Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Night time routine

My son is 3 1/2 weeks old, usually around 7-7:30 he gets very fussy to the point that nothing really sooths him. This has been happening for the past week or so...at first I was thinking it was something I was eating that was getting to him in the BM and then I started doing more research. I know babies get fussier at night but he was acting like it was pain, the more I'm reading I think it's overtired/overstimulated. I'm just curious what other parents have done to help with night time fussiness. Some places I've read say that infants should go to sleep around 6-7, has anyone tried that? What works for you and your baby?

Re: Night time routine

• Options
    I just left my ped doctor today for this .. well this was on the list Haha. It turned out he has light colic and A LOT of trapped air in his tummy during the day that gets worse as the day goes on and is the worst at night. So constantly trying to burp baby throughout the day even if he didn't just eat. Using white noise or rain sounds to relax him.

Keeping any stimulation at diaper changes towards later in the day to a minimum or the tv , Lights, etc at a low towards his fussy times. And for us seeing how hes been handled all day, tummy time, kissed galore lol he wants to be left alone at night. So laying him down in a clean diaper and comfy outfit hes good now.

I've also been told getting something you know baby likes ( like a quick warm bath Or nighttime lotion routine) is good to do as a part of a nightly routine so baby can expect it and will associate sleep after the event is over. Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    tonight for example! my daughter is 1 month old and she was so fussy today. she was also in play mode so i let her lay and play for a bit then she started to get fussy so i tried to feed her and she didnt even want that. so i give her a nice warm bath and that gets her quiet quick!!! after her bath she gets fussy again and then i dress her nice and warm and cozy and then i feed her full and then i hold her and rock her and she'll slowly doze off but tonight she was fussy so i just kept holding her and rocking her and let her cry in my arms. she didnt even want her bottle anymore. and she kept crying and slowly dozed off. i also sang her a cambodian lullaby my grandmother used to sing to me when i was little. and it did well. i think it's the nice warm bath that did it. and the full tummy. i held her tight to let her know that she's alright and cozy and in my arms.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    MrsH8611 said:
    I just left my ped doctor today for this .. well this was on the list Haha. It turned out he has light colic and A LOT of trapped air in his tummy during the day that gets worse as the day goes on and is the worst at night. So constantly trying to burp baby throughout the day even if he didn't just eat. Using white noise or rain sounds to relax him. Keeping any stimulation at diaper changes towards later in the day to a minimum or the tv , Lights, etc at a low towards his fussy times. And for us seeing how hes been handled all day, tummy time, kissed galore lol he wants to be left alone at night. So laying him down in a clean diaper and comfy outfit hes good now. I've also been told getting something you know baby likes ( like a quick warm bath Or nighttime lotion routine) is good to do as a part of a nightly routine so baby can expect it and will associate sleep after the event is over. Good luck!
    This.

And it could be purple crying. Check out his site
    https://purplecrying.info/
  • Options
    Yes, our daughter (2 months) goes to bed between 6:30-7:00 (closer to 7:00). If she is up later than that, she is just fussy and unhappy. She sleeps through the night now, but even when she did wake for middle of the night feedings, she would sleep 7:00-2:00, and then 3:00-8:00. Not too bad! Before we did the early bedtime, she was going to bed between 9:00-11:00. her sleep would not be consistent, and she was much fussier. I would try the early bedtime!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    How old was your daughter when you first tried the earlier bedtime?
  • Options
    I feed, change diaper, swaddle and rock to bed starting at 9 PM. LO gets up at 1 and 4 AM by themselves for feedings which takes an hour and a half until LO is back asleep.
  • Options
    billelisa said:
    How old was your daughter when you first tried the earlier bedtime?

I would say she was around 6 week? She is now almost 11 weeks.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My DS started being extremely fussy at 3 weeks. He would NOT calm down and it was exhausting...I know your pain! This is what I did:
    Stopped eating dairy
    Stopped eating eggs
    Stopped peanut butter
    "bicycle" his legs
    rub his tummy
    eventually I tried gripe water, it helps
    Things have gotten MUCH better!!!!! He is almost 6 weeks.
    Lilypie - (wpJS)

Kelsey Johnston's photo.  image  image 
    Lilypie - (6yLP)

• Options

My DS started being extremely fussy at 3 weeks. He would NOT calm down and it was exhausting...I know your pain! This is what I did:

Stopped eating dairy
    Stopped eating eggs
    Stopped peanut butter
    "bicycle" his legs
    rub his tummy
    I have cut out milk and try to limit dairy as much as possible, when it's cooked/baked in a recipe it doesn't seem to affect him. He only gets really fussy in the evening to the point that nothing will calm him. When you tried the gripe water did you bring back dairy, eggs and pb into your diet?
  • Options
    billelisa said:
    Stopped eating dairy
    Stopped eating eggs
    Stopped peanut butter
    "bicycle" his legs
    rub his tummy
    I have cut out milk and try to limit dairy as much as possible, when it's cooked/baked in a recipe it doesn't seem to affect him. He only gets really fussy in the evening to the point that nothing will calm him. When you tried the gripe water did you bring back dairy, eggs and pb into your diet?
    My Lo was the same until I cut out peanut butter.
    imageimageimage

• Options
    After my dd eats at 7pm she gets her bath, lotion, and pj's on.  She gets a bedtime story and then a song or two and we try to put her down before 8pm.  She usually gets up once or twice after this and cries but goes right back to sleep after we soothe her.  Then I wake her back up at 10 to feed her one last time and she usually goes right back to sleep after eating.  She then sleeps for 5 hours or more.  We started this routine about 1 month old and so long as we stick to it every night it is pretty consistent and nice knowing I will get those 5 hours of sleep before getting up to feed her.  As far as fussing and not stopping we tried "The Happiest Baby on the Block" method for soothing which worked wonders for us.  
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    We are a little loose as far as time goes, but it is always around 7-7:30. I turn the white noise on in our room, lay out her PJ's and swaddle wrap, and then give her a bath. Then, I dress her and swaddle her and she nurses until she falls asleep. The whole thing usually lasts about an hour. She then sleeps for about 5 hours. I'll be adding a bedtime story soon, but I'm scared to change up our routine as it will probably affect her sleep for a little bit. 
    Oh gosh I already commented on this post.
    WHOOPS.
    imageimageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"