Dads & Dads-to-be

LO sleeping issues and how you deal with them

This week has been hell for us concerning the little guys lack of sleeping during the night.  The last couple nights he only sleeps for an hour or two at most, then he starts fussing until he cries.  When we feed him he will only eat 2 oz. and then he passes out.  We can't keep him awake to keep eating so that he sleeps more.

Because I work during the week, DW tends to get up a lot during the night and she's at her wits end.  

How do you guys handle sleeping issues during the night?  

Re: LO sleeping issues and how you deal with them

• The good news is, its a phase.  Bad news, can't tell you how long the phase will last... it could be a week or two, or it could be months.

How to fix it?  Right before bed, give him a bottle... even if he ate just an hour before.  If it appears that it is food that is triggering his fussing, send your little man to bed with a full tummy.  If nothing else, it should buy you some extra time, if it doesn't solve the problem completely.  If he passes out will he completely stop eating?  I know my boys would sleep eat at times. 

To help keep your wife's sanity, you may need to take a night or two.  I assume you are tackling Friday and Saturday nights, since you made no mention of the weekend.  Maybe pick up Tuesdays or Wednesdays to allow her to catch up on some of her sleep in the middle of the week.
  • We did cluster feeding similar to what @Coltsdad suggested.  Multiple feedings leading up to bed time even if it hasn't been that long.  Our guy also sleep eats at times so don't be too quick to put him down when he passes out.

• Loading the player...
  • futant462futant462 member
    edited October 2013
    I was thinking about something like this for his formula...

Seriously though, I know she feeds him right before we put him down.  I think a lot of his fussing issues are gas related because when we pick him up he will almost immediately burp.  

Does Similac make a PM formula?  
    :P

• We did a lot of sleep eating with our LO when he was young.  He would sleep decently at night including sleeping through the night starting at 2 months.  Before this, he would sleep roughly 5 hours at night.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Jake was a good sleeper as an infant.  Now, as a toddler with teething issues, he goes down in his crib @ 7, and he ends up in bed with us at some point during the night.

When he was an infant we started the whole bottle before bed routine, but again, he never was gassy or fussy at bedtime.

Similac makes a sensitive stomach mix. It is in the orange container. They also make drops for those gas episodes that make them fussy and unable to sleep at night.  At the infant age, trial and error is the only way to resolve a given issue.  Each infant is so unique from the next one in how they deal with everything. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"