Homeschooling

Halloween Plans

Anybody taking part in any fun Halloween events this year? What are your kids going to be for Halloween? Have you incorporated anything regarding Halloween into your homeschooling plans?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge Him,and He shall direct your paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6

Re: Halloween Plans

• We're going to my Aunt's house this Saturday for a Halloween party.  We'll carve pumpkins, eat dinner, and spend time with my family.  Usually my parents host but they're in the middle of a kitchen remodel.

On Halloween we'll dress the girls up and take them trick or treating around the neighborhood.  We don't have a ton of neighbors, so we probably won't be out much longer than an hour or so. 

As far as costumes go, this year I'm terrible and haven't really planned anything too well.  I have a cute butterfly costume from Old Navy that Emma wore when she was 2, so I think Lily will be re-using that one.  Emma has a lof of cute little fairy type dresses (similar to the one she's wearing in my sig pic) so I think maybe she'll be a fairy princess or something.  I have to figure out a way for it to be warmer for her though since we're in Michigan.  I hate having to throw a turtleneck and pants under her dress, but we'll figure something out.

• Ritzy19Ritzy19 member
    edited October 2013
    As far as any activities, I haven't done much.  We've covered more topics relating to fall in general than Halloween specifically. 

• Loading the player...
  • wifeofadamwifeofadam member
    edited October 2013
    I try to downplay it as much as possible around here because I don't like all of the death imagery and scary stuff.  We've done ToT before just letting the kids go up and down our short street, but since my oldest has food allergies, he can't eat the majority of the stuff he gets.  This year he's on a strict diet and he can't eat anything with sugar, so it seems unfair to have him go ToTing just to confiscate his whole bag of treats.  I'm actually relieved, because I dislike Halloween a lot and this gives us a good reason not to participate.  The kids do like dressing in costumes and we have family who love seeing them in the costumes, so we've decided that this year we'll dress the kids up (oldest is Mario, #2 is Luigi, #3 is Princess Star - her own imaginary princess- and #4 is a horse).  The only fun part of Halloween for me is coming up with costumes because we usually try to make them ourselves.  The kids will be involved in that this year and I may get to boys to try sewing some of the easy stuff as a school lesson.  I plan to dress the kids up and drive them around to some of our family members' houses so they can ring their doorbells and say hi.

As far as school goes, we will talk about the origins of Halloween and how we should approach it as Christians.  I'm trying to tie in a good character study, talking about hospitality.  We don't want to give out candy, so the kids will spend next week making some crafts (spider rings and necklaces) and we'll hand those out if people ring our doorbell.  This will be the first year the kids will be in charge of all of that.

My church also has a fall festival next week that we may go to and let the kids dress up for and we'll do our annual pumpkin carving but that's about it.

• It's funny, I've been thinking a ton about Halloween. In the Christian world there is so much debate about it. 

We have ToT since dd1 was little. Our neighborhood is small and family orientated. Dd1 is going to be Princess Leia, dd2 will be an ewok, and ds is going to be yoda! I feel like this is a great time to make relationships with the people in our neighborhood. 

I am not teaching on Halloween yet, just doing fall things. When they get a little older, we will study reformation day.  

DD1 | Jan 2009
    DD2 | June 2011
    DS1 | Oct 2013
       ADD3 | Oct 2014 (April 2001)
    DS2 | June 2016
    DS3 | Dec 2018

Due with baby blob August 2021

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We went to a ToT event at our library today.  I usually take the girls to the preschool story time on Tuesday afternoons, and today they had the kids come in costume and ToT around the city building across the street. 

I think Gwyneddlesliegrace made a great point about using ToTing as an opportunity to form relationships with neighbors that you wouldn't otherwise get a chance to talk to.  We just moved to our neighborhood last year, so this is a great opportunity to meet more people.

• It's funny, I've been thinking a ton about Halloween. In the Christian world there is so much debate about it. 

We have ToT since dd1 was little. Our neighborhood is small and family orientated. Dd1 is going to be Princess Leia, dd2 will be an ewok, and ds is going to be yoda! I feel like this is a great time to make relationships with the people in our neighborhood. 

I am not teaching on Halloween yet, just doing fall things. When they get a little older, we will study reformation day.  
    Are y'all Lutheran? We are and I was just curious since you mentioned studying Reformation Day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyName Ticker Lauren's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • We're Lutheran.  Missouri Synod.

• Ritzy, we're also Missouri Synod.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyName Ticker Lauren's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Are y'all Lutheran? We are and I was just curious since you mentioned studying Reformation Day!
    We're not. Grew up in the Assemblies of God. Our church now is loosely affiliated with the American Baptist, though we are more non-dom. I just appreciate ML. :) Nope. 

DD1 | Jan 2009
    DD2 | June 2011
    DS1 | Oct 2013
       ADD3 | Oct 2014 (April 2001)
    DS2 | June 2016
    DS3 | Dec 2018

Due with baby blob August 2021

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"