Dads & Dads-to-be

Bed Rest

So my gf is on bed rest until her next ultrasound appointment because she felt off today so we called her doctor who told her to rest until her to come and see her right away. I'm not sure exactly what's going on all I know is that my gf was in tears when we went to the doctors but we did get an ultrasound today and the baby is healthy thankfully. My gf is acting weird though like all she has done since we got home is lay in our bedroom and stare at the wall or at her mini-bump. I don't know what to do. Can pregnant women have depression?
Lilypie - (QYVI)
Daisypath - (cbj9)

Re: Bed Rest

• @polooo26 Thanks for the advice.
    Lilypie - (QYVI)
    Daisypath - (cbj9)
  • Can pregnant women have depression?

Oh dude.. she has a tempest of emotions going on that are amplified by the pregnancy hormones. Depression is huge in pregnancy, it's all on how your gf handles it. Just be nice. Get her water and bake her pumpkin flavored anything. she'll be alright mate.
  • Loading the player...
  • LokiFollowerLokiFollower member
    edited September 2013
    @T3hHusband I don't know how to bake. She finally left our room though thankfully
    Lilypie - (QYVI)
    Daisypath - (cbj9)
  • Depression is entirely possible during pregnancy.  The hormones and everything run so rampant that it can have your gf happy as can be one moment and acting depressed as everything the very next.  If it prolongs then I'd bring it up to the OB, especially if you know depression runs in her family.
    edited September 2013
    I finally figured out why she is on bed rest! She apparently has a slightly high blood pressure and yesterday was what made her realize it. She was talking to a lady at the store and they were talking about babies (A subject my gf loves) and then the woman sees a picture of the two of us on my gf's phone when she took her phone out because she got a text. The lady went off on her saying how we were horrible for bringing a child into this world (my gf and I are a inter-racial couple). My gf seems to be in better spirits today though but hating to be on bed rest.
    Lilypie - (QYVI)
    Daisypath - (cbj9)
  • apbloye said:
    Wow. Did you gf kick the shit out of that woman for saying that??
    Nope she started to cry and the woman started to walk away but not before my gf called her a racist bitch.
    Lilypie - (QYVI)
    Daisypath - (cbj9)
  • apbloye said:
    Dude thats totally not cool. My wife's sisters so far have all married men that have Hispanic in them. All of us are at least half Hispanic. I would just beat (verbally) someone if they said that about my wife and I.
    I know I would have too if I had been there
    Lilypie - (QYVI)
    Daisypath - (cbj9)
  • apbloye said:
    Just shows that ignorance still rules the world.
    Wouldn't say it rules it, but it certainly likes to stick its ugly head out often enough.
  • Coltsdad said:
    apbloye said:
    Just shows that ignorance still rules the world.
    Wouldn't say it rules it, but it certainly likes to stick its ugly head out often enough.
    There's a quote from Hairspray my gf told me "Well love is a gift, a lot of people don't remember that." and another part of that quote was "Brace yourself from a whole lotta ugly comin' at you from a never ending parade of stupid"
    Lilypie - (QYVI)
    Daisypath - (cbj9)
    edited September 2013
    I am beginning to wonder if some people are born stupid or they just chose to be. I was visiting my mom and sister and my sister's friend (who is fifteen as well) was over as well and the friend asks me if I liked my dark meat or white meat better and my mother answered that I must like both since that is what my baby would be. I just looked at my mother and all she did was shrug and go back to her sewing. My sister at least told her friend not to be stupid (my sister is slowly starting to like my gf because my gf was the only one to give her an actual gift for her b-day) and then she told her friend she needed to leave because she wanted to spend time with me before I left. Now understand my sister once told my gf our baby was a mistake and I think she also told her she should get rid of it. I talked to her and now she is excited to be an aunt and she apologized to my gf
    Lilypie - (QYVI)
    Daisypath - (cbj9)
  • That's a depressing anecdote, but I have to believe we're living at a time when those kinds of racist attitudes are in the minority—though I've believed that before. When I was in college in Missouri, I had a serious, long-term relationship with an African American woman, which easily could have lasted but for her insistence on remaining in the Midwest and my strong desire to live anywhere else. Anyway, we thought nothing of the fact that we were a biracial couple. But one day as we were walking along the main street near campus, a pickup truck with a handful of idiots in the back drove by, threw a bunch of empty beercans and trash at us and yelled "N***** lover!" and other outdated phrases. 

Already, at that point (mid/late 90s), it didn't upset us so much as it made us curiously pause, then laugh. "They must have driven through a wormhole from the 50s," I said, while my gf laughed and said she wondered if it wasn't the other way round and should I perhaps invest in some horn-rimmed glasses and a Pendleton shirt...? I chalked it up to bad parenting in an area that doesn't compel a lot of interracial interaction. However...

Years later, in the early 2000s, I was living in New York City and dating another African American woman. Amazingly to me, were negatively approached on the subway on two separate occasions: On the first, it was a young black man who told us it was wrong for us to be dating. On the second, it was an older, well-dressed and kind-looking black woman, who went so far as to tell us not to start a family. We were both shocked. It doesn't get more integrated or more multicultural than New York, and yet people had no trouble at all publicly expressing racist attitudes (whatever their reasons for doing so, and in the case of the older woman there might have been an argument for understanding; she was in her 70s at least and Lord knows what she'd experienced in her life).

Some of us live in the present; some, lacking their own convictions, simply appropriate behaviors from the past. Mixed-race couples and families are already so commonplace, I have to believe there will be fewer and fewer stories like yours. At least I hope so. 

• @apbloye gf hates bed rest it is driving her crazy and she is bored of not having people to talk to. I came home and she had dressed up one of our cats in baby clothes that she had been folding (She folds clothes while I am at work) and the cat had come to lay by her on the bed. Poor Kane was not a happy cat in his dress.
    Lilypie - (QYVI)
    Daisypath - (cbj9)
  • apbloye said:
    That is awesome. I made my cat be my practicing buddy in trying out new diapers, putting him in the RNP, and seeing if I could figure out that sling thing that you can carry a baby in. It helped me figure it out cause he's about 10 pounds and so is my DD at the moment.
    I should try that on Ziggler, our other cat, to see if I can actually put a diaper on right
    Lilypie - (QYVI)
    Daisypath - (cbj9)
  • Ziggler actually sleeps on his back all sprawled out so it would be easy to do it to him. His tail would be the problem as he doesn't like it touched unless we are brushing it. I can't wait to try it out on him. :)
    Lilypie - (QYVI)
    Daisypath - (cbj9)
  • I tried didn't work he scratched my hand. Ziggler is not as sweet as I thought damn furball. I loathe the day my gf batted her eyes at me and asked if we could adopt the two little devil cats. Damn my hand really stings. My gf is amused by my effort though and he gave me an baby doll her mom brought over for me to practice with. I feel like I failed horribly and I learned to never try to put a cat in a diaper ever again
    Lilypie - (QYVI)
    Daisypath - (cbj9)
  • Eh not your fault my gf said that I shouldn't have done it while he was sleeping. She finds all this hilarious and thanks you for the suggestion because it made her day to see me chase the furball around the house. I'm gonna try again later this time I am prepared with gloves and his favorite toy to distract him
    Lilypie - (QYVI)
    Daisypath - (cbj9)
  • @apbloye I'll tell her. If I give Ziggler his toy (it's a small bear my gf bought him when we first got him) he'll lay with it in his mouth it's like his security blanket or something. I finally got it one him late last night with my gf's help she cuddled with him and I put the diaper on. We gave him a treat as a reward for not scratching me
    Lilypie - (QYVI)
    Daisypath - (cbj9)
    edited September 2013
    @apbloye Yeah that's Ziggler when we found him after he ran off. I couldn't find his toy though
    Lilypie - (QYVI)
    Daisypath - (cbj9)
  • He doesn't look very happy about that
    Lilypie - (QYVI)
    Daisypath - (cbj9)
  • Sounds like Kane. How did you come up with the names for your cats?
    Lilypie - (QYVI)
    Daisypath - (cbj9)
  • My gf likes that show but she could never answer questions about it like that. She picked the names for our cats after Wrestlers. Kane after Kane and Ziggler after Dolph Ziggler.
    Lilypie - (QYVI)
    Daisypath - (cbj9)
  • My gf watches it all the time and I do sometimes. Kane was Undertaker's brother but not in real life and Dolph Ziggler is this bleached blonde show-off that wears sparkly trunks. It's WWE now and all they have is drama and Hulk Hogan went to TNA a couple years ago.
    Lilypie - (QYVI)
    Daisypath - (cbj9)
  • His daughter wrestles I think to on TNA and I didn't know he had a son. TNA is a weird thing that is different from WWE and it has a point system I think or at least it did when I watched it that one time
    Lilypie - (QYVI)
    Daisypath - (cbj9)
  • She wrestled from May of 2012 to August of 2013 before being released from TNA she didn't actually wrestled though she was a manager or something. I had to google that to be sure
    Lilypie - (QYVI)
    Daisypath - (cbj9)
  • I didn't either until my gf mentioned it.
    Lilypie - (QYVI)
    Daisypath - (cbj9)
  • That is a really cute pic of Chandler
    Lilypie - (QYVI)
    Daisypath - (cbj9)
  • That was really cute. What happened to Joey's tail?
    Lilypie - (QYVI)
    Daisypath - (cbj9)
  • Oh I see. Does it hurt him?
    Lilypie - (QYVI)
    Daisypath - (cbj9)
  • I see. Does it affect his balance at all?
    Lilypie - (QYVI)
    Daisypath - (cbj9)
  • That would be cool to see a cat with springs!
    Lilypie - (QYVI)
    Daisypath - (cbj9)
  • Aren't all cats like though?
    Lilypie - (QYVI)
    Daisypath - (cbj9)
  • Lurker...yes pregnant women can have depression.  If that is what you really think it is and she isn't getting better, call the dr.  Depression during pregnancy can have a negative impact on the baby.

I had PPD/PPA, so I'm familiar with that.
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• @Ardmhs83 thanks for telling me that depression during pregnancy she is better now. @apbloy i don't know any cats that play fetch.
    Lilypie - (QYVI)
    Daisypath - (cbj9)
  • You're welcome
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"