Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Crying to sleep method???

I took my little Valentina today to get her 2 month check up and vaccines. Before we did the doctor went through her normal check up and informed us of her weight gain and height. Once she was done she went on to tell us about their advice on sleep training at two months. The pediatricians office believes the the crying method is the best method to get your baby to sleep through the night. They suggest that you pick 4 consecutive nights in which you and your spouse have nothing planned. She said to place the baby in the crib, drowsy, but awake btw 7-8pm and then not to come back until 7am!! Let the baby cry as long as it takes, she even said she might cry for an hour or longer!!! First night would be the worst and so on and so forth but by the fourth night, 99% of babies will sleep through the night. Has anyone tried this??? does it work??? I don't think I would be able to do it...there must be a better way! Please help...
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}

Re: Crying to sleep method???

• Options
    Yikes! No way is that a good idea. I'd be looking for a new doc.
    4 years TTC including countless tests, 2 surgeries, and one failed IUI
    Scheduled IVF for April 2013--SURPRISE, don't need it! DD Born 9/7/13 
    Ectopic pregnancy Sep/Oct 2014 ended in surgery, and many trips to the ER
    Miracle #3: EDD 11/28/16

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Terrible advise! I agree with everyone else!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Oh my...I would be running far far away from that doctor!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers.
    image image image. image
  • Options
    That sounds like neglect. I would get a new dr asap.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers 
  • Options
    That is insane. So if the baby is hungry during the night or needs changed too bad for him? I agree with pp, that's neglect. Find a new doctor ASAP.
  • Options
    Let me add that my 2 month old sleeps through the night. 7pm-7am, and I have not once let her cry it out. In fact, the second she fusses or cries in the crib, I come to the rescue...there are other ways.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    TashnBabiiTashnBabii member
    edited October 2013

Yikes! No way is that a good idea. I'd be looking for a new doc.

This. You're supposed to care for a baby, not ignore them when they cry. The only thing that teaches them is that you won't come to them when they cry. I seriously got shivers down my spine just thinking about That. My advice: seriously consider getting a new doctor for your LO.
  • Options
    Run
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    Carolina2727Carolina2727 member
    edited October 2013
    Wow so what was your method?? I agree that the pediatrician was wrong but in her defense she made it clear that it was policy that she had to tell us about it but that it wasn't necessarily the best method in her opinion. My heart breaks to even hear my daughter whimper in bed for more than 5 min let alone an hour! I will NOT be using that insane method!!!!!! For now, Valentina is doing great with 5 and 6 hour long stretches of sleep. I will be looking into other ways of sleep training! Btw has anyone read and tried "The Contented Little Baby Book" by Gina Ford?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Options
    when i first started that method i went in and out of her room to reassure her i was there and she didn't cry long either especially when she was really tired she would doze off and sometimes cry and get herself tired, plus before i put her in her room i change her diaper and feed her full. and now that i did that she sleeps through the night, she'll do little whines here and there but she actually sleeps through the night and i get tons of sleep. before i put her to bed i give her a bath and get her ready for bed and i notices she knocks out so fast after bath time.
  • Options
    I wouldn't follow that advice, just follow your motherly instincts on what is best :)
    Lilypie - (wpJS)

Kelsey Johnston's photo.  image  image 
    Lilypie - (6yLP)

• Options
    jmo866jmo866 member
    edited October 2013
    Wow so what was your method?? I agree that the pediatrician was wrong but in her defense she made it clear that it was policy that she had to tell us about it but that it wasn't necessarily the best method in her opinion. My heart breaks to even hear my daughter whimper in bed for more than 5 min let alone an hour! I will NOT be using that insane method!!!!!! For now, Valentina is doing great with 5 and 6 hour long stretches of sleep. I will be looking into other ways of sleep training! Btw has anyone read and tried "The Contented Little Baby Book" by Gina Ford?
    She is doing great. Don't worry about sleep training, sleep will come. If, by the time she is a bit older, it starts to become an issue (with us, it was taking me 3+ hours to get my older son to go to sleep at night) then maybe look into some training. If you want to gently help your daughter to have good sleeping habits, then perhaps read the Sleep Lady book, 'Good Night, Sleep Tight'. She has age appropriate suggestions of how to help your child become a better sleeper, and will talk about how many hours they should might be able to sleep at each age. Your daughter is right on track.

ETA: Just so you know, the Cry it out method can take much longer than an hour, your Dr. was sugar coating it for you. It can go on for longer than that.

• Options

This is terrible!! You need to find a new pedi and please do NOT do this.

Awful, just awful.

• Options
    Wow... I let my DD cry but NOT at 2 months and NOT for hours on end. At 6 month if she cried I let her cry for like 15 minutes tops. Then I would go in pick her up and soothe her then lay her back down. STTN and a good sleep schedule will come when your LO is ready, now is not the time to do it. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    It makes me so sad that a doctor is telling patients this. at least you have good sense and know it is wrong. I hope his or her other patients are ignoring as well. 
  • Options
    So pedi obviously doesn't believe in feeding on demand either?!? Your LO is STTN according to the age. That is an awful policy and the sad thing is apparently some parents are following the advice. I do find it hard to believe 99% are sleeping 7-7 by day four.

image image
  • Options
    You absolutely do not have to let your child cry it out. There is never a reason to just ignore your child's cries. That is neglect and abuse in my opinion. Have you heard of the "No Cry Sleep Solution" book? It is great and helps you establish a bedtime routine and healthy habits to promote sleep. Give it a go!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I am not judging anyone but I MYSELF would never do that.. My 20 month old gets out of his toddler bed and cried for 5-10 minutes at the most and then gets back in his bed and falls asleep.. And I only did this by accident the first time bc I'm 36 weeks pregnant and was throwing up and couldn't go get him! By the time I could he was cuddled back up in bed with his blanket.. We put a gate at his door and everything in his room is child proofed.. His dresser is even screwed to the wall bc he loves opening it and it used to lean forward if he opened it too hard.. But no I never would have let my infant cry to sleep like that.. My heart would hurt for him!
  • Options
    Oh hell no! We didn't do modified CIO with Lucas until he was around 9 months.

We follow EASY, but actually do AESY. Activity (bath or play mat time) Eat, put her in the RnP to sleep and then we lay down. EASY is eat, activity, sleep, yourself (you go to bed)
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options
    As a mother of 2 I would punch that dr in the face....
    Idiot find a new dr o tell them thats ridiculous to do to any child under 1
    1st loss 8/31
    2nd pregnancy -TWINS lost DD1 twin at 8 weeks 6 days DD1 born 6 weeks early
    3rd pregnancy- TWINS AGAIN lost both babies at 9 week appt
    4th pregnancy- singleton- born at 38 weeks 1 day with the help of weekly 17P injections
    5th pregnancy- CP in June
    6th pregnancy It's a BOY

• Options
    If that is an office policy they are giving at the best incredibly outdated information but I would consider it completely neglectful and possibly dangerous. Most babies at 2 months still really need at least one nighttime feeding, skipping that is risking weight loss, failure to thrice and a host of other issues. I would run so far away from that practice. It sounds like your little one is doing great 5-6 hour stretches at her age is amazing. My 2 year o,d doesn't even have stretches that long. Keep doing what you are doing.
  • Options

I wouldn't do CIO until they are actually able to self-soothe around 6 months (or just not do it at all).  I would be looking for a new doctor based on that terrible advice.

Yep. Please do not do this. Please. :((

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Options

I am not judging anyone but I MYSELF would never do that.. My 20 month old gets out of his toddler bed and cried for 5-10 minutes at the most and then gets back in his bed and falls asleep..

20 months =/= 2 months...

I know you concluded that you wouldn't let an infant CIO, but even bothering to compare the sleep training of a toddler to that of a newborn is pointless.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Options
    No way! Babies under four months of age do not have the neurological maturity to pull it together, relax, and fall asleep on their own. I would be looking for a new pediatrician. 
  • Options
    Nicole7700Nicole7700 member
    edited October 2013

Hell to the no. I only  have a fourteen day old, but that would be cruel. If your doc is telling parents to leave babies under six months unattended for twelve, somebody needs to fire that doctor, asap.

• Options
    Wtf?!!! Your pedi is a moron!!! Two month olds still need to eat every 3-4 hours. If they go longer ON THEIR OWN then great.
  • Options
    What is going on in this 0-3 month forum?? There have been some scary and sad situations brought up!!

The earliest I would do CIO is 6mo. If even then!!
  • Options
    They want you to leave your baby alone for 12 hours?  That sounds like torture.  

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    If she's sleeping 5-6 hour stretches why would you even consider sleep training? There is no problem to fix!
    Due with #5 April 22, 2015. It's a girl!!!!! 

Yes it was planned, yes we know what causes that, no we are not on public assistance, and yes we will be getting cable after this. ;)

• Options
    Nope...listening to him cry in the back of my car from his carseat is too much as it is. I couldn't imagine purposely doing it...
    And honestly, I'm celebrating a 4 hour sleep stretch at night, 5-6 is perfect IMHO

image image  image  image

• Options
    Get a new doc. Not to be melodramatic but Her advice could cause serious abandonment issues later in life. That is not the age to start nor is it the proper way to do CIO, which i do believe in and it does work for many people. One poster was right when they pointed out that 2mos don't know how to self-sooth yet so just letting them cry throughout the night without any attention from you could be harmful physically and psychologically and wouldn't do a darn bit of good anyway. They still require much of the same type of attention and attentiveness that a newborn does and denying them that could be argued as neglectful. There's an appropriate age for CIO and anytime before 6mo is not it.
  • Options
    Oh wow I couldn't possibly do that!! There's no way that could possibly be good for a baby!!! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"