19 Weeks Pregnant

19 weeks and not very big

Since the day I found out I was pregnant, I was excited to see my tummy grow and get a cute little bump. However I've gotten to my 19th week, and yes my tummy has grown but I feel like pictures I've seen of "19 week" tummy's are a lot more of a defined bump and it's obvious they're pregnant. Worried that maybe baby isn't growing properly or something? Anyone else in the same boat?

Re: 19 weeks and not very big

• Don't worry, mine isn't very big either, looks a little better than a beer gut now :) yayee! :) I think with baby's growth spurt coming up, it'll push out nicely now :)  I have to wear something really tigh to see that i'm pregnant, otherwise it looks like i've got some blubber around my middle! eeu! :) Your doctor will tell you if there is something wrong.  I haven't really felt the "butterflies" but keep feeling movement, more like rubbing on the inside, thus everyone is just different :)
  • My first pregnancy, I started wearing maternity clothes at 6.5 months and was told I looked 5 months pregnant at 8 months. I gained only 15 lbs and had an 8 lb 3 oz baby with NO health issues almost a week early. I had no complications and recovered well. This time around, I have lost weight but can tell I am pregnant earlier but am still smaller than plenty. Baby kicks very consistently. We are all so different each and every time. If you are truly concerned, ask your dr. or midwife. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry. Most drs. will tell you if there is reason to be concerned :) Hope this helps!
  • Loading the player...
  • Hi, dont worry your baby is fine and growing healthy. Remember we all have different body shapes and also its different when its your first verses not being your first pregnancy. This is my first pregnancy and my belly is not huge but I depend on the doctor, look forward for heart beats and just try to eat healthy. Also, i do feel movements its like a lil gold fish in a fish tank. Your baby is very healthy and growing properly.
  • I am at the same stage, and I have the same issue.  Instead of looking pregnant I feel like I look like I've been hitting the Dunkin Donuts drive thru pretty hard!  After reading responses from some of the other "moms-to-be" I feel a lot better, and now i can focus on getting excited for my ultrasound next week!

• Hi ladies!  Glad to hear we are all in the same boat!  I will be 19w tomorrow but Monday at 18 weeks my Dr. told me I had only gained 3lbs!!  I feel like I've gained at least that much in my chest!!!  But she was not concerned bc I am petite and said the lbs would start coming on soon.  I too have been looking forward to a big baby belly!  I actually try to wear tighter shirts so it looks like a baby bump and not a beer gut!!  Happy gaining!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hi! I'm 19 weeks today as well and I think I just look like I have a fatty belly but it doesnt look like a baby bump until I eat something lol. I think it's normal for us. I did gain some in my chest like you and I do wear tighter shirts too to show it off lol.

You are fine and if you think something is wrong just make sure and check with your dr.

Take care! Congrats! Yay we are almost there! 

• With my son whois now 8 years old I did not show until around 6 months and i still was wearing regular clothes maybe a size bigger. Then over night it seems like 7 months came and so did my belly. But with this baby at 19 weeks I have mixed comments from people. "Oh are you having twins"? or " Gosh, your bellyis big for almost 5 months". I thought something was wrong with me. Then I have parents at work tell me "your small you don't even look pregnant". So I listen to my doctor, blood work, and ultra sounds and the kicks of my baby to reassure me that all is going fine with her.  
    Hugs and Love Jettie V.
  •  

iam also 19 weeks not big at all. the ladies at work say i still dont look pregnant. although i have not gained any weight. but i exercise like crazy to keep in shape for my dirt bike:) have fun growing and be happy your not exactly a balloon just yet!

• so relieved to see others are having this same experience. i am 19 wks this week (1st pregnancy) and have gained 10 lbs, but i swear it's about 90% in my chest and the rest just looks like -- well, yes, it looks like i just have a doughnut habit. i am in maternity shirts but not maternity pants.

however, i'm feeling fine otherwise and take "no news is good news" as my guide. my complaint about the lack of a bump is just out of vanity, but still it feels nice to see others having a similar experience.

• I feel like at this point I thought I would be bigger too. I don't fit my regular pants anymore, but maternity pants like fall off. I have gained less than ten pounds.  It's a good thing I work for my husband and can pretty much wear whatever I want to work or i would prob cry every morning trying to get dressed. I am wearing some Adidas swishies today.

Just thought I would mention....We don't always have to be totally honest with people. If you are sick of hearing "oh you don't even look pregnant" fib to those that don't see you often or the niby person in the maternity section. Later down the line if you are nine months and look 6.... just tell stangers what they want to hear : )

• I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only woman to feel small at this stage. My hubby thinks it's sexy but I think it's to small. Have a doc's appt tomorrow. I'm very petite so I'm not to concerned. Had a gender ultrasound done at 16wks, it wasn't at my doc but they do a lot of the diagnostic measuring as well. She said I was right on schedule and he was growing nicely. Everyone's body is different. Can't wait to actually look like it!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Yes everyone is different. I been having a belly since about week 17. It was big, but now you can definitely tell I am pregnant. I love every minute of it! When I went to my doctor's appointment at 17 weeks, I didn't gain any weight, but it felt like I gained 4 pounds. I can still wear some of my jeans, but have to wear the belly band with it because I cannot button my pants.

I feel the baby move all the time now! I even feel it kicking!! It's such an exciting moment. It feels like muscle spasms. It's crazy!

Good luck to all you girls! Hope the rest of your pregnancy is easy and breezy! 

• same here, I even lost some weight but the doc is not concerned so im trying not to be. maybe this means less stretch marks????Wink
  • I feel the same way as you!  Just a little bit of a belly and no real signs of movement yet.  Although I still am running and working out 5 days a week.  It could have something to do with that!  Excited that we're half way through!  I can't wait to meet this new baby girl!
  • i just turned 19 weeks today and im not showing at all really just a little but in my family my mom and grandmother carried thier babies high so they never showed until the 8 or ninth month they just looked chunky but at least i cant feel the baby move. lol
  • I've been the exact same way. I'm 19 weeks today and people still can't tell that I'm pregnant. My mother showed very late and my sister in law didn't start showing unitl she was just shy of 7 months. I spoke to my mid-wife about it and we've gotten ultrasounds to make sure our little girl is growing well and everything is going amazingly. I've only gained 4 pounds the whole pregnancy so far which also worried me a little... but again my mid-wife said everything is going well and I feel great! Remember that you know your body better than anyone else so if things feel like they're going well and your doc tells you they're good I wouldn't worry about it! Hope you have a great rest of your pregnancy! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Same here. My bump is only now starting to be noticable, but even so, its not THAT obvious looking, even when I wear tighter clothes. But, my OB said that everything is on target and the baby is growing just fine! 

• Hey hun,
    Its nothing to really worry about with my son i didnt start showing until i was seven months pregnant and this time around i am not that big and i am going on 20 weeks. it is nothing to worry about if the baby is doing good, and is growing the way taht it should. But also listen to your doctor if she/he starts to worry then ask question but until then just enjoy. Congrats. :)
  • I'm 19 weeks too and I'm still a size 1, my tummy just looks a little bloated. Everyone I tell that I'm pregnant doesn't believe that im 5 months. I had a ultrasound last week and the Dr. said that SHE (woo hoo:}) is small for her age but nice and healthy. I guess she's just "short" which is kinda strange to me because I am 5'7 and my bf is 6'2. But I feel lots of her little movements, she really likes music (like her daddy) and showers (like her mommy)...I can't wait to meet little zoe monroe.
  • Dont worry. I am def not that big either. I am starting to round out which was a really big body image fear of mine but my tummy has not grown nowhere near as much as I have seen in some people's pictures. I was worried at first too until the doctor told me that the baby was developing fine and I was just one of those women who carried very well for now :-)
  • Hi, there!  You're little sweetie is sure to be fine.  :)  Don't feel alone in this.  Even with everyone being different, there are still a few of us in a similar place right now.  

I'm 19 weeks today, and DH and I are the only ones who can really "see" the change.  Everyone else was shocked when we made the announcement a few days ago.  Maybe I just look fluffy, who knows. haha!  Yup, it's tempting to go through the "what ifs" and "I want a bump's,"  but I'm trying hard to just enjoy the process...and the luxury or wearing my everyday clothes since I know I'll miss them later.  Lots of time connecting with the baby has been the most helpful remedy so far.  Of course, hearing the heartbeat always helps, too.  ;)

I don't know if this has any similarities to your situation, but my midwife commented yesterday that our baby was very deep.  She suspects that the uterus is tipped backward instead of forward, which she said happens for a while in some women.  That, I imagine, has some effect on bumpage.  ;)  

Take care!  You're little one will be showing up soon.  :) 

• if its your first you wont show that big by now! im on my 4th and popped out right away and everyone can tell im pregnant!! ive gained 10lbs so far! but then again i also have big babies (9lbs or bgger) and that could be another reason as well as im a tiny person and do show right away...it all depends on the person and size of baby!! im sure its fine! congrats! the drs will be checking the stomach measurments at your appt and will let you know if your under the norm!

• I made 19 weeks on Saturday. Congrats to every one. :)

I feel bigger than I am, but I know I'm not showing much. To top it off I'm short as well, this my first. My brother in law told me I didn't look preg. and a few of my husbands colliges say I carrying small. As long as I can walk and climb stairs I'm ok. :D

I can't wait to get back to my apartment in NY though (out visiting in PA), Yay Elevator, Lol!

IAmPregnant Ticker
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Maternity tickers
  • I agree with you, I can't wait to be nice and round and feel pregnant and not just fat! :) And some days I feel pregnant an other days I not so much. I think I am suffering from trully mixed emotions. I want to be round with a belly but I think that will only make me more miserable when it comes to sleeping. I don't know - my husband tells me I am crazy and should just relax and let my body do what it knows how to do but that is much easier said than done to a pregnant woman!
  • I really wouldn't worry about it. I am 19 weeks pregnant tomorrow and barely have a bump, and this is my second baby! The girls at work all say I don't even look like I've gained any weight (which if you ask me, I think I look a little chubbier, but hey, I'll take the compliment, lol). I know my friend is pregnant with her first and she looked pretty pregnant by this stage, and I figured with the second baby it would be obvious sooner, but I guess not. However, my baby was measuring 19wks 1 day at my anatomy scan at 17wks 6 days. So, my baby is actually a bit bigger than average at this point. So, don't fret about the baby not growing properly. Bumps have nothing to do with baby growth. I measured small for 40 weeks on my due date with my son, and the dr and the ultrasound technician told me he'd be small around 5-6 lbs. He was a whopping 7lbs 9 oz, and 21.5 in tall! Your bump will become more prevalent as the weeks go on!
  • Im 19 weeks and a day. It's crazy because I do the same as some of you. Like wearing tight shirts. But I can't fit into any of my jeans any more.! Kind of make me sad.! Happy at the same time because I know my baby is growing. I love feeling the kicks and movements. I think you are fine and baby is fine you just have to wait for that sprout enjoy the movements and later you will be enjoying the big baby belly.!
  • I wish I had the same problem as you ladies. My baby bump looked like I hit Dunkin Dnuts one too many times at 13 weeks however by 16 weeks, my baby bump popped and I was prety big for 16 weeks. Now at 19 weeks, I definitely look pregnant! LOL

Good luck girls! =0)

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers It's a boy!!!
  • Yes, I'm in the same boat. This is my first pregnancy and I'm at 19 weeks and I don't think I look pregnant unless I'm wearing something skin tight. I'm very petite, 5'1" and starting weight under 100lbs. I've only gained about 8 to 10 lbs and have a tiny bump, but doctor says everything is fine. I don't want to get huge, but I thought I'd be showing more by now too.
  • Same situation! I have gained 5 lbs and at 19w today I can wear regular a bit tight and uncomfortable for long periods or maternity clothes. Its just a little fullness and if you didn't know I was pregnant you'd think I feel off the diet bandwagon! Considering I lost 80 lbs for my wedding 25 weeks ago, seeing it come back like this not just a defined little bump has been rough on me though. Can't believe the difference these 5 lbs have on my appearance ...
  • if dnt mind me askin when is your due date
  • Me too. I have practally no bump compared to others. Can't wait for an ultrasound to make sure everything is ok
  • Finally, I read a post that reads as if I wrote it. :)

I've been approached by co-workers to whom I hadn't yet spilled the beans...so I know that I'm showing. But I get this comment a lot: "I can see it on your hips...Are you pregnant?" I'm glad that it's still a guessing game. I'm a more private person, I guess. 

I'm not carrying a bump - more like an anthill. At 19 weeks, I've gained 8 lbs so far and most of that has gone to my mid-section. I have no fear that I'll be a bumpee soon enough. Whenever it happens will be the right time.

• Ugh yes! I am 19 weeks pregnant too and my tummy has grown a little, however it's not as I expected ither!
  • JettieW I have a son who is almost 8 as well.

Today I walked into a classroom and the entire class thought I was having twins. I wasn't sure if I should laugh or be offended. I guess the second baby no matter how long in between changes how we grow. Ladies who don't have big bumps yet... Enjoy it while it lasts, it won't be long :
  • I'm not showing much either at 19 weeks which is surprising to me as I am thin. But the doctor says I'm healthy and the baby looked normal on the ultrasound so I try not to worry. I try and look at it this way if I had a big belly I would be really uncomfortable and probably in some pain due to all the weight. It's hard enough for me to bend over or get up anymore. Even though there isn't much to see baby always reminds me that he/she is there:
  • I'm the same, but slowly noticing a bigger bump this week! I think we will notice more in the next few weeks!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"