Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Formula Recipe

Does anyone make their own formula?  I have heard of some older moms doing this in the past.

Re: Formula Recipe

• I think formula has come a long way-- I wouldn't attempt to make my own. What does your ped say?
  • I have done a lot of research on homemade formulas. Although I haven't actually tried it yet. I'm currently EPing and sometimes think about switching to formula. I'm not big on the commercial formulas though.
    I've found recipes on passionatehomemaking.com and westonaprice.org
    Hope this helps!
  • Loading the player...
  • TradeMama said:

I think formula has come a long way-- I wouldn't attempt to make my own. What does your ped say?

I agree. Formula has been specifically created to be the best possible thing to feed your baby next to breastmilk. Some even comes close to mimicing breastmilk. You will not be able to make your own that will meet all of your babies nutritional and vitamin requirements.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers 
  • I feed my baby Holle. It's from Europe and is free of added sugar and DHA/ARA. I was buying organic formula here, but after some research online I decided that this was a better fit for my baby. I buy it on eBay for about the same cost of the organic formula I was buying here.  
  • I feed my baby Holle. It's from Europe and is free of added sugar and DHA/ARA. I was buying organic formula here, but after some research online I decided that this was a better fit for my baby. I buy it on eBay for about the same cost of the organic formula I was buying here.  
    Out of curiosity- what's the issue with added DHA/ARA. It's benefits have been highly researched and proven.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Yes, DHA/ARA are great for brain/eye development. Unfortunately the DHA in most American formulas is genetically modified- even in organic brands- and extracted using hexane, a neurotoxic byproduct of gasoline refinement. Anything that says "Life's DHA" is created using this process. Here is an article that explains it: https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/04/01/gmo-infant-formula.aspx
    Of course you can find way more info on Google. 
  • I wouldn't even know where to start with making formula. Honestly, I wouldn't want to risk my child's health attempting to make my own formula. Personally, I'm not confident enough to make my own formula!
  • I agree the statement of breastfeeding being best is somewhat annoying (kind of like rubbing salt in a wound), but as historical reference, when formula was introduced, doctors were actually telling moms that formula was better.  I think the statement is required by law so that the formula companies do not start making outlandish statements that their formula is better or even equivalent.  Seems outdated, but all the information about the benefits of breastfeeding is still not understood even in parts of this country. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"