Food Allergy

First signs

For moms that EBF, what were the first signs you saw that indicated to you your LO might have a food allergy?

Once DS2 was four weeks old he has turned really fussy after eating and is spitting up more than he used to. I am wondering if it might be something I'm eating or if I'm just overly sensitive to the possibility of food allergies because DS1 has peanut/tree nut allergies.
Baby Q born on 7/20/2017
Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: First signs

• I don't have advice on first signs as I don't EBF, but wanted to let you know that we were told that if you have one child with food allergies your other children have a much higher chance of having allergies. My other thought was could it be reflux? Hope you get it figured out no one likes fussy babies.
  • With DS I knew probably by week 1. He was screaming, not latching, would get a red rash around his mouth and down his body within minutes of eating and was spitting up large amounts after every feeding and in between feedings. He also had frequent bowel movements and a pretty serious diaper rash as a result.  I also was hyper vigilant given DD's allergies so I consulted with the pedi and got him into the allergist by week 2. 
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • EmR22 said:

I don't have advice on first signs as I don't EBF, but wanted to let you know that we were told that if you have one child with food allergies your other children have a much higher chance of having allergies. My other thought was could it be reflux? Hope you get it figured out no one likes fussy babies.

I did know about the second child thing which is probably why we are so closely watching him for signs, but I haven't eaten nuts of any kind since getting pregnant the second time. However I know the allergy could show up with a different food which he could be reacting to

Reflux is a definite possibility.
    Baby Q born on 7/20/2017
  • LSU628 said:

With DS I knew probably by week 1. He was screaming, not latching, would get a red rash around his mouth and down his body within minutes of eating and was spitting up large amounts after every feeding and in between feedings. He also had frequent bowel movements and a pretty serious diaper rash as a result.  I also was hyper vigilant given DD's allergies so I consulted with the pedi and got him into the allergist by week 2. 

Thanks for sharing your experience. Other than the spit up that doesn't sound like DS. He loves BFing and actually gained almost 4lbs in his first month (went from 6.6 to 10.5) so was keeping most of it down. No diaper rash (yet).

Baby Q born on 7/20/2017
  • my son had sever rashes and swelled eyes -took us 8 months and an anaphalexis reaction to figure out it was an allergy.  We were so clueless. 
  • My son had skin issues from day 1. First just very dry, then really bad eczema. Around 7 weeks he went from happy to fussy. Poops turned mucousy around then. A week later, the projectile vomit started. He would throw up 7-10 times a day, but was fine after. It was awful. I was EBF. My first has no food allergies that we know of.
    He has a dairy allergy. Pedi ordered testing around 3 mos due to the combination of all the symptoms.
    GL.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • before assuming it's foid, you should make sure you don't have a hindmilk/foremilk imbalance. it can cause fussiness, gas, green poops etc.
    Racheal- a newly single, student mom to 3 boys 

CC 10/2005
    NC 11/2009
    DC 08/2012

and TEAM GREEN 05/2014

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"