Pre-School and Daycare

How do you answer questions about how babies are made?

DD asked me about this the other day. She has been curious about it ever since her little sister was born. She asks a lot about how I became her mommy, which I usually explain by saying "because you came out of my belly." But, now she wants even more info, specifically about DH being her daddy, etc. I don't remember exactly how she phrased it. I was able to put off the subject, but I want to be more prepared the next time she asks.

I always think telling her the truth is best, but I want to do it in a way that doesn't freak her out and/or give her something to talk about in school (only for the other parents to come running to me!). 

TIA!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How do you answer questions about how babies are made?

• I'm wondering the same thing. My 3yo is very excited about our new baby coming and has asked how the baby gets out, but not how it gets in. We're religious, so I've just told her God helps mommy get the baby out when it's grown big and strong enough to be born and that satisfied her for the moment, but I'm sure it won't be long before she asks again  :/

I think I'm going to get a children's book on the subject for her, but I'm in need of suggestions.
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I just ordered this book. Some ladies on here recommended it. I haven't gotten it yet but DS has been asking specific questions I hope it helps. I want to be completely honest (of course age appropriate) so in the future he doesn't get misinformed.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1609804856
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I have heard the best way to answer it is to ask them back, how do you think babies are made? 

And then fill in from there. Keep it simple and factual. 

https://www.babycenter.com/0_how-to-talk-to-your-preschooler-about-how-babies-are-made_10309539.bc

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• Thanks for all of the great feedback! DD will definitely probe for more information (she always does), so I will need to be prepared to explain the whole process. The "how did it get in there" part is what I'm the most apprehensive about. But, maybe the books you recommended will help. 

• My last pg was via IVF so DS1 knew that the doctor put the baby there.  I had a c/s with this last pg and with my twins so he knew that the baby was carefully cut out of my tummy.  Not sure when we'll get into how other people get babies in/out of the belly but that's enough info for right now.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • Give the least info you can that still satisfies the question.

At first you can say, "You grew in my belly."  That satisfies many preschoolers.  If they ask about Daddy's role, you can say "He's your daddy because he's married to me."  Eventually they want to know, "But how did I get in your belly."  Then you can say "You grew from a tiny cell."  Sometimes that is enough for a while.  But if they keep asking, you can say, "A cell from Daddy and a cell from me joined together and then you started growing.  That combined cell divided into 2, then those cells each divided into 2, so there were four total... and so on."  

Eventually they ask "but how did the cell from Daddy get to the cell from you?"  Then you can talk about penis, sperm, egg, uterus, etc.  You might not even have to describe intercourse at that stage, but you're setting the stage for that conversation.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • DTNZ4Ever said:
    I just ordered this book. Some ladies on here recommended it. I haven't gotten it yet but DS has been asking specific questions I hope it helps. I want to be completely honest (of course age appropriate) so in the future he doesn't get misinformed. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1609804856
    I was just going to suggest that book! A friend of ours has it and it really is fantastic.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"