Food Allergy
Options

a question no one can seem to answer for me.

HI all. My baby girl is 8 months old, and we have tried LITERALLY every.single.formula. there is. First, it was a diaper rash. We would receive donor milk and she wouldn't have any formula for a few weeks, then we would start phasing it back in, usually with a different formula. Then the diaper rashes started getting worse, bleeding, open, yuck. Not from a lot of poo diapers, either. Fast forward to 3 weeks ago when we were in the ER three times for huge, open, oozing sores around her hip and diaper area. Then, 4 days later, after being put on Elecare, she had taken a bottle in the doctor's office, and immediately started having issues breathing and broke out in hives. 2 days later we were back because her eyes became swollen and she was having lime green poop. 
All of this happened on formula. 
On donor milk, which our donors aren't on any special diet, there is no reaction. In fact, she becomes a super happy baby that I can put down. 
Her doctor's can't figure it out. She has been referred to derm, allergy and immunology, and gastro, although we can't get her in for at least 2 months.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?? 
Image and video hosting by TinyPicAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Proud mama to a little boy with Horner's Syndrome and milk protein sensitivity, and a little girl with multiple food allergies. 

Re: a question no one can seem to answer for me.

• Options
    So sorry to hear that!  so strange.  

The only thing that popped into my head is that the breast milk is broken down where she can handle it.  Breast milk is much more gentler than anything you can ever make. 

Or perhaps formula is giving her an issue with one common ingredient which is not in breast milk.  I would take the ingredients from all the formulas you have tried and see the common ingredient.  

Good luck!

• Options
    Her pedi's office made the appointments. We call every morning to check cancellations It's driving me crazy not knowing what is causing it. I've started a food diary so we know exactly what she eats every day, because twice she has had something that has broken her out in hives and rash. We've tried finding one common ingredient in everything, unfortunately, corn, soy, and preservatives seem to be commonplace in everything. 

Proud mama to a little boy with Horner's Syndrome and milk protein sensitivity, and a little girl with multiple food allergies. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    i thought elecare doesn't have soy or corn.  I might be wrong.  It just seems like it's that one common ingredient in formula that is causing it.  Maybe there are other formulas you can try?  or keep asking for milk doners.  I know Alecia SIlverstone has a blog and you can request  a milk doner from it.  I'm not a big fan of sharing breast  milk but in your case i would. 
  • Options
    Yea, Elecare has corn in it :( We just picked up 600oz of donor milk, and we are waiting on insurance approval for the milk bank. We've tried everything, from the preemie formulas to the hypoallergenic prescription ones. It's been a long road.

• Options
    UPDATE: She is allergic to corn :( We gave her chicken and gravy puree last night without reading the label and sure enough within an hour she had hives all over her face :( Waiting on Allergy to confirm, but the pedi agrees corn is the problem, maybe soy as well.

• Options

UPDATE: She is allergic to corn :( We gave her chicken and gravy puree last night without reading the label and sure enough within an hour she had hives all over her face :( Waiting on Allergy to confirm, but the pedi agrees corn is the problem, maybe soy as well.

Glad you found an answer!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Also a pediatric allergist can diagnose her food allergies. My DD1 was diagnosed that young via RAST. I know everyone grumbles that it can give false positives but then you would know what to do food trials with
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"