Two Under 2

Is it ok to have three in one room??? Stressed.

I just took a positive test. We have a DD1 will be 4 in December, DD2 will be 1 this week and I am panicking a little. So DD2 would be 21 months from baby #3?? I think lol It still hasn't sunken in all of the way, I think I am living in a little bit of Denial right now. My husband is thrilled, but it am just a nervous wreck, I am worried about what my mother will say, she is super judge mental and open with her opinions. But also we only have two bedrooms. There is no room for two cribs and a twin bed in there!! Because we have a huge dresser, a huge desk with shelves, and a night stand, which I would prefer to leave for clothing storage. How can this work? We were thinking bunk beds. But I feel like that just won't work. Obviously we will try to move beforehand, but that may not be in the cards. Is there any other solution :(

Re: Is it ok to have three in one room??? Stressed.

• What if you keep the new baby in your room for a while? Will a crib fit in there?
  • Not at the moment, a bassinet will. So I think that will hold us off for at least a month or two. But unless I can talk hubby into moving his reloading press bench out of there, which I really doubt, then there isn't room for a crib :( DD#1 usually sleeps with me at night since hubby is on night shift but I still want her to have her own bed off course. I thought bunk beds might work, but the more I think about it I just feel uneasy about it, When DD#2 gets up from her nap I will see if maybe a toddler bed would fit in there with the twin and crib that is currently in there, since they are smaller. Their room is a decent size, I haven't yet but could measure it. It is actually like the master for our place, we have the regular room since we wanted the room closer to the door to our home. I feel like it will just be crammed with so much furniture in there, but I guess they only sleep in there, we have a playroom entrance off of the living room for toys.
  • Loading the player...
  • Could you do a twin, a toddler, and a crib for the time being, and when your oldest is a little older then do bunk beds and a crib/toddler/twin, whatever is needed at that time? We have bunk beds already and I think by about 5yo, maybe 6, we'll be okay with DD1 on the top.

I really wouldn't worry about it being too crammed if they really only sleep in there. The room our girls share is the smallest of our three, but since they only sleep in there it's not a big deal. Right now we've got twin over twin bunks and a toddler bed, two dressers and a bookshelf. I have seriously considered whether we could fit another bed in there if LO #3 is another girl and have them all share for a while since DD1 and DD2 love sharing so much, and I think we could do it if we had them sharing a dresser and moved the bookshelf. 

You've got plenty of time to figure it out, take some measurements and play around with different set ups, you'll figure it out!
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • kTedesco10kTedesco10 member
    edited October 2013
    Thanks @memali26, that helped a lot. I was looking at the room just now when I was cleaning and we have a twin on a box spring on the ground. I think if I slide it forward another two feet, there is a a spot to perfectly fit a toddler bed, the opposite way without even moving anything else. And then the girls beds would be in a 'L' shape so they were head near head, which I think they would love. :) The center floor would have tons of room the walls are just loaded with dressers and desks lol. I think I am more worried about family throwing their two cents in about us having them all in a room the anything else. I feel like I still havent been able to be happy about it, I guess I need to just suck it up and realize if they want to complain instead of celebrate that's their loss. :/ Thanks again ladies, between the bassinet in our room for a while and some slight bed moving I think it could work until we find a bigger place of our own to buy instead of rent:)
  • I would not be comfortable with a 4 yr old on a bunk bed, another option is getting a trundle bed, then you can put it away during the day for more room. Also do you really need a desk in the kids room?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks @memali26, that helped a lot. I was looking at the room just now when I was cleaning and we have a twin on a box spring on the ground. I think if I slide it forward another two feet, there is a a spot to perfectly fit a toddler bed, the opposite way without even moving anything else. And then the girls beds would be in a 'L' shape so they were head near head, which I think they would love. :) The center floor would have tons of room the walls are just loaded with dressers and desks lol. I think I am more worried about family throwing their two cents in about us having them all in a room the anything else. I feel like I still havent been able to be happy about it, I guess I need to just suck it up and realize if they want to complain instead of celebrate that's their loss. :/ Thanks again ladies, between the bassinet in our room for a while and some slight bed moving I think it could work until we find a bigger place of our own to buy instead of rent:)
    My girls would think that's awesome! I've even contemplated just putting a double in there and letting them share the bed, but I think there would be less sleeping happening if we did that ;)

And just ignore family if they want to complain. If you and DH are happy, and your girls are happy and cared for, it doesn't matter how many share a room. I have three sisters and all four of us shared a room for years. We loved it and have a ton of really great memories from it!
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks, that made me feel so much better!! :) there used to be a double bed in the room but we swapped it out to fit the crib lol.
  • @jf198400, there isn't anything I can really do with the desk, I'm sort of stuck with it, I have know were to store it right now, it is part of the set I have had since a child and my mom would be crushed if I just got rid of it. :/:/
  • Our DD#2 is still in our room - in a pack and play.  Could you fit that in your bedroom?  Good luck!  I am sure you can make it work.  My dad grew up with 3 brothers and one sister...in a 2 bedroom apartment.  3 of the boys shared a VERY small bedroom (one of my dad's brothers was a lot younger, so we won't include him now...), his sister had her own room, and his parents slept in the dining room.  My mom had a similar setup with her 2 sisters and one brother - her parents were in the dining room too in a 2 bedroom apartment.  My parents think we are the crazy ones in that DS and DD#1 are in their own rooms and DD#2 hasn't started sharing with her sister yet!  Good luck, you can do it!
    TTC#1 = Success on Cycle#19 with Clomid/trigger/b2b IUIs; beta#1 (15dpiui) 200, #2 (18dpiui) 433, #3 (22dpiui) 2356; TTC#2 = Surprise BFP 9/2009; TTC#3 = m/c at 6 wks, 10/29/11; BFP#2 4/1/2012... Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My dad was in the military and we had neighbors that were LDS. They had 4 in a room with daybeds with trundles. You could also look at mini cribs. All of their bedrooms had at least 3 kids in there.
    TTC January 2010
    BFP #1 10-11-10 ectopic discovered 10-22-10, 10-23-10 methotrexate & emergency surgery, lost right tube BFP #2 12-1-10 Found to be tissue dropped from salingectomy or missed heterotopic pregnancy from BFP #1 BFP #3 1-30-11 DS arrived on due date 10-10-11 BFP #4 Surprise 9-3-12 EDD 5-9-13 DS2 arrived 5-5-13 BFP #5 5-14-14 Emergency D&C 6-16-14 9 weeks
  • I didn't read all the replies, but we were in that situation. We had a two-BR townhouse when I got pg with #3, and our plans to buy a bigger home got postponed when I was laid off during my pregnancy. We did put a crib in the kids' room, but actually ended up not feeling comfortable putting the baby in the older girls' room, because DD1 would get out of bed and throw things into DD2's crib and such, and it made us nervous for if she did that to the baby, or pulled on her, etc. (Our oldest was under 3 when #3 was born though, so she didn't understand as much as your oldest will about not hurting the baby.)

We didn't have a ton of extra space in our bedroom, but we could fit a mini pack n play. It worked out so much better than a bassinet would have, because it held more weight  so she could safely use it longer and the bottom could be dropped when she started sitting and standing. (We also bedshared with her, but I'd put her in the pack n play to nap and for the first half of the night.) We had a Graco Travel Lite, like this one. It worked out really well for what we had to work with, until we were able to move when she was 11 months old.

I know several parents who moved kids to a top bunk at age 5, so you could keep her in your room until your oldest is 5 and then get a bunk bed and move baby into the kid room. Some bunk beds on the market now have long rails on both sides, or stairs at the foot of the bed, so there isn't much room to easily roll off. Also there's an Ikea low-profile loft bed that can be made into a bunk, which is closer to the ground than a traditional bunk.

Another thought is to take the desk out of the room. Do your kids really use it, or do you just use it for the shelf space? If you use it shelf space, I'd look into other options. For instance, even when DD3 slept in our room, we kept her dresser in the closet in the kids' room. She had a few sets of pj's in my dresser in my room, but I kept the bulk of her clothes in the kids room, and her dresser fit perfectly in the closet so it didn't take up real estate in the room. There are lots of storage/shelving options for closets that you could get to make that space more valuable.

• I would have the baby in your room for a while then transition the baby to the siblings room when it makes sense for everyone!  One of our little ones was in our room until he was almost two in a pack n play!  Haha!  Not that I would necessarily recommend that, but really we all actually slept great that way.  He shares with his brother now (they share by preference because we do have an extra room) and he still sneaks into our room now most nights to sleep on the floor where we have a blanket and pillow set up for him. :)

Congratulations!

imageLilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks everyone. The desk does get used, it stores all books, coloring books and art supplies for my oldest. So I doubt we will get rid of it. I think we have devised a Plan to easily for the twin bed, toddler end, and crib, without taking up much more space then already is being used along the walls. Leaving the center floor open. Chances are we will have the new baby in our room for a while in the bassinet/pack n play. I didn't even think about things being thrown in the crib, since dd2 will only be 21 months she may try to "share" her blankets , toys, ect. Lol. We will play it by year to make sure baby will be safe sharing a room with our second. Our oldest is Super understanding of being gentle with baby, but thank you ladies for easing my mind about having them all in one room, you all have really de-stressed that for Me. I feel much better about it after reading all of these helpful tips and responses, :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"