August 2012 Moms

Book poll

So what are you reading right now? 

Who is your favorite modern author? 

What book could you read over and over and  never get sick of it? 

What book were you just meh about that everyone and their mom seemed to love? 
Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

Re: Book poll

• So what are you reading right now? 
    I am reading The Man who Disappeared by Clare Morrall. I have read it before but I liked it and thought, why not? 

Clare Morrall. I feel like she is me but a writer and then I hate her for getting there before I did. 

I could read A Far Cry From Kensington by Muriel Spark and just never tire of it. It is so battered, poor book. She's another favorite but I don't consider current or classic. I would recommend any of her books. 

Eat Pray Love. Maybe it's because I have never been through a divorce but I thought she sounded so idiotic and dippy. I respect people who realize they are in a bad marriage and leave so it's not that I am disrespectful of divorce. She just came off like an idiot to me and I couldn't finish it. 

I am listening to W is for Wasted by Sue Grafton and reading The End of Money by David Wolman.

That's tough! I don't know that I can pick one.

Pride and Prejudice :) I wish I had kept track of how many times I have read it. At least once a year since high school, and I still love it.

Wicked. Maybe people really love the musical more, which I still haven't seen. But the book was long and not that interesting to me. I read it once in college, and then I tried again this summer since I had actually read the Wizard of Oz and thought that might help. I still couldn't get into it.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
    Nothing :( I need to download some books to my Nook but just don't seem to have the time right now. I need to make the time!

I love Nicholas Sparks. Yes, I know, don't hate me. I love his books and can't wait to read his new one! Jodi Picoult is another one of my favorites.

I love love love The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. The book is so much better than the movie. I cry every time I read it.

I can't think of any books I've read that were recommended or popular that I didn't enjoy.

& Sons, by David Gilbert. I'm listening to it on my commute, and the narrator is excellent. I'm not sure if I was reading it in print if I'd be that enthusiastic about it, but it's hard to stop an audiobook when it's narrated really well.

Zadie Smith (although I hated her most recent book), Lorrie Moore, Louise Erdrich, Kazuo Ishiguro

I love A Death in the Family by James Agee- depressing but really poetic. I am not a big re-reader because I always have such a backlog of un-read stuff to read!

Unbroken, by Laura Hillenbrand, and Wild, by Cheryl Strayed are two that I read more recently. I try to avoid books that are majorly hyped because I usually don't like them (probably makes me sound like a huge book snob, but I'll cop to that).
  • @MrsWhipple, I don't hate. I read Jennifer Weiner. She's way below Nicholas Sparks.

Nothing :( I need to download some books to my Nook but just don't seem to have the time right now. I need to make the time!

I love Nicholas Sparks. Yes, I know, don't hate me. I love his books and can't wait to read his new one! Jodi Picoult is another one of my favorites.

I love love love The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. The book is so much better than the movie. I cry every time I read it.

I can't think of any books I've read that were recommended or popular that I didn't enjoy.

I enjoy Nicholas Sparks' books, too. I recently finished Three Weeks with my Brother, which is kind of travelogue/autobiography. Knowing his life story gave me a new appreciation for him as well.

And I liked The Time Traveler's Wife, too. But I read it when I was pregnant with DS and all the pregnancy problems in it made it a little tough, too.

A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson (yes, I am 10 years late to the party....)

Too hard to choose! It would be a throwdown between Martin Amis, Jeffrey Eugenedies and Neil Gaiman. Now that I think of it, it would be a hilarious fight to watch.

Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie. It never gets old. Also, the entire Song of Ice & FIre Series by George RR Martin.

Wild by Cheryl Strayed. I wanted to love it but couldn't. 

• Now I want to read Wild just to see how not that cool it is. :)

• Now I want to read Wild just to see how not that cool it is. :)
    i found the author to be totally full of herself. she was whiny, didn't take any responsibility for her choices, planned very poorly, and (i thought) bragged about being promiscuous and reckless with her personal safety while on the hike. and it didn't seem to me like she had really grown at all over the course of the book. it was supposed to be a tale of how she got over her crap and grew and found herself, but to me she seemed like just as much of a pain in the ass at the end as she was at the beginning. ;)

curious to hear why @JessicaSwanlake didn't like it.
  • I just finished divergent and insurgence. I cannot wait for the next book to come out, alliance, I think that's what it is called.

I downloaded another kindle book, I can't remember the name, I just can't get into it though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • So what are you reading right now?  The Kingsmaker's Daughter by Phillipa Gregory.  I read the White Queen a few years back, and the new miniseries is also based on the Kingsmaker's Daughter, so I'm enjoying that one right now.  

Who is your favorite modern author? Stephen King

What book could you read over and over and  never get sick of it? Gone With The Wind, Times Traveler's Wife.  There are a few more, but I have such a long "to read" list, that I really don't read books twice.

I HATED:
    - 50 Shades of Grey
    -The Notebook (loved the movie thought), Also, The Notebook sequel
    -Something Borrowed (Someone lent me the trilogy of books, and I handed them right back to her after reading the first)

photo judgejudy.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • What I'm reading right now: I'm reading the most recent Game of Thrones book SOOOO slowly.  I want to just sit, read, and FINISH it but life happens.  Next, I'll read one of the many Amazon recommended books I've downloaded.

My favorite modern author:  This is hard for me.  I never read a book because it's by an author.  I've likes all of Dan Brown's stuff.  Everything JK Rowling, Gregory Maguire.

The book I could read over and over: The Harry Potter series... I've read that thing SOO many times and always want MORE!

Books I didn't really care for: Gone Girl

@RNbock2 : I'm eagerly waiting the third book, too!  I have a few series like that one that I've loved if you ever want some recommendations :)

"To be able to practice five things everywhere under heaven constitutes perfect virtue...gravity, generosity of soul, sincerity, earnestness, and kindness."
  • edited September 2013
    I love that I'm not the only one who repeatedly reads Harry Potter.

H makes so much fun of me for this. He's a jerk.

• @Cheerilee, re: Rowling, did you like Casual Vacancy?

I almost listed her as my favorite modern author, but I couldn't get past that one. I love HP & I really enjoyed The Cuckoo's Calling, too.

• @Cheerilee, re: Rowling, did you like Casual Vacancy?

I almost listed her as my favorite modern author, but I couldn't get past that one. I love HP & I really enjoyed The Cuckoo's Calling, too.

I actually haven't gotten to it, yet!  Did you?  Did you like it?

"To be able to practice five things everywhere under heaven constitutes perfect virtue...gravity, generosity of soul, sincerity, earnestness, and kindness."
    I'm currently reading through Emma with my Lit class for the umpteenth time.

Who is your favorite modern author?Janet Evanovich. I can't get enough of Stephanie Plum!

What book could you read over and over and & never get sick of it?
    The Great Gatsby. I read it at least once a year.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Fifty Shades of Grey was the worst piece of trash I've ever read. In second place would be Twilight.

• Cheerilee said:

@Cheerilee, re: Rowling, did you like Casual Vacancy?

I actually haven't gotten to it, yet!  Did you?  Did you like it?

@Cheerilee: I did not really like Casual Vacancy. It didn't really hold my attention until the very end, but I did end up caring what happened to a couple characters. It also seemed like she was trying very hard to write an adult novel.

The Cuckoo's Calling was clearly for adults, but it didn't give off a "trying too hard" vibe, IMO.

Errvryberdy knows I'm re-reading H-Pizzle right now, but before that I read Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern AND I LOVED IT. It was beautiful!

Ummmm...that's really hard. Does Douglas Adams count? Because I love him. Of course I love JK Rowling as well. Thomas Harris, too.

Aside from HP, you mean? I love Red Dragon by Thomas Harris. I've read it a spajillion times.

See, this is just going to reinforce the opinion that I'm an asshole who's just trying to be contrary on purpose: I didn't like:

Eat, Pray, Love
    Gone Girl
    The Help
    Twilight (all of them)
    Anything by Nicholas Sparks, ever

I don't know...they just don't get it up for me. And I genuinely did read them all and WANT to like them. It just didn't happen. 

AUGUST 2012 UNICORN

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"