August 2013 Moms

Watching TV

I typically have the news on each morning and evening. On weekends we watch sports. TV is off all day long. When it is on, I've noticed LO is enthralled by the screen. He'll even crane his neck around to watch if he's in his bouncer which faces away from TV.
While I know one should never let their LO watch TV - like infant videos, etc. I'm wondering if I should reduce my news intake to keep him away from TV. The TV/living room/kitchen/den is all one giant room, so if the TV is on he'll definitely hear/see it.
I don't know if I explained this very well but curious as to your thoughts and if your LOs react the same way to the TV

Re: Watching TV

• The only time I care about DD not watching TV is at night within the hour she is going to bed. Otherwise why not? The lights are stimulating!
  • You can always turn his bouncer around so he can't see it. Dh's cousin does this with her 4 month old.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • At this age, it's the lights and noise and not the content.  I've also heard that realtime TV is ok once they're older, so not cartoons but the news should be fine. 

Baby C - 08.23.13
  • At this point, he can't see it very well so he just sees movement and lights and hears the noise, which is the same way most baby toys get and keep his attention. I would just avoid having it on (or turn it down and face him away) when he doesn't need the stimulation, like right before nap/bed time.
  • I have read some articles about keeping children away from tv until about two only because there is nothing they can get out of it until about that age and thy are UNSURE if there are any lasting negative effects on eye and brain development. For me I'm like pp I have to have the tv on all day even if I'm not even in the room it's background noise. But at this point we don't directly set DS up where he's facing the tv he's usually horizontal to it or facing away but if he does turn his head to see, which he does, we don't make a huge deal of it. And most of the time if he's that awake and alert we're playing with or talking to him so he refocuses on us. We just went to Buffalo Wild Wings for DH's birthday and there was no getting away from tons of huge screens there. We joked about how intrigues DS was by them since he's never directly looking at ours for too long. No big deal, though he did seem to be overly stimulated but that could have also been due to the huge group of people, new surroundings and noise
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Jackson was born 8/11/2013 3:53 am 6 lbs 12 oz
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • tarapike86tarapike86 member
    edited October 2013
    Ds is currently watching hotel transylvania with his sisters
    Tara
  • I'm with pp. I don't have the tv on all day but a decent portion.
    LO does not face the tv but will turn to look.
    I spend plenty of time providing her stimulation in other ways.

What's this about cartoons are bad? I am going to look into that.
  • I follow the advice of not letting LO watch TV or be exposed to a screen until age 2.  This is recommended based on neuro research and is explained in the book "What's going on in there" by Lise Elliot.    Children need to learn to intake stable images (coordinate their eyes and the intake) first before they can handle the rapid changes on the screen - there is some evidence that early exposure to these types of images impact attention span.

My sister adhered to this and her first born has the attention span of a brain surgeon (he is 7) - with her second, he watched TV because of his brother, and there is a notable difference.  Not saying it was due to the TV solely, but you never know! :)

• Here is the publication from the aap regarding media exposure under the age of 2.
    https://m.pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2011/10/12/peds.2011-1753.full.pdf

I'm not choosing sides here, but the article is interesting and something I'm going to look further in to. (LO is currently sleeping in the same room with a tv on)
  • Please tell me this is a joke? I mean, what?
        DS born 8-16-2013
  • My lo is is currently sleeping in the room with the tv on.... Shame on me!
    image image
  • My LO is watching the Walking Dead right now ;)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers  
  • *waits for the anti tv before 2 mommiez to eat crow*
    image image

• Soleil3 said:

*waits for the anti tv before 2 mommiez to eat crow*

But Soleil!!!! They even posted articles to back their claim!!!
        DS born 8-16-2013
  • Our tv is on all day.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • My pedi recommends no tv before 2, but she says being in the same room is fine, just face baby away from it. I think the main thing with no tv is backlash after the whole "baby Einstein" craze. As long as tv isn't taking the place of real human stimulation, and the baby's exposure to it is incidental, I don't think you need to change your own tv consumption.
  • Soleil3 said:

Yes, how silly of them to back up their opinions with sources!
  • edited October 2013

Soleil3 said:

Precisely. The *key* word is THEIR opinions. Thanks for playing!

Definitely a sarcasm reading fail.
    Eye roll.
        DS born 8-16-2013
  • I have a spinning lamp that projects images onto a screen. Its bright colors and movement. LO is enthralled with it. He MUST be screwed.

• The research means actually sitting in front of and watching TV with intention. Of course my LO is in the same room with the TV on, and we joke about her "watching it" This came out in rebuttal to Baby Einstein videos and moms who were sitting very young babies down to watch tv in hopes of educational benefits. Turns out, not so.
  • My pedi recommends no tv before 2, but she says being in the same room is fine, just face baby away from it. I think the main thing with no tv is backlash after the whole "baby Einstein" craze. As long as tv isn't taking the place of real human stimulation, and the baby's exposure to it is incidental, I don't think you need to change your own tv consumption.
    Didnt see this... Yes that is what I've read too
  • Soleil3 said:

Eye roll.
    No, I read your sarcasm just fine, and took exception to it. You're acting like the article posted was some sort of fluff piece unworthy of consideration. Last I checked the AAP was a pretty credible source, and I think it's weird of you to mock someone for posting it to back up their reasons for behaving a certain way. You're one of the people always saying "do your research, " after all. (A sentiment I agree with btw)
  • If I couldn't have the tv on, I wouldn't survive as a SAHM.
  • ChelseamoleeChelseamolee member
    edited October 2013
    Also, it's like every year they discredit what they said the year before. I take everything with a grain of salt. Does LO watch tv? No. Do I lay in bed with the tv on at night while he's asleep? Yes. I don't think this is going to hurt his chances of being a brain surgeon if he so chooses.

I should add at night when he's asleep I put on subtitles :)
  • Soleil3 said:

Eye roll.
    No, I read your sarcasm just fine, and took exception to it. You're acting like the article posted was some sort of fluff piece unworthy of consideration. Last I checked the AAP was a pretty credible source, and I think it's weird of you to mock someone for posting it to back up their reasons for behaving a certain way. You're one of the people always saying "do your research, " after all. (A sentiment I agree with btw)

You can think whatever you will. I, was responding to Soleil, sarcastically about the "anti-TV" mommies that would come to flame all of us that don't mind a little TV here and there. What is your argument exactly? That I shouldn't have response to SOME ONE else in a sarcastic manner? I don't need you to tell me how credible the AAP is. Nor do I need you to remind me of my stance.

If you're going to continue to go back forth with me...at least let it be for a legitimate reason and not my sarcastic undertones. Because, as you stated, I do condone research. Will I allow my child to watch TV every now and then? Yep. Have I researched this matter? Yep.
        DS born 8-16-2013
  • Anybody else think that there is way too much focus on how to make LO 'perfect'?

Every kid is different and why can't that just be embraced instead of worrying about some phd students research that TV can lead to ADD. Your kid may be smart, or may be good at sports instead, may be an introvert, or the most social person in school, maybe can run fast but reads slow. Or maybe reads fast but runs slow. Every kid is different that's what makes the world go around.

Don't let your baby sit in a dirty diaper or in their cribs crying out for you. Feed them, bathe them, and snuggle. Give as much love as you can possibly give and I believe our kids will turn out just fine.

::rant over::

Love Xamillion
  • I'm just mad people keep mentioning The Walking Dead! Am I missing reruns?!!? What time do those come on?

LOL I guess LO will now be exposed to that...

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP 3/29/2014 2u2 Let's do this!

BabyFruit Ticker

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif

• jbbolton said:

I follow the advice of not letting LO watch TV or be exposed to a screen until age 2.  This is recommended based on neuro research and is explained in the book "What's going on in there" by Lise Elliot.    Children need to learn to intake stable images (coordinate their eyes and the intake) first before they can handle the rapid changes on the screen - there is some evidence that early exposure to these types of images impact attention span.

My sister adhered to this and her first born has the attention span of a brain surgeon (he is 7) - with her second, he watched TV because of his brother, and there is a notable difference.  Not saying it was due to the TV solely, but you never know! :)

Damn you mean i cant turn ds into a tony stark by watching avengers and big bang theory with him? Damn.

Actually ds has no interest in the tv. Now the cieling fan thats another story completley. Also he loooves music with strong beats. And riding in the car.
  • Soleil3 said:

I assume you are referring to me here since I don't see any other links in the thread. Did you even read what I wrote before lumping me into "the anti tv mommies backing their claim"?
    I didn't back anything...even said my LO was laying in the room with the tv on.
    The link is an interesting read and has good points. Will my kid go 2 YEARS without exposure to tv.....um no.
  • LokiLahve said:

Soleil3 said:

I assume you are referring to me here since I don't see any other links in the thread. Did you even read what I wrote before lumping me into "the anti tv mommies backing their claim"?
    I didn't back anything...even said my LO was laying in the room with the tv on.
    The link is an interesting read and has good points. Will my kid go 2 YEARS without exposure to tv.....um no.
    Assumptions assumptions. My response was not ONLY in regards to you. If you've been on the bump, longer than just a few months you would've seen this argument surface before. Along with the same article you posted. So...no my comment wasn't just for you. Why you feel the need to tell me what you "back".... *shrugs*

I never asked.
        DS born 8-16-2013
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"