April 2013 Moms

Have you switched to a convertible car seat yet?

JSS1002JSS1002 member
edited October 2013 in April 2013 Moms
Please include information about your childs height, weight, and sitting ability! We are deciding whether or not to switch from infant seat to convertible -- DH is hesitant, saying "once we switch 'em, we're not going back!" and I'm all for it, because frankly, at 22 lbs + the weight of the seat, it is getting too heavy for me to carry! J is sitting up on his own and we just started him forward-facing in the stroller. Curious who has / has not done this, and what your child weighs and whether or not you've regretted it.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Have you switched to a convertible car seat yet? 130 votes

We are still using an infant seat.
78% 102 votes
We have switched to a convertible!
21% 28 votes

Re: Have you switched to a convertible car seat yet?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I switched. DS weighs 19lbs 8oz and is 28.5". He was just getting too heavy for me to carry around. But I regret the switch now because this Graco Size4Me 70 is super hard to buckle and get the harness tight! It's such a hassle getting him in and out that I avoid making extra stops when I'm out. He can sit alone btw.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • We're still using the infant seat. Mostly because James is still in the convertible and I'm waiting for a deal on his new seat before I switch them, but I do sometimes still put the infant seat in the snap n go if I am running errands with her and she's sleeping. Other than that, the seat pretty much stays in the car now and we just take her out of it.
    This is what we're hesitant on -- can't just plop the infant seat in the stroller and let him keep snoozing once we switch... although I suggested we could certainly keep the infant seat in the trunk (I have a large SUV), for moments like that, as the stroller is pretty easy to convert from forward facing to infant-seat supporting.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • DS is a skinny but long peanut at 14lbs 10oz and 26.5 in. He's still in his infant car seat. We will probably switch him in another few months or when he gets close to the height limit for his seat (30").

• Still using the infant seat but will be buying a convertible seat this week. I agree with you, 21lbs + the seat is just WAY to heavy!!
    BabyFruit Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Still using the infant seat but will be buying a convertible seat this week. I agree with you, 21lbs + the seat is just WAY to heavy!!

Yeah, and it is hard on my wrist, which still is not healed from that stupid IV during delivery (a whole other topic).

We have the seats, they've been sitting in the garage, just have to find time to install!  I think I'm going to suggest that we switch, but keep the infant seat in the trunk of my car in case we have moments where he wants to sleep in the stroller.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Still in the infant but it stays in the car.
  • We switched a couple months ago because she was hating the bucket. She wasn't anywhere near the limits. She seems to travel much better.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • He still in the infant car seat but it stays in the car. When I am going anywhere I tend to just wear him. He is okay with the stroller attachment also. He is 19 pounds and 28 1/2 inches.
  • I have stopped carrying him in the infant seat when he was like 5 months old, I left it in the car. 

I switched him two weeks ago and he was 20.5lbs and 30 inches two weeks ago. So he was over height limit anyways

• I bought an infant seat with a 32" limit so we could make it through the first winter in it. It's so much easier to cover the seat with blankets (or a shower cap style cover) and move her in it than worry about changing her in and out of a jacket in the convertible seat. I basically just throw the seat in the stroller now so I don't have the carry it. DD3 is 15 lbs 4oz and approx 28" at 7 months.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • We still use the infant seat but we frequently just leave it in the car and take baby out of it like you would a convertible seat. I'm not sure how much he weighs or what his length is at the moment.  We have his 6 month appointment in a couple weeks. 
  • We're still in the infant seat but I'm considering buying a convertable for her for Christmas. Ava is 15 lbs and 25" long so she is also way under the 30lb/30" limit of our Chicco. She doesn't like the seat and cries if she isn't sleeping in the car. She has been sitting up on her own since 4 months and is standing and crawling now.
  • melissad23melissad23 member
    edited October 2013
    We haven't yet - and go to the dr on Friday so I'll know her stats, but my guess is close to 16 lbs and 27ish inches long. It is getting heavy, but I'm holding out in hopes that the grandparents will get her a seat for Christmas :). Otherwise, we'll probably make the switch sometime after the first of the year.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My daughter is 17 pounds and only 25.5 inches. She's nowhere near growing out of her infant seat and still seems comfy in it. I will install the convertible when she's longer comfy or outgrows the height limit (it will be a while).

My son outgrew his between 9-10 months by height, although he was nowhere near the weight limit for the seat. We switched him then.
  • We are still in the infant seat as well.

LO is probably around 17 lbs, so even though she's far from outgrowing it - I agree with you that it's getting heavy :/

Her being asleep is not so much an issue, as she is awake more often than not when we go somewhere.... but it's much easier as either one of us can drop her off and pick her up from daycare with just one seat if we leave her in it.

We will probably suck it up for most of the first year with the bucket. Mainly b/c it's SO much easier to put a blanket on her to keep her warm and not have to deal with trying to find a car seat safe jacket. Plus we need to buy two convertible seats - NOT looking forward to that!

"I won't give up on us, even if the skies get rough, I'm giving you all my love, I"m still looking up."
    TTC #1 since August 2011 MFI Diagnosis - April 2012
    IVF #1 - July 2012 - Stims start 7/2, ER 7/12, 20 retrieved, 16 mature, 13 fertilized!
    ET - 7/17 - 1 blast transferred. Beta - 7/26 273, Beta 2 7/30 - 1143. Beta 3 8/6 - 11,597
    12/25 - Santa tells us "IT'S A GIRL!" EDD - April 4th

Our Little Easter Bunny has arrived!

Molly Mildred born 03/31/13

TTC A Sibling....... FET #1 11/14/14, Transferred one beautiful blast

Remaining four frosties arrested due to "embryologist error"

Plllllleasssee stick little icicle.....Beta 11/23...BFN

Starting ALL over with a fresh IVF cycle

Stims start 11/28/14, ER December 10th, 13 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, only 4 fertilized 

1 Blast Transferred on December 15th..... Beta Christmas Eve... Please Santa, bring me a baby!

Beta #1 345.....Beta #2....750/ First U/S 1/13/15/HB 131....EDD 9/2/2015

• After research & talking with my Peditrician we will be leaving DD in her infant seat as long as possible (until her height or weight is close to max). The infant seat is the safest in a car crash and safety is most important! I do not carry her in the seat anymore too heavy. I carry her on my hip and the car seat separate or I make multiple trips to the car. Lol if DH is with me he just carries her in it.... But we all can't be strong like superman ;)
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We still use the infant seat and will for a while. Baby girl was 13 lb 10 oz and 25" at her six month appointment. We're going to get our money's worth out of this seat!
  • DD is still in the infant seat. She is 14 lbs 14 oz and 25 inches. We'll keep her in the infant seat for as long as possible to avoid carseat coat issues as PP mentioned. When we switch her, we'll also probably switch DS to forward facing so no hurry there either.
  • The girls are around 27" tall and 17-18 lbs each.  The are both in infant seats because they can't sit up on their own yet, and the logistics of getting them plus a 2 yo into and out of daycare is daunting.  So, the girls will stay in their carriers until my arms fall off, or they outgrow them, or they can walk.  I suspect my arms will fall off first.

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• skaraffa said:
    We still use the infant seat and will for a while. Baby girl was 13 lb 10 oz and 25" at her six month appointment. We're going to get our money's worth out of this seat!

This is us exactly...weight and height.  Little Peanuts!

I am like most of the comments tho and leave the seat in the car most of time and just carry her. She sits up great by herself and has for sometime.

• I'd like to see the research about the infant seat being the safest because I do not believe that for a second. All seats are equally safe when used correctly. Seats pass on a pass/fail standard, not a grading scale.

Our girls were moved to convertibles at 5 months because carrying 50lbs around was not working anymore. Though we kept the infant seats in the trunk for taking them into restaurants and such when they couldn't sit up on their own.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • He's 19#3oz but I'm not in a huge hurry to switch. He may get a new car seat for Christmas as his "need" gift though, since he doesn't really have any other "needs" right now and I know grandparents will spoil him with clothes and toys. We'll see.
    "As soon as I saw you I knew an adventure was going to happen." ~Winnie the Pooh
  • We just switched Sunday (I took the other crap one back and bought a decent one). She was at the height limit for our infant carrier.

I hate how much of a hassle it is now. We are already dealing with a winter coat that I have to take on and off constantly and she hates it. Can't wait until we have to deal with snow as well... Not.
  • DD is 27 inches and 16 lbs. We're still in the infant seat, but we're looking into convertible seats now.
    Married July 3, 2009 | Furbaby Trevor July 15, 2009 | Furbaby Darcy May 15, 2010 | BFP August 14, 2012 | DD April 18, 2013
  • A month ago we were 2 inches from the height limit so I would like to decide on one soon. He's not close to 35lbs but he does sit up. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We switched 2 weeks ago and I like it a lot.  LO is creeping up on 20lbs/29in and the bucket was getting to be too heavy for me.  He also seems happier being able to look out the side windows!
    imageimageimage
  • DS was 19 lb 7 oz and 27" at his 6-month appt two weeks ago. We are still in our infant seat (Chicco KeyFit 30) for now, but he is obviously not going to last too much longer in it. I am currently going cross-eyed reading everything on the Internet about convertibles. I was half sold on the Recaro ProRide, but apparently it is too tall to use in a Toyota Prius and still be able to get the kid in and out. The Diono Radian also caught my eye, but may present the same problem as it is a tall and narrow seat. I may just go with the Chicco NextFit.
    Over-40 parents...what we lack in vigor, we make up for with cunning.
  • I'm not positive of M's weight and height, but about a month ago he was 24.5" and only 14.5 pounds.  Just this week he has started sitting unassisted for several minutes at a time.  We're going to switch him in a month or so.  We barely use the infant seat to carry him around into stores, but I do love it for the stroller so we can see him while we walk.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• We've been using a convertible seat since day 1. (Well...day 3.) :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • DD is a small baby (she was 13 pounds 15 ounces, 25 inches at her 6 month appt).  She's still comfortable in the carrier and I plan to leave her in it until she seems annoyed by it or she outgrows it.
  • Lhyacinth888Lhyacinth888 member
    edited October 2013
    We will be switching in December when our car seat expires. If it wasn't expiring I would probably keep her in there as long as possible! Oh and she is 13 lbs 4 oz and 27 inches long (my tall beanpole) and decent at sitting.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • A month ago we were 2 inches from the height limit so I would like to decide on one soon. He's not close to 35lbs but he does sit up. 

I skipped the word "not" when reading your second sentence and was like holy $hit...giant baby alert. Phew!! ;)
  • We switched at three months when she hit 20lbs, she is much more comfortable now. Although I do miss the ease of the snap and go, I just switched to wearing her which works well for us. She is now 24ish pounds and 30ish inches, 2 pounds and 2 inches over our car seat limits. I am so grateful we got her seat from my SIL because I never would have gotten my moneys worth from an infant seat!
  • chgibeau said:

I'd like to see the research about the infant seat being the safest because I do not believe that for a second. All seats are equally safe when used correctly. Seats pass on a pass/fail standard, not a grading scale. Our girls were moved to convertibles at 5 months because carrying 50lbs around was not working anymore. Though we kept the infant seats in the trunk for taking them into restaurants and such when they couldn't sit up on their own.

Thank you Jordan! It's ridiculous to think that one car seat is more safe than another. As long as it's installed safely, they all meet the guidelines.

Also, I don't understand why people are so concerned about LO sitting up in regards to the carseat. LO doesn't have to be able to sit up in order to use a convertible car seat (at least I've never heard of one and all the ones I've seen are rated for newborns and they can't sit up).

I believe the Clek Foonf is the only convertible that's rated for 6 months/unassisted sitting on, and that's because it doesn't recline enough for an infant.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • We just switched yesterday. A few weeks ago, at her 6mo check up, she was 15lbs 4oz and 26" long. We chose the Graco My Size 70. So far, she loves it! She appears to be much more comfortable :-).

~10.23.10 - Mr&Mrs ~ 04.12.13 - Daddy&Mommy~

Every Super Star needs a Sidekick! Miss B. is being promoted to BIG SIS ~ January 2015!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Baby GIRL #2 is due Jan. 7, 2015!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"