time and again by anecdotes. Not every c-section is worse than vaginal. Some certainly are but I have heard some vaginal recoveries that make me want to cry.

Agree, I see pros and cons to both vaginal and C/S deliveries.

However OP- I would not chose my birth plan to be a C/S. I would opt for a vaginal birth.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

sibling love  

• Options

Vaginal. Definitely. I had a laparoscopy (which is no where near as invasive as a csection) and hated the recovery. I could only imagine how I would possibly feel with a csection.

This.

Plus, it's flu and cold season. I got a chest cold after my laparoscopy (in Dec), and I felt like I was ripping my small amount of stitches out. It was not fun.

I would chose vaginal any day over c-section. It's a major surgery. Why put yourself through that unless it's medically necessary?

Married 3/17/2005
    M/C #1 2005 - 6wks
    M/C #2 2006 - 7wks
    M/C #3 2008 - 11wks
    Baby Aeneas Born 1/20/2014
  • Options
    I'm with the ladies who say stork or the fluffy disney characters one --yep, that sounds good!
    CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    I am having a RCS so I guess I am choosing in the sense that I have no interest in VBAC. I don't think my chances are good, I am just not hell bent on a vaginal birth and I particularly want to avoid an emergency csection.

Agree that the recovery varies. There are generalities but my SIL tore end to end (third degree) and had a WAY harder recovery than my section.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    There's only one hypnobirthing class near me and it conflicts with DH's work schedule so I opted to do the hypnobabies home course (I did this with DD also) and love it. It really helps me to relax and think positively about pregnancy, labor, and birth. 
  • Options
    I'd love to say poof.. And him be out!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for your input ladies! It was very helpful I have discussed some of these concerns with my DH and he has backed off a little and is more open-minded
  • Options
    after my labour experience with my son I am choosing a repeat c-section. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @maderamom good! He will never in his life have to experience being pregnant so any advice how to give birth is invalid.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"