Special Needs
Options

Can it be a misdiagnosis?

My DS turn 3 yesterday and Friday we were given his diagnosis. We went to a nearby university clinic were grad students do the actual leg work but it is overseen by multiple professors. The diagnosis is pica, global development delay and asd. The one I'm having trouble with is the asd. I don't feel in denial nor does the word autism scare me what concerns me is I feel it could be something else and I wanna make sure I'm treating the right thing. So thats the question can you get a misdiagnosis on asd? TIA
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Can it be a misdiagnosis?

• Options
    I'm sure it's possible, but what treatment was recommended for what issue? Also, if you are uncomfortable can you bring your child to a different facility? Were the doctors in the room with the grad students during the evaluations?
  • Options
    No but it was taped.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    He was in EI in our area and they transferred him to the school district. Yes the first clinic you mentioned. What doesn't click is his wanting to be social with people if that makes sense. Although still non verbal he constantly tries to talk with us of coarse it's on his terms. And with non family members he will do the same of coarse on his terms. And I guess also every person from his therapist private and EI have doubted him being on the spectrum. It's just confusing to me.
  • Options
    Sorry thefuturemrskudla I didn't answer fully my minds a little dodgy. Lol they recommended ABA for social and communication continuing his occupational and speech and deficincies testing to rule in or out pica. In a nut shell. His OT recommend RBI therapy since he's more social and doesn't have major behavorial issues.
  • Options
    brightyellow, I was just going to give my story if it helps at all.  My son has never been "diagnosed" by an actual dev ped., but has both an SLP for a year and an OT for about 3 months. 

He has mixed-expressive receptive language delay, upper body tone issues, farsided, colorblind, some fine motor delays (although these have improved a ton recently since getting glasses), very proficient in letter recognition and their sounds since 6-12 months ago, he can name all the united states and where they are on a map as well as the oceans, can only have very simple conversations, and has a ton of sensory issues (including avoiding almost all foods that are not carbs.)

Despite that, he is also very social, cuddly and friendly kid. Even though he has trouble understanding what people say and responding to it appropriately, he always wants to say something to just about everyone.  He is very outgoing and that includes always trying to interact with both adults and kids. In fact he started preschool a month ago and now asks to get the "preschool shirt and go see kids"  It makes me so happy because a year ago he only knew a handful of words and the letters of alphabet/numbers . (I know this makes a strong case for being an aspie)

Both his SLP and OT work with children on the spectrum too and for many years.  They both believe he is not on the spectrum, so we will wait to have him tested until later.  In my opinion we are treating him with the right therapies and that's what really matters right now and not the label.  I know not everyone operates that way and some people feel the strong need to just have a diagnosis.  I know sometimes its necessary but we are getting private OT, speech, and preschool and my insurance does not require a referral.  Those therapists just did their own testing and came up with a plan. 

He turned three a few months ago and we may get him officially diagnosed with whatever they believe it is by age five since he will probably need some sort of IEP at that point. Until then, all my energy is on helping him and not worrying about what he has.  I hope my point of view helps!

• Options
    ps...I am sure you have encountered it already, but people (well meaning friends/family) always want to "help" by telling you what they think is going on.  Getting it checked and even a second opinion by another doctor doesn't hurt. 

• Options
    d.fd.f member
    edited September 2013
    I don't know any stats on mis-diagnosis.

However, my son was diagnosed PDD-NOS (Dx'ed under DSM IV, but his Dev pedi thinks he would meet the criteria for ASD under DSM 5), is very social. He loves people and loves playing with and spending time with his peers. He has friends. Where ASD comes into play for him, he is not always appropriately social. He doesn't intuit the social rules like his typically developing peers. He frequently doesn't read non-verbal cues and sometimes doesn't read verbal ones. He struggles to stay on topic during a conversation, his conversation skills in general and his pretend play is not on the same level of as his peers, and a lot of other small things related to social behavior and communication that add up to an ASD. I have no doubts regarding his diagnosis. Once I started reading and educating myself on ASDs (which I was terrified to do prior to Dx-major mental block for me) the diagnosis started making sense.

That said I don't think a second opinion will hurt anything except possibly your pocket book. I'd continue with the recommended therapies though. Most are beneficial even if Autism is ruled out.

DS 09/2008

• Options
    Thanks ladies! yes it's just a label but was wanting answers to make sure I'm getting the right help for him. Mommy instinct just wants to make sure it's not something deeper. Thanks a lot!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"