Multiples

Sleep training

Do you put both babies down for naps even if one woke up 2hrs before the other? Do I keep that one up longer or put the other one to sleep earlier for the following nap. The last two weeks they have been in opposite schedules and I have not been able to get anything done. They need to be on the same schedule for my sanity and theirs.

Re: Sleep training

• My LOs are only 5 weeks, but I do the one up both up method a lot of other MoMs recommended. I try to make one hold off as long as I can to the "schedule" (they're still so small our schedule is pretty loose). Then, I make sure both are up and eating at the same time. If one is falling asleep for "wake time", I try to keep them up a little longer and/or put the other baby down for a nap a little earlier than they might need.
  • No experience, but my intentions will be if one baby wakes up, i'll wake the other, just to get them on the same sleep schedule! Is that recommended with twins? People I know think that's appalling, but they're not the ones with twins ;) 

• Loading the player...
  • I thought for sure I would do one up both up.

But I am currently staring at my sleeping 4 week old son. I've been trying to wake him for over an hour. His brother has been up and nursed during that time frame. Ugh. I think we're getting off schedule.

One up both up is easier said than done....
                         My fraternal twin boys. Born Sept 2013.
  • I agree with @jocie2581. Much easier said than done. My boy has slept 6-7hr stretches for weeks now. My girl wakes every 2-3hrs at night to eat. I don't wake my boy at all during the night. It is much easier only feeding one baby during my sleep deprived hours. Plus, I think their bodies just require different sleep patterns. My girl is also my cranky one. If I don't get her to sleep when she is tired I pay for it. So, I prefer to follow their signals and sleep patterns for now. They are 3 months this week. I plan to start sleep training around 5 months or when they seem ready to me.
  • The first 2.5 months the babies just slept when they want, but for all of our sanity I needed to get a schedule going. Now, we all love the schedule! By about 3.5 months they were pretty well scheduled, with of course one baby working up earlier or later sometimes. What I did was follow the EASY method. You can download sample schedules. I wouldn't wake a sleeping baby but I would extend awake time for the baby that woke up earlier to get them on the same schedule. They would be extra tired by the next nap but it would usually be just about 15 mins. longer that they needed to stay up. I needed them to nap at the same time so I could nap, have a quiet moment, or check email.

We always took them on a walk at the end of the day so they could catch up if tired, or just relax if they'd already had good naps during the day. We called the walk the great equalizer. :)
    ttc since 2/2010 ~
    me (36): Hypothyroid (on Levothroid), low vit. d, borderline/high fsh (day 3: between 7-10) (day 10: 13 during CCCT), AFC: 14
    dh (31): awesome (minus one sample with agglutination)
    Diagnosis:possible DOR and/or unexplained + elevated NK cells + MTHFR (C677T - one copy)

MAY 2011 - FEB 2012 - 3 injectable IUI's with numerous cancellations due to high TSH levels
    MAY 2012 - onto IVF/ICSI (Antagonist Protocol) on BCP and Folgard (3 week delay - cyst - boooo) 5/21 start stims 5/30 ER 11R 8M 3F 6/2 3DT of 3 6/12 Beta #1 83 | 6/14 Beta #2 196 | 6/21 Beta #3 3818 | 6/28 Beta #4 22,213 | 7/2 1st U/S - 2 on board! 8/24 CVS reveals that we have a boy AND a girl on board!

Healthy baby boy and girl born in February, 2013 at 38 weeks and 2 days!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I am struggling with this right now too. My girls are only 2 weeks and some days they seem to be more or less in synch and then other days it's just mayhem. I haven't really tried one up both up yet, I'm not sure if they are too little for that or when the appropriate time to start is.

image4months_2radioflyer
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I need to clarify my babies are 3.5 months. I remember the earlier months and that was so hard however I read and it was clear that before the first 3 months sleep training was not possible because their sleep rhythm does not develop until 3-4 months. Good luck to all moms with tiny babies you will sleep someday.
  • The first 2.5 months the babies just slept when they want, but for all of our sanity I needed to get a schedule going. Now, we all love the schedule! By about 3.5 months they were pretty well scheduled, with of course one baby working up earlier or later sometimes. What I did was follow the EASY method. You can download sample schedules. I wouldn't wake a sleeping baby but I would extend awake time for the baby that woke up earlier to get them on the same schedule. They would be extra tired by the next nap but it would usually be just about 15 mins. longer that they needed to stay up. I needed them to nap at the same time so I could nap, have a quiet moment, or check email.

We always took them on a walk at the end of the day so they could catch up if tired, or just relax if they'd already had good naps during the day. We called the walk the great equalizer. :)
    Exactly this, well except it took me 5 months to get a good handle on it.  I would say naps were far more difficult than night sleeping.  My girl takes longer naps, but stays awake longer after waking up.  It's hard to coordinate, but I often just consider it extra one on one time with my boy if he wakes up from a nap much earlier.  If he wakes up from a nap early and can't be rocked back to sleep, I usually give her 20 minutes and get her up.  I would say 75% of the time she is stirring on her own.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"