Baby Names

Brantley- how common is this name, Really?

It is a family name, DH's grandfather. Anyone know a Brantley? Supposedly it is trendy or rising in popularity as of right now. I love it and DH does too. I have never met a Brantley before, other then our relative of course & I live in Texas, this name strikes me as particularly southern for some reason. Anywho our first child has a name with 'german' roots, and this one does as well. Let me know- love it? hate it? Promise I won't get butthurt if it's not your cup of tea.
Nikolas Knight 
Born: August 8th, 2009   8lbs 8oz  4:33pm

Nolan Lawrence 
Born: May 21st2014   8lbs 14oz  3:27pm

There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. 
One is roots; the other, wings."   -Hodding Carter

Re: Brantley- how common is this name, Really?

• It just sounds made up... like another Jaxton or Brixley or Starlyn.

I get that it's a family name and that aspect is neat for sure, but it just has a trying-to-be-cool-hybrid-mess feel to me since the market is saturated with names of a similar nature.
  • Middle name would be Lawrence- my father's middle name. (I am also due on his birthday) It has a much more traditional feel. I do agree it sounds like a hybrid name, but I don't mind that so much as our last name is traditional german sounding and full of very hard vowels. I should also note I am set on using the initial 'B' (DH's middle name is Brian and we were actually looking for a similar but non traditional sounding name) and this name, along with "Bryson" and "Bryant" were among my top picks for a boy. Haha all of which I just realised have that hybrid sound.  :\"> 
    Nikolas Knight 

Nolan Lawrence 

• Loading the player...
  • I like it! I have never met anyone with the name, personally, but it may be on the rise in popularity due to country singer Brantley Gilbert. I wouldn't let that deter me from using it, though. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers.
  • Compared to my horrendous examples, Brantley is much classier :)

What about Barrett or Bennett? Brooks?
  • I do like the name Barrett, it's cute. I have never met anyone with this name, except a lawyer my ex worked for. lol. 
    Nikolas Knight 

Nolan Lawrence 

• I don't like it at all. Reminds me of Brantley Gilbert the country singer.

B.R.C. 5/08-- N.R.C. 5/10--S.R.C. 3/14
  • I've known one person with the name. He's in his 20's. It's NMS, but I wouldn't side eye it.

DS1-7/21/2011 @ 1:51am

DD-5/29/2013 @ 2:40pm

DS2-5/29/2013 @ 3:21pm

#4 EDD- 9/28/2016

• This is our 2nd choice if our next one is a boy. I'll tell you most on here don't care for the name. I like it and it certainly is not popular. Never met one except know the name from Brantley Gilbert.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • It reminds me of something from 16 and Pregnant.
  • I know one and she is a 4 yr-old girl. Weird, I know.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I agree sounds 16 and pregnant to me
  • IIRC it has been on the fastest rising boys names list for a few years now. From SSA: https://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/babyname.cgi
    It went from not on the list before 2009 to #158 in 2012. That is MASSIVE. 

I also get a Teen Mom vibe. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • I don't love it, but the fact that it's a family name makes me like it for you.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Out of context it sounds like you couldn't decide between Brad and Bentley and just squished them together. But since it's a family name and it means something to you I'd say use it. I've never heard it before.
  • I instantly thought cowboy or horse. I imagine it may be more well-known in your area, but I've never met or  even heard of anyone with the name. I am not really a fan - I would expect a Brantley to be a pet before a LO. Sorry!

• I've met a Brantley who's probably in his early 40s now.  I don't love it, but if it's a family name I can get on board.  I would definitely pick it over Bryson or Bryant if those names don't have any significance for you.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • I think it's sort of awful but being a family name makes me not hate it in your case. What about Lawrence Brantley instead? It actually flows better and. Lawrence is an awesome, underused, masculine name. (It's on our list if this LO is a boy)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • fsumomfsumom member
    edited October 2013
    I know 2 people that have named their sons Brantley within the last year or so! I don't care for it.
    ~Jessica~ 

• I dont love it, but have never met one before.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • How about Bradley, Brent, or Blake? Those "match" better with Nikolas, IMO.

• Not a fan personally, but if you love it, go for it.

That is quite the siggy you've got there!
    I was wondering if I was the only one that noticed this! Back when I was new to the Bump, there were rules about this. I guess not any more.
  • I like the pp suggestion of Lawrence Brantley.
  • I also like Bradley, it was the name of one of my dad's good childhood friends that passed away recently, so I kind of like that Brantley sounds similar. Also, there are multiple ties to my family in this name as my name is Ashley (ends in LEY) and my father's brother who also passed away, his name was Randall, and while I am not a fan of the name Randall, nor is DH- in german, 'Brandt" "Brantley" and "Randall" all have the same meaning. May seem like it's reaching a bit but I suppose if it has meaning to my family, and DH and I that is enough for me. Even if some people find it an odd, or trendy name. My name was trendy when I was born too, but it's better then the name my mom wanted (and dad was against) for me... Kirby. lol like from the soap opera Dynasty, apparently. 
    Nikolas Knight 

Nolan Lawrence 

• My dad did not want his daughter named after a vaccuum, so the story goes. So I became, like many before and many after me... an 'Ashley'.
    Nikolas Knight 

Nolan Lawrence 

• Idani said:
    I hope it's not that popular.  Honestly I like it's a family name for you and normally approve of family ties. However other than family, no one will know that for you, so it sounds like you just picked a upper trendy, made up name. I find it unattractive look and sound wise. Sorry.
    This.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't think it's popular at all; I've never heard of anyone with this name. And sorry, but I absolutely hate it.
  • corbsmom said:

I like it! I have never met anyone with the name, personally, but it may be on the rise in popularity due to country singer Brantley Gilbert. I wouldn't let that deter me from using it, though. 

This, it was top on our list and we were set on it for a boy or girl, but dh can't seem to say it correctly so it made me crazy and I took it off. He always says "Brent-Ly" not brant!

I know no one with it, but I love it!!
  • I have a cousin name their baby this. It's awful and everyone in our family hates it. This is my opinion though. The name is just a trendy name that sounds completely made up. I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the top 100 for the 2013 list.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I know three of them...and one is a girl. They are all under the age of 3 years old. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • gypsymysticgypsymystic member
    edited October 2013
    I don't see why anyone would get the impression this should be a girl's name, but to each his own. I don't really consider it unisex. I also have no idea who Brantley Gilbert is... but I suspect this is only because I do not listen to that genre of music.
    Nikolas Knight 

Nolan Lawrence 

• This is going to show my age, but I've only heard this name as Michael J. Fox's character from The Secret of my Success. So I get a real 80's vibe from it. I've never met one in real life and I don't listen to country music so I wouldn't make that association. I'd think you were a fan of the movie if I heard it IRL.
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• stahlop said:
    This is going to show my age, but I've only heard this name as Michael J. Fox's character from The Secret of my Success. So I get a real 80's vibe from it. I've never met one in real life and I don't listen to country music so I wouldn't make that association. I'd think you were a fan of the movie if I heard it IRL.
    Lol never seen it but DH may have. I was born in '85. DH is a big fan of Michael J . Fox though. We like to joke though our first son was named after Knight rider, since Hasselhoff's character is named "Micheal Knight" in that series. Total coincidence though we are both very german in decent.  ;)
    Nikolas Knight 

Nolan Lawrence 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"