Food Allergy
Options

if you or your SO has celiac

how did you decide if/when to introduce your LO to gluten?  did you get them tested first?  did you skip the testing and slowly introduce it at a certain age and just watch for a reaction?  i have celiac, DH does not.  DS is a year old.  he has been entirely gluten free his whole life.  i'm very much struggling with the decision to introduce gluten to his diet.  my research has been fairly unhelpful, as has his pedi.  obviously the blood test for the antibody will come back negative since he has no gluten in his system- is the genetic test worth it?  i could really use some BTDT opinions.  i feel like i'm floating in a sea of uncertainty right now.  
DSCN9655

in everything give thanks, for this is the will of God, in Christ Jesus, for you
1 thessalonians 5:18

Re: if you or your SO has celiac

• Options
    I have celiac. DH doesnt. DD will be GF until at least 2 or 3 yrs old, then introduce gluten for 3 months and have blood test after the 3 months. If all is negative will just closely monitor in future. I go to Celiac center im Boston. I think they have resources on line. Look up Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital.
  • Options
    Also, i def have confirmed celiac via endoscopy at the celiac center and the genetic test came back negative. Only one out of the 3 blood tests i had were positive. It was barely positive. My endoscopy was so bad and my organs started to shut down. Spent months in the hospital. Sometimes the blood tests arent so accurate IMO.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Also, i def have confirmed celiac via endoscopy at the celiac center and the genetic test came back negative. Only one out of the 3 blood tests i had were positive. It was barely positive. My endoscopy was so bad and my organs started to shut down. Spent months in the hospital. Sometimes the blood tests arent so accurate IMO.
  • Options
  • Options
    Thank you for your reply.  My blood tests were also negative. How did you decide to wait until your daughter is two or three to intro gluten? Was that recommended to you? Which blood test will you have done for her?
    DSCN9655

in everything give thanks, for this is the will of God, in Christ Jesus, for you
    1 thessalonians 5:18
  • Options
    It was recommended. Also, it will be easier to control what she eats until preschool etc. She will have the standard test for antibodies, genetics etc, but im not really confident in those tests. Will monitor her growth, weight and if she has any tummy troubles or other illnesses. Celiac affected my growth significantly and i had stomach probs. they always called it lactose intolerant but it was celiac. Now that im healed i can eat any dairy. I kinda would like for her to have an endoscopy someday but they wont unless there is having GI probs.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"