Homeschooling

Anyone using My Fathers Work Kindergarten?

I am totally new to homeschooling (and to this board)and am so excited to start my son in Kindergarten this year!  Since we are still pretty early in the school year I wondered if anyone had experience with this program or have any tips? Any imput appreciated! Thanks!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Anyone using My Fathers Work Kindergarten?

• I am using it right now with my two boys.  I'm sort of documenting the process in my blog - link in my signature.

So far, I like the skeleton of the curriculum.  I feel like it needs a lot of supplementation in phonics, and especially math.  Math is pretty non-existent.  The phonics work is good for Pre-K, but not anywhere close to where a Kindergartner needs to be. 

But, the teacher's guide is well put together, IMO, and the ideas in it are wonderful.  My kids are loving it.

DO you have any specific questions about it?

• Thanks for the info! Ill def check out your blog.  I guess the only specific question I can think of right now is what programs would you recommend to use as supplements?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Well, for math we're supplementing with Saxon 1.  Everyone prefers different methods, so you just need to decide what kind of math you want - Saxon, Singapore, Math-U-See - those are all popular.  We're actually thinking of switching curriculum when we finish this year, because the Saxon work is too redundant for my son.  He's way ahead in math and gets bored with the repetition in the Saxon curriculum, so we're going to try something else.  Possibly Harcourt, but we'll see.

For phonics, we skipped ahead and started working out of the MFW 1 workbook for 6YO.  He was already reading before we started MFW K, so the letter introduction stuff just wasn't enough.  We're also doing spelling lists I found online for free.

I also do a lot supplementing to the units.  The BIble studies are just enough for my boys right now, but sometimes we add extra art projects, science experiments or whatever else we can find that relates to the topic.  Pinterest is a great source for this.

• That def helps! I will check those out! Thanks :)

• The only thing I've learned from this thread is that adamwife is still around.  

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• I didn't read anything in here @sandyclam.  

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"