Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Constantly watching over my LO!

I'm a first time Mom and our DS, Liam, was born on Aug 6. I had NO idea how much becoming a parent would change our whole world. People try to warn you and give you advice but you truly have no clue until you have your first LO. My hubby and I are pretty OCD and it doesn't help matters that my DH is a firefighter/paramedic. When we were still in the hospital with Liam, the staff did a GREAT job at making us over worry about SIDS. Now that LO has been home with us for nearly 2 months now, my hubby and I are still OVERLY paranoid about Liam, especially at night. We take turns sleeping in shifts so at some point, one of us is always up to watch over him. It's pretty nuts. I knew I was going to be a pretty paranoid mom but I never knew I'd sit there and keep checking my son over and over again just to make sure he's still breathing. Does anyone else do this and if you do, does it get better?! Our parents keep telling us that it's normal to be worried but we need to really try to enjoy him rather than stress ourselves out so much. How on earth do I stop myself from obsessing over SIDS?!
Mrs. Lotz

Re: Constantly watching over my LO!

• Options
    We have a Snuza monitor that keeps me sane:) you should look into it. It clips onto their diaper and monitors breathing. If it doesn't detect it, it vibrates to try and wake them. If nothing again it sounds and alarm which I can hear thought our video monitor.
    Off BCP since 1/12
    TTC since 3/12
    High LH/FSH Ratio 8/12
    DX with PCOS 11/12
    Clomid 50mg - 19.5mm Follie - Trigger + TI = BFP! 11/12
    EDD August 11, 2013 
    DS Born August 14, 2013!

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Sleeping in shifts really doesn't sound sustainable.  If you're that worried, invest in a Snuza or an AngelCare monitor.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have an AngelCare monitor. Which is great when she actually sleeps in her crib (which has been like 3 times at this point). My DH and I do shifts, too because he works nights so he's used to being up all night. I've found the fear decreases over time. The only time I freak out now is if she sleeps through a feeding. Then I just check to make sure her skin is warm and let her go. 

Me:27, DH:28 - DX: MFI, varicocele repair Nov 2011 
    Post-Op SA: Count- 15 million, Motility- 75%, Morphology- 3% 
    IVF with ICSI - Stimming 10/4/12 - 10/13/12, Lupron Trigger
    ER 10/18/1212 eggs retrieved, 8 mature, 5 fertilized
    5 day transfer 10/23/12, 3 frosties
    Beta #1 11/5/12: 453, Beta #2 11/7/12: 1,013, DD born 7/19/13
  • Options
    OP, I'm laughing as I read your post because this describes me and my husband with our first son...also named Liam and also born in August. :D Our hospital did a super job at freaking us out about SIDS. They're so good at doing that with first time parents. Even with our ds sleeping in a bassinet right next to my side of the bed, I would sit up and check on him every time he made the slightest noise. People gave us great advice too, but easier said than done. I knew deep down that I should not worry and get some sleep. But that "what if" would nag at me and kept me up. That anxiety will go away eventually. For us, I think it happened around 3-4 months. DS had more head/neck control and I worried less. And, honestly, I was just too tired. I remember my mom telling me (in an effort to ease my worries) that she had me and my sisters sleep on our stomachs and we turned out just fine. That was the recommendation back then. That did NOT make me feel better. I thought dear God, it's a miracle we survived our childhoods. This woman is crazy.

We just had our 3rd son and we're very relaxed now. We do things that would've made me faint when I was a FTM. One day you will look back on this and laugh.
  • Options
    You must have a quiet baby! There is no mistaking our DS breathing. We call him the Bulldog Puppy. He snorts and grunts and snores and moves around all night. Hahah. I am the opposite of you - Since he sleeps in a RnP right beside the bed, I actually sleep with an ear plug in one ear so I can get some sleep. hahaha
  • Options
    I just had my son last week (FTM here), and I am so paranoid that he will stop breathing.  I think my fear is primarily that my cousin had a baby that passed away from this about 15 years ago.  I check on my son all the time too.  You are not alone!  I am thinking about getting a Snuza monitor, but haven't done it yet.

• Options

We have an AngelCare monitor. Which is great when she actually sleeps in her crib (which has been like 3 times at this point). My DH and I do shifts, too because he works nights so he's used to being up all night. I've found the fear decreases over time. The only time I freak out now is if she sleeps through a feeding. Then I just check to make sure her skin is warm and let her go. 

The nice thing about the snuza is it clips to their diaper so you can use it anywhere.
    Off BCP since 1/12
    TTC since 3/12
    High LH/FSH Ratio 8/12
    DX with PCOS 11/12
    Clomid 50mg - 19.5mm Follie - Trigger + TI = BFP! 11/12
    EDD August 11, 2013 
    DS Born August 14, 2013!

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards