April 2013 Moms
Options

Juice for constipation

DD has been constipated and straining to pass harder than normal stools. I called the dr office today and the nurse called me back and recommended that I try giving her prune juice or apricot nectar. We picked up some apricot nectar but it is so thick dd does not seem to be able to get it out of the bottle. She is only five months so I'm not sure if I should try a sippy cup or what. The office was closed by the time we got it to try so any advice would be great...I'm feeling like a dumb first time mom!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Juice for constipation

• Options
    I, personally, wouldn't give juice but if it's thick, you can try a sippy cup, spoon, syringe...anything to give it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Maybe even just some water?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sorry you're dealing with this. Our toddler just went through a terrible couple of weeks where he was intentionally holding it for whatever reason until he was miserable. I had to give him a pedia lax suppository. I wouldn't wish that experience on anyone, so hopefully the juice works for you!

He didn't have an issue until older, but maybe you could try watering the juice down a little to get it to work in a bottle? If not that, maybe a spoon? It would be good to identify the cause of constipation too. Is your LO getting anything with lots of iron (formula, vitamin drops, cereal, etc)? Good luck!!
  • Options
    Every Peditrician is different!!! I have heard to give an ounce or 2 of water. I have also heard juice but not those (if I recall & don't quote me apple juice or pear juice). U have to do what u think is best but I would try water first
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    When we had to do juice for the same reason we put about 1oz mixed in with 3 oz BM in a bottle. We dd this once a day until she went (took 3 days once and 2 another). She was never straining though, had just hit to 10 day mark with no movement.

Now we are playing with solids and going every.single.day again ;)

Good luck.

• Options
    Apple juice works too. Prunes are a good softener, but the sugar in the juice tends to pull more water into their little intestines, softening up the poop and making it easier to pass. So, as PP mentioned, apple or pear juice would probably do the trick too. Or just water it down.
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic!Image and video hosting by TinyPic
               Warner, our early surprise, born March 12, 2013!
            Watching You Grow Everyday, Right Before Our Eyes!
  • Options
    I would just try water before juice! A couple ounces. If that doesn't work, you could move on to the juice.

• Options
    Pear juice worked for us under the same circumstances
  • Options
    Make sure you dilute the juice with water 50/50.  We use prune juice over here.  Works great!  Plain old water can work too.  Sometimes I just add an extra ounce of water to baby's formula bottle if I feel like she needs the extra hydration once a day.

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"