1st Trimester
Options

If I am 5 weeks pregnant, but having major anxiety about having twins - should I ask for 6 week u/s?

I already have two children, and twins run in both my DH and my side of the family.  I  am having such anxiety and can't sleep well anymore since I'm constantly wondering if I am having twins.  I have an u/s at 9 weeks, but want to change it to 6 weeks. Do you think my doc will approve this???

Re: If I am 5 weeks pregnant, but having major anxiety about having twins - should I ask for 6 week u/s?

• Options
    Probably not?

imageimageimage
    H e n r y  May 21, 2014

• Options
    Actually it is NOT a slim chance.  My sister had her oldest girl and THEN had twins naturally. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    LOLZ
    imageimageimage

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers">AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
    Formerly dlsexton
    BFP #1 Dec 2010 ~ Blighted Ovum Jan 2011 @ 11wks D&C Jan '11 & Mar '11
    BFP #2 July 2011 ~ Miss Amelia born 3/30/12 @ 41 weeks!
    BFP #3 July 2013 ~ M/C Aug 2013 @ 5.5 weeks
    BFP #4 Oct 2013 ~ Miss Lydia born 6/3/14 @ 36 weeks!

• Options
    mj.reilly said:

I don't think "I think I am having twins" is enough of a reason to move up a u/s. It is three weeks. You have had two singleton pregnancies. Why freaking out all of a sudden with this pregnancy? It is a slim chance (and your DH's family would have no effect on you having twins). Right now you are pregnant—just focus on that and try to relax. 

This is correct. Are your sister's twins fraternal? Those are the only type that run in families and if they are, one set on your side does not exponentially increase your chances of having twins. It only slightly increases the odds. If they are identical your chance of having twins is the same as any other woman. DH having twins in his family has no effect on the chance of you guys having twins.

Unless you have medical reasons to have an early u/s, I doubt your OB will move it up. If they do, be prepared to foot the bill as your insurance may view it as elective.
    J13 May Siggy Challenge: People lacking in common sense raise my blood pressure.

imageimage
    DD 8/11 | DS1 7/13 | DS2 7/13
  • Options
    Ask to have your betas run. They are higher with twins
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Paige 8/5/99, Kara 7/22/03 and Benjamin 1/19/13
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

10 losses 1996-1998, 2 losses 2001-2002, 3 losses 2010-2012, loss 1/2014
  • Options

Ask to have your betas run. They are higher with twins

This is actually a very common misconception. High betas don't mean twins and as @mj.reilly pointed out, many of us had lower or the same numbers in normal range as with our singletons.

There's no reason to have betas run unless there is a question about the pregnancy progressing normally in the early stages. That's what betas are for and they cannot be relied on for diagnosing or indicating twins.
    J13 May Siggy Challenge: People lacking in common sense raise my blood pressure.

imageimage
  • Options

imageimage
  • Options
    spacepotatoesspacepotatoes member
    edited October 2013
    Yeah, the "you should listen to Dr. Laura" tells me everything I need to know about you.

I agree with @carseat. You don't need an early ultrasound, you need to chill out.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"