Postpartum Depression
Options

Anti anxiety meds while BF'ing

I have an appt to see a psychiatrist in about a week. I have a history of anxiety and PPD. I'm currently taking zoloft, but feel as though its not working as well as it once did. (after my last pregnancy). I'm just curious if anyone has been prescribed benzos (xanax, etc) while breastfeeding. I've heard a lot of mixed opinions on this when I did research online...so I guess I'm just looking for personal experiences. 

Also, if bf'ing, what anti depressants besides zoloft has anyone been prescribed?

Re: Anti anxiety meds while BF'ing

• Options
    I nursed from months 7-9 while taking Ativan every night.  I took .5mgs before bed.  I did quit nursing when my DS was 9 months old b/c my PPD was getting out of control and they kept switching meds on me, so I wasn't comfortable and was a hot-mess.  I'm still sad about quitting b/c I loved nursing and my supply was great!  I made it soooo close to a year!

I'd look up Ativan on LactMed.com...their is a phone/tablet app for it as well.  Reliable info on there.  My pedi said the dose I was taking was totally fine for nursing.  I was also on Celexa.  HATED that so wasn't on that for long.  

Anyway...get the right advice before quitting.  Post this on the breastfeeding board too...Amy can really help!  
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• Options
    Drug Levels and Effects:

Summary of Use during Lactation: 
    Lorazepam has low levels in breastmilk, a short half-life relative to many other benzodiazepines, and is safely administered directly to infants. Evidence from nursing mothers indicates that lorazepam does not cause any adverse effects in breastfed infants with usual maternal dosages. No special precautions are required.

Drug Levels and Effects:

Summary of Use during Lactation: 
    Because of reports of effects in infants, including sedation, alprazolam is probably not the best benzodiazepine for repeated use during nursing, especially with a neonate or premature infant. A shorter-acting benzodiazepine without active metabolites is preferred. After a single dose of alprazolam, there is usually no need to wait to resume breastfeeding.

*I'd try Ativan before Xanax.  The Xanax isn't the best anti anxiety while nursing.
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've been told no benzodiazepine while breastfeeding. I take lexapro.

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"