Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Sleep advice needed

I usually just lurk on here but now I need advice, hoping you ladies can help me out!
I just had my daughter on the 9th and I've been home 3 nights now. She will not sleep at night! During the day she sleeps (either in her swing or someone's arms), eats (I nurse her), and we play. - she is very good and rarely cries. When night rolls around we try to put her to sleep in her PIP that's in our room. She cries like crazy! I'm so frustrated because now my husband and I are stuck taking turns sleeping during the night watching my daughter.
She spends the night either very lightly sleeping, begging to be nursed over and over again (which she doesn't do during the day), or crying.
Does anyone have any suggestions to change this routine?

Re: Sleep advice needed

• We were in the same boat at that age - sleeping in shifts so one of us could stay up with DS while he fussed all night. The only advice I have is to wait it out because it does get better, but it was helpful for us to teach DS the difference between day and night. During the day we took him outside to get some natural sunlight and stimulated him throughout the day (but allowed him to take naps when he pleased to avoid "over-tiredness").. At night we kept his sleeping area very dark and quiet with little to no stimulation. It took about 4 or 5 days of this before my fiancé and I could stop sleeping in shifts.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • We found out that our LO hated his pack 'n play.. It was just uncomfortable and cold for him.. Maybe cause it was so close to the ground, so we gave up on the PNP and actually tried his crib and he loved it! I hated it so DH and I slept on his floor the first few nights.
    As far as the fussiness, it does get better! Try to find things that soothe LO.. Like white noise, music, rocking, etc.
  • Loading the player...
  •  The only advice I have is to wait it out because it does get better, but it was helpful for us to teach DS the difference between day and night.
    This. Your LO is only a few days old. She probably has her days and nights mixed up. During the day, keep is bright and loud (TV on, talking, etc.) while she is sleeping. At night, keep it dim. She will figure it out sooner or later. Took mine a few weeks at least.
  • I would also try o keep baby awake a little more during the day. I also agree that you should try having baby sleep elsewhere. DS hated his bassinet and didn't sleep at all the first couple nights. We switched him to his crib and he sleeps so well. You can always try the bouncy seat, swing, etc.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers 
  • That's all totally normal.  First, your LO is still sorting out day and night.  Keep the house really bright during the day and have LO sleep in a lit room during the day.  Limit interaction and keep everything dark at night.  Second, BFing a lot is your LO's way of making sure your supply comes in.  It's painful and miserable but your LO is actually pretty smart about bringing in mommy's supply.  Hang in there.  That will also improve but will take a little longer.  Just don't give up trying.  Lastly, put LO where ever they'll sleep.  Swing, bouncer, bassinet, crib, whatever!  I've spent several nights with DS sleeping on my chest and me struggling to stay awake.  You do what you have to do and take it day by day.  The days and weeks will fly by and you'll figure out what your LO likes through trial and error along the way.  If something's not working just try something else.  Good luck!

• Look up the fourth trimester if someone has not already suggested it (didn't read previous replies), this is all super normal. The pnp is probably too open and LO wants to be more snuggly. Try swaddling if you are not already, or getting a little bassinet for now. I have DS in his own crib, but he sleeps in the little cosleeper thing, meant for an adult bed, but inside his crib. Or I have heard to roll towels next to them to make a U-shape and put them under the fitted crib sheet (not sure how this'd work with a pnp). She probably has days and nights reversed too, it's common. Just keep working on day time = light, noise etc. nighttime = dark, no talking etc. Soon she will get it figured out, their brains don't start producing melatonin at that age. Also, try the white noise thing (just skimmed and saw someone else mentioned it). I am sure you have heard the 5 S's but look into Happiest Baby on the Block. GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I'm going to have to agree with everyone's posts. My baby is 11 days old and for the first few days, he was up literally all night. He now only wakes me up 2 or 3 times per night for feedings and changes. I'd hang in there! I know it's rough, but your baby will eventually sleep at night. She still has her days and nights mixed up. What I did that seemed to help is keep the room as dark as possible when you feed/ change her. I have a night light in the baby's room. This will help her distinguish day from night! GL!!
  • Sounds like days and nights are mixed up. Also, it doesn't help that she is held during the day to sleep. Start putting her down for naps so she can get familiar with the feeling.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker image
  • You've got great advice, this is all normal. Both my DDs are/were horrible sleepers. But I had a rock and play for DD2 and she slept so well (it all went downhill after she outgrew it.)

I held dd1 to sleep for the first 5 weeks.

Anyway, I swaddled lo then laid her in it, she was so snugly. She also had mild reflux so the incline helped. If you can find one used or to borrow or just suck it up and buy one, I highly suggest it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Hang in there! My recommendation is a book I found that was the best $2.99 I ever spent. "Sleep: Top Tips from the baby whisperer by Tracy Hogg"
    My husband works 3rd shift and the first night he went back to work our DD only slept 2.5 hours unless I was holding her. I started the schedule from the book the next night and she slept 5 hours (this was at 3 weeks) now she sleeps anywhere from 6 to 8 hours. 

Best of luck. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"