VBAC

XP: VBAC Induction/Stripping Membranes Question

I had an appt with my OB today, and our original plan was for me to go to 41 weeks before a scheduled C-section (I am trying for a VBAC). If I didn't go into labor before then, he would check me at 41 weeks and if I was ready to be induced, he is willing to induce. However, his wife is due with their first baby a few days after me, so he will not be on the schedule the week I'm 41 weeks.

He scheduled my repeat C-section for 40 weeks 5 days, because the doctor on that day IS VBAC-induction friendly, where the next 2 days (leading up to 41 weeks) the doctors would not be likely to induce me.

I'm really hoping I go into labor before that on my own, BUT my OB offered to strip my membranes (look away @ HFrizzle, I think you're the one who hates this talk), at my 38 weeks 5 day appt, and then again at my appt at 40 weeks 1 day.

WWYD? Would you let them try to strip them that early? I don't want to jump the gun if baby isn't ready to come out (and I don't even think it would work if baby wasn't ready), but I also don't want to wait too long and miss any chances at "natural" induction that I have, because I also know that a vaginal birth is a better option for baby than a C/S.

Re: XP: VBAC Induction/Stripping Membranes Question

• With baby 1 my membranes were stripped at 40 weeks wo dilation or effaced. It did nothing, my water broke at 41w2d did not have any signs of labor at 24 hours do I went in and was put on pitocin for 12 hours with no notable contractions, dilation or efface ment. Ended up with a csection. I think my situation is rare but I would never have my membranes stripped again bc I think that is what caused my water to break too early
  • I had mine stripped with the first pregnancy at 40 weeks and went into labor the next day, although I ended up with a C-section, I don't think that had anything to do with it.  The second time around, the Dr stripped my membranes from 38 weeks on, I was already dilated and effaced, and I didn't go into labor until 41 weeks, but went on to a successful VBAC, and they had to break my water at the hospital.  I don't really think it does anything if you're not ready, and I think it's fine to try it out at 38w 5d.  This is my totally non-expert opinion, although like most of the women on this board, I devour all the research I can about VBAC's, natural birth, etc
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the opinions!
  • acsago said:
    I had mine stripped with the first pregnancy at 40 weeks and went into labor the next day, although I ended up with a C-section, I don't think that had anything to do with it.  The second time around, the Dr stripped my membranes from 38 weeks on, I was already dilated and effaced, and I didn't go into labor until 41 weeks, but went on to a successful VBAC, and they had to break my water at the hospital.  I don't really think it does anything if you're not ready, and I think it's fine to try it out at 38w 5d.  This is my totally non-expert opinion, although like most of the women on this board, I devour all the research I can about VBAC's, natural birth, etc
    For your successful VBAC, did they do any induction methods other than breaking your water?
  • I had mine stripped at 39 weeks and it did nothing! I ended up with a csection because he was measuring big! So I'd do it if she's offering! It can't hurt and it may not work if baby isn't ready!

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Had membranes stripped at 38 weeks on a Thursday, lost mucus plug on the following Monday, went into labor on Thursday at ecactly 39 weeks. Go for it!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I would try it!!
    Chad and Fawn

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anniversary

• Thanks all :) went into labor on my own and had a successful VBAC on oct 14! Baby was 39w4d. Will post a birth story soon!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"