Pre-School and Daycare
Options

4 yr old eye drop tips please!

arrrggghhhh we have given 4 times now & it is still a screaming writhing wrestling match. every time she admits that it doesn't hurt, that it isn't scary, that next time she'll be still but then freaks the next time.
help!

Re: 4 yr old eye drop tips please!

• Options
    My pedi recommended having DD lie on her back with her eyes closed, then putting the drops into the corner of her eyes while they were still closed and having her blink a few times while still lying back to get the medicine into her eyes.  I've been able to get both girls (ages 2 and 5) to let me give them eye drops this way.  It seems to freak them out less.  GL!   
  • Options
    mrszee2b said:
    My pedi recommended having DD lie on her back with her eyes closed, then putting the drops into the corner of her eyes while they were still closed and having her blink a few times while still lying back to get the medicine into her eyes.  I've been able to get both girls (ages 2 and 5) to let me give them eye drops this way.  It seems to freak them out less.  GL!   
    I'm such a child when it comes to administering my own eye drops I have to practice this method too. It really works.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    we just went through this with my 3 year old.  I searched videos on youtube giving a 3 year old eye drops.  I showed her a few, including 1 with an 8 year old, she didn't seem to care the girl was a little older.  After that she still didn't love it, but she did lay still and let me do it.  One of them has a stuffed animal behind the kid that they look up at as the parent does the drop
  • Options
    Same thing as above--our pedi said to put it in the corner of the closed eye and then have them open their eye and blink. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    groovygrlgroovygrl member
    edited October 2013
    Thanks I will try YouTube bc my pedi gave the eyes closed trick too and she hasn't cooperated one time and shakes her head back and forth before opening and the drops drip down her nose and cheeks instead. Tried it lying down, sitting against me, sitting up and tilting head back...

ETA another fail. She refused to watch any videos on the computer, ran & hid from me. I tried to sit down quietly and talk to her, gave her the bottle to hold, had her lie her head on my lap, close her eyes...and then she pitched the bottle across the room. I ended up having to put her in a leg hold and put the drops on her eyes & hope for the best. Then she cried, so I have no idea if the drops rinse out or what. This is so frustrating :(
  • Options
    Is it an antibiotic? Can the pedi give you an ointment instead?
  • Options
    How would I get an ointment in there any better?
  • Options
    groovygrl said:
    How would I get an ointment in there any better?

You just have to swipe it across her lashes when her eyes are closed, so it's easy to do it really quickly. I used to do the nighttime dose after DD fell asleep. That way I knew at least once a day she wasn't rubbing it off. It has the consistency of Vaseline, so maybe she wouldn't hate it as much as the drops. Sorry you're having such a hard time :(
  • Options
    I let DS hold an M & M in each hand that he couldn't eat until I was done. I usually don't bribe with food but I was desperate since he was running away and would do the whole head shake thing for the closing hid eyes trick. Bribing with chocolate was the only thing that worked.

Lol bribing her with a pop tart for bfast, which she never gets, is what did the trick...ugh but I will take no eye infection over worrying about a pop tart for two days :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"