March 2014 Moms
Options

ANOTHER registry question

Must be the season for registries ;)

Is it tacky to register for gift cards at your selected location?  DH's mom and my mom are currently divided on the issue.  I personally don't feel strongly either way, but haven't really given it much thought - I could take them or leave them on the actual registry. DH's mom thinks it's nice because it lets people know they have that option and/or that we wouldn't be offended by a gift card over an "actual" gift.  My mom feels like it's just plain tacky.  Ladies, what do you think??
BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Re: ANOTHER registry question

• Options
    I don't think it's tacky??? All the registries I've done require you to select whether you'd like gift cards as well or not. It's just part of the registry IMO.
    imageimage

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Don't do it!  Asking for money (a.k.a. gift cards) is tacky and there is NOTHING discreet (not discrete...) about how they put them on the registry print out.  Also - unless people buying you gifts are impossibly stupid, they know gift cards exist and that most people are happy to get them.  They don't need it on the registry to have it as an option.

That said - getting GCs and that stupid VIB card *off* a BRU registry seems to be the previously unknown 13th labor of Hercules.  It's awful and if I can't figure out how (I've been in the store twice and on the phone once) I'm going to delete the whole works.
  • Options
    I don't think it's a big deal, and whether or o not you register for them you are going to wind up with a bunch!

When you sign up for your babies r us registry there is an option to mark off if you would like gift cards there. I think it's near where you also mark off a request for batteries with battery operated gifts. I marked yes for both.
  • Options
    I would add it. People will get them if they want to. I got a ton of gift cards along with gifts.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ceh789 said:

Don't do it!  Asking for money (a.k.a. gift cards) is tacky and there is NOTHING discreet (not discrete...) about how they put them on the registry print out.  Also - unless people buying you gifts are impossibly stupid, they know gift cards exist and that most people are happy to get them.  They don't need it on the registry to have it as an option.

That said - getting GCs and that stupid VIB card *off* a BRU registry seems to be the previously unknown 13th labor of Hercules.  It's awful and if I can't figure out how (I've been in the store twice and on the phone once) I'm going to delete the whole works.
    I called the customer service 800 number and they took the Vib card right off

I figure people assume that if you're registered there you'd like gift cards there. No need to say it.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for all the input!

We're at BBB, where it seems you have to specifically add them rather than just say "yes, we'd like to receive gift cards." Any one know otherwise?
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I wouldn't put it on an invite or registry list, but if it's an item 'scanned' on your registry I think that's fine. as PPs said, people know that gift cards are welcome.

• Options
    i dont see anything wrong with it. like PP have said, if they are going to get you something, they will be looking for the item on your registry. Target asked me if i wanted to have it on my registry. If they are going to get you a gift card, i doubt they'll take the time to look on your registry. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    i don't thinks its tacky at all!  you may not personally know what diaper brand, formula, etc you are going to use prior to baby arriving.  gift cards are a great option because it gives you options after LO is born.  you could word it on the invite as gifts cards also welcomed.  
  • Options
    I just think it's redundant.
    image image
    D: Born 7.14.11
    Baby #2: BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
    O: Born 3.2.14 (med-free!)
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!  I'm thinking since it OFFENDS my mother and MIL is less concerned, I'll probably take them off for now... These are definitely the things no one mentions to you when you're registering!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I don't think it's a big deal at all. Do whatever you'd like.
  • Options
    Doesn't BRU have some VIP bucks thing that you can scan into your registry? I had it, no one added to it and just gave me gift cards on their own.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"