Stay at Home Moms
Options

Trampolines

WDYT....too dangerous or no? Ok at a certain age?

I didn't have one of those big ones until I was in high school, but I used it nonstop (maybe that's weird, but hey it was great exercise too, and I had a young brother).

I really want one for our backyard, with the netting around it.  DH doesn't want one because he said our insurance will go up; I don't know the rule with that.

I think DS, and eventually DD, would have a blast on it. We have a bounce house now that he is constantly on (in our foyer!), but a trampoline I could go on with him.

Rambling post.....anyway, I know a lot of people think they're too dangerous. WDYT?
DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!

Re: Trampolines

• Options
    I love trampolines! I don't care what the haters say. We'll get one for sure when our kids are old enough to understand and obey rules for their safety. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Not a fan and I'm not nor ally an overly cautious person.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Too dangerous.  I wouldn't own one but I let my kids play on them occasionally at friends' houses. 
  • Options
    I am sure it will come as no surprise that we have a huge one.
  • Options

We had one but got rid of it due to the net around it. one of the smaller kids got stuck in it. I would like to get another but with the age range of the kids being so wide, I just don't feel that it's a good idea now. Maybe later.

The bounce house: they love!

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers                            

My Loves= SD 18 SS 16 SS13 DD13 DS10 SD6 SD5 

• Options

I agree with you on that. I just can't be outside all of the time to watch them on the trampoline. And knowing my older SS's, they wouldn't hesitate to "accidentally" push one of the littles off. I know we could make a rule where they can't be on it at the same time. I just don't fully trust the boys to follow. When it's the little one's turn I would be out there with them. So Wait... now you've got me second guessing myself! lol. So.. I think this will be my conversation with DH while he has his coffee this morning. I know they would love a trampoline... *off to get the X-Mas list* LOL

I just love the bounce house for now because the older kids think it's babyish and aren't interested at all. The only thing I don't like about the bounce house, which isn't a huge deal, but we can't fit it in our house so we are constantly putting it up and taking back down.

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers                            

My Loves= SD 18 SS 16 SS13 DD13 DS10 SD6 SD5 

• Options
    I think they're dangers and I wouldn't get one.
    TTC since September '08 After 2 m/c - lap for stage 3-4 endo Oct '09 Bravelle w/Ovidrel trigger - iui on 11/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Nah, I don't want one in my yard, but would let DS play on one at a friends.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I never really went on one as a kid growing up so I don't think I would run to get one for my kids. I also tend to think DD will get hurt on everything... I'm insane. She would have to realllly really want one. I would probably never suggest getting one.

Check out my blog ---->  http://minismama.com/
  • Options
    I am not a huge fan of them. We will never own one, but DD is allowed to jump on ones that have the net at other people's houses. I wanted one as a kid, but my mom had a friend who had an accident {you know that old story} so I was never allowed on them. 
  • Options
    Hav=Fath said:
    I don't see a big difference in bounce houses vs trampolines IF they're both used correctly. If you put older kids in with small kids in a bounce house injuries can happen, just like with a trampoline, isn't that where most trampoline accidents happen? I know that you can land wrong and hurt your neck but if you saw my 10 year old niece and her friend in the bounce house... no difference in the risk factor IMO.
    You can't get near as high on a bounce house as a trampoline for one thing. Of course you can get hurt in a bounce house, but it's more twisted ankle than broken neck IME.
  • Options
    Considering lots of homeowners insurance will drop you for having one and we wouldn't have room anyway, likely not. I do think they are tons of fun and I won't outright forbid them, but they are dangerous, the injuries are there. 

Why would your homeowners insurance even know you have one?  Is it an automatic question they ask?  Because here the homeowners insurance doesn't care what kind of stuff you have, they just ask you for the overall value of everything inside the house.  But they care more about the house itself, the structure and how close to a fire hydrant and all that, then they do the contents of the house/yard.

My parents still have the one that we got when I was about 10.  The kids bounce on it all the time.  My youngest loves it!  Now that it's getting to winter my parents will take it down so it doesn't stretch out, but it's the favorite activity at my parents house.  We don't have room for one in our yard, but it we ever get the acreage we want, that will be one of our first purchases.

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• Options
    We have one with a net that doesn't have any gaps. I like it and the kids love it. I called around and some insurance companies won't insure you at all if you have one. Ours was ok with it if we had a net and a lock on our gate. Our rates didn't change. Right now the girls are just so tiny they can't get going too high or crazy. I'm not sure how I'll feel as they get older and think flips are a good idea.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

C  7.16.2008 | L  11.12.2010 | A  3.18.2013

• Options
    Hav=Fath said:
    Our insurance never asked when we joined with them and I don't know how they'd know if we got one down the road.
    But if somebody was at your house and got hurt and decided to sue you, your insurance would not cover you.
  • Options
    tmsgrl said:

Hav=Fath said:

Our insurance never asked when we joined with them and I don't know how they'd know if we got one down the road.

But if somebody was at your house and got hurt and decided to sue you, your insurance would not cover you.

They also wouldn't cover us for a broken arm on our monkey bars but tons of people have swing sets.
  • Options
    DH and I bought one when we bought our first house...for me. I love them, so I think it's safe to say we'll have one someday soon. (We had to leave that one when we moved.)

**Nestie Besties with Deutschefairy**

Diagnosed PCOS '03, TTC #1 Since March '09
    BFP - 10/20/10, M/C - 10/29/10
    June 2011 - 50mg Clomid = No O
    Dieted and exercised my butt off for PCOS = BFP 5/7/2012
    Due 12/29/2012
  • Options
    I admit it. I am a paranoid uncool freak and will never get one.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    Hav=Fath said:

tmsgrl said:

Hav=Fath said:

I wouldn't ever have anyone over here that would sue if their kid got hurt so to me that's a non issue. I'm sure some people might have acquaintances over, but here everyone that comes over are our best friends/family so no worries. 

that is what everyone thinks until it happens.
  • Options
    tmsgrl said:

Hav=Fath said:

tmsgrl said:

Hav=Fath said:

I wouldn't ever have anyone over here that would sue if their kid got hurt so to me that's a non issue. I'm sure some people might have acquaintances over, but here everyone that comes over are our best friends/family so no worries. 

that is what everyone thinks until it happens.

Eh it's like am urban legend to me everyone says it happens but I have never actually seen it happen. That being said we are getting a pool next year too:)
  • Options

I can't get over the suing thing. So do people really sue their friends? Might can't imagine suing a friend if my kid broke their arm at their house.

No they don't at least I have never seen it like I said urban legend.
  • Options
    I can't get over the suing thing. So do people really sue their friends? Might can't imagine suing a friend if my kid broke their arm at their house.
    Me either.. what? If a friend sued me over that, I would venture to guess *I* have issues in choosing some suck ass friends.

We don't have one, but we can't fit one. Our backyard is too small, it would take up the whole yard.  I would get one, though. I used to have a friend that had one when I was a kid and I loved it!  We have a mini one in the house, does that count? DD used it when she was smaller lots.
    E+C
    (+ hers and his, ages 13 & 8)
    TTC
  • Options

I love them and we will have one. Our old neighbors had the one with the netting around it and we are looking at those kinds. DS loves bouncing and jumping.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers ANGELS ARE GIVEN WINGS AND TAKEN BACK TOO SOON --- We love and miss you soo much Kacie Rae --- 9/11/10 --- born sleeping at 29wks2d
  • Options
    They way I look at it swing set injuries are more common than trampoline injuries. I will not wrap them in bubble wrap. They will ride bikes, do the monkey bars, ride scooters, swim and play on the trampoline.
  • Options
    They way I look at it swing set injuries are more common than trampoline injuries. I will not wrap them in bubble wrap. They will ride bikes, do the monkey bars, ride scooters, swim and play on the trampoline.
    In other words.. you will let them be kids :)
    E+C
    (+ hers and his, ages 13 & 8)
    TTC
  • Options

No they don't at least I have never seen it like I said urban legend.
    I'm talking brain injury or something that might incur huge medical costs.
  • Options
    Chapter79 said:

In other words.. you will let them be kids :)

You got it. And if that includes a broken bone so be it, good things bones are made to heal themself.
  • Options

tmsgrl said:

Hav=Fath said:

They also wouldn't cover us for a broken arm on our monkey bars but tons of people have swing sets.

If you have a trampoline that you failed to disclose to your insurance company and your house burns to the ground, they could say that your policy was void because you had a trampoline.
  • Options
    tmsgrl said:

tmsgrl said:

Hav=Fath said:

If you have a trampoline that you failed to disclose to your insurance company and your house burns to the ground, they could say that your policy was void because you had a trampoline.

Actually not true I actually asked last time someone said this. Yet another urban legend. My insurance guy actually laughed when I asked and was like um no.
  • Options
    We will buy personal liability when we put in a pool more to protect our assets not really out of fear.
  • Options
    NandaB said:

I bet La-a would sue her friend

My cousins brothers sisters best friend told me she knew a la-a who sued once!
  • Options
    lightgetsinlightgetsin member
    edited October 2013
    We will buy personal liability when we put in a pool more to protect our assets not really out of fear.
    What does that mean?  To protect your assets in case somebody sues you??  I have never heard of somebody suing a pool owner.  I think that is an urban legend.

Why do you think you need insurance for your pool but not your trampoline?

• Options
    CnAmom said:

Did she sue her parents for a lfetime of emotional anquish?

Yep and now she is a millionaire on welfare. Let's get all the legends in this post.
  • Options
    I love them but would probably not get one. I'm not afraid of guests we invited over. But when I was a teen my sister and I used to sneak out and play on people's trampolines and in their pools in the middle of the night. We would even climb fences to get to them. Looking back that was so stupid, but we were teenagers. Teenagers do stupid things.

And as far as law suits. It's generally not the person who was over that sues you. But they come over, their kid gets hurt, they go to the doctor. Their doctor asks how they got hurt and finds out that it was on a trampoline, which is what is written on the report to their health insurance company. The health insurance company then opens an investigation as to where the injury happened and when they find out it was at your house then their insurance sues your insurance.  It's not people being assholes, it's insurance companies doing their best to avoid paying money because providing healthcare to people might cut into their profits and affect CEO salaries.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I love them but would probably not get one. I'm not afraid of guests we invited over. But when I was a teen my sister and I used to sneak out and play on people's trampolines and in their pools in the middle of the night. We would even climb fences to get to them. Looking back that was so stupid, but we were teenagers. Teenagers do stupid things.

And as far as law suits. It's generally not the person who was over that sues you. But they come over, their kid gets hurt, they go to the doctor. Their doctor asks how they got hurt and finds out that it was on a trampoline, which is what is written on the report to their health insurance company. The health insurance company then opens an investigation as to where the injury happened and when they find out it was at your house then their insurance sues your insurance.  It's not people being assholes, it's insurance companies doing their best to avoid paying money because providing healthcare to people might cut into their profits and affect CEO salaries.
    My daughter fell off a horse at a fall festival one year.  I took her to the doctor because she hurt her arm.  This exact thing happened, the insurance company kept calling and asking for details.  I told them that nobody else was responsible so they did not pursue it.  We are talking an ER visit though, not millions of dollars so I totally could see that happening.
  • Options
    Oooh I love trampolines.  I don't think our lot is level enough to have one though, but if it was that would probably be a Christmas present in a few years.  Also, having just recently switched our homeowner's insurance, it is most definitely one of the questions they ask when getting info on your property.  
  • Options
    I'm all for exercise and don't fret over much, but I don't love trampolines.  I've seen lots of broken arms and sprained ankles from them.  I think they are fun though.  If my insurance would go because of it, not worth it to me.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    tmsgrl said:

Hav=Fath said:

This. I know 2 people that sued bc there kids got hurt on a trampoline while at friends houses. But also know someone that sued bc there kid got hurt at her friends pool.

Idno trampolines freak me out. Im not worried about people falling off of them its more like when theres more then one person on it and the rythem gets messed up. Thats when alot of injuies happen ime.

When i was 5 i was on a trampoline with my uncle and through off the rythem and vlew out his knee. He had to have like 3 surgury and didnt walk for close to a year.
  • Options

Yes!! Like i said before i knew a few people who have sued there friends. One was a neighbor tho the people they sued, the girls were bff since babies, the families great friends. The one who sued couldn't afford medical bills when the girl broke her leg. It all snow balled from there.
    But we had 2 friends break there arms in our yard and my parents didn't get sued.
  • Options
    id012 said:
    Yes!! Like i said before i knew a few people who have sued there friends. One was a neighbor tho the people they sued, the girls were bff since babies, the families great friends. The one who sued couldn't afford medical bills when the girl broke her leg. It all snow balled from there. But we had 2 friends break there arms in our yard and my parents didn't get sued.

So because they failed to properly plan for emergencies they sued their friends?? Their kid could've broken her leg falling off her bike too...would they sue the bike manufacturer?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Someone I know was carrying her daughter into a friend's house.  SHE fell and the daughter got hurt.  She sued and they were supposedly "best friends".  It does make me think a little bit about who I want to have over!
    TTC since September '08 After 2 m/c - lap for stage 3-4 endo Oct '09 Bravelle w/Ovidrel trigger - iui on 11/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"