Breastfeeding
Options

Pumping...can we talk about flange fit?

I am having trouble this time with flange fit a lot earlier than I did with DS1. I have every freaking size but none are really comfortable. Basically when I start a pumping session everything is great but 5 mins in and my nipples really start to swell and then rub on the flange but if I go up a size, a lot of aureola gets sucked into the tunnel. Any tips on fitting besides the limited stuff on the Medela website and also any of you power pumping moms have some tips for more comfortable pumping? I'm having a much harder time already this time. :(

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Pumping...can we talk about flange fit?

• Options
    My LC said to put lanolin on before pumping.
    BFP 11/24/2012 - EDD 08/02/2012 - MC 11/28/2012 @ 4w5d
  • Options
    Hi...lurker here. I bought something called pumpin pals from amazon. They are angled flanges and the area that sucks in your nipple is a little wider. Sooooo much more comfortable. It's around $30 for a set of 3 different sizes but well worth it IMO.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had the same problem as op with it rubbing my nipples and I have all the sizes too. For some reason these felt much better. I like they I don't have to lean as far forward either. I'm just not a huge fan of pumping in general haha

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I have this issue too, what's worked for me is to continue using the smaller flange but to lubricate my nipples so that even though it's rubbing, it no longer hurts.

• Options
    Use coconut oil to lubricate the flanges. That helped me a ton and it's ok if it gets in the milk, this worked way better than lanolin as a lubricant.
  • Options
    Use coconut oil to lubricate the flanges. That helped me a ton and it's ok if it gets in the milk, this worked way better than lanolin as a lubricant.
    Olive oil works well, too!

I found that I had to use different flanges all the time.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I hate pumping!! Just hoping to get through another 9 months of it. I did it with DS1 so I really hope I can push through again this time. I've been using my Earth Mama Angel Baby nipple butter to lubricate and keep changing up the flange size. Maybe I'll give the Pumpin Pals a try....

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"