Houston Babies

Finding out the sex before 20 weeks??

Hello!

I have heard of people finding out the sex of their baby before the 18-20 week ultrasound by going to get a blood test.  Have yall heard of this?  Where is this magical place?  I am dying to know! 

Thanks! 

Re: Finding out the sex before 20 weeks??

• I think most people have it done through their doctor.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Jack and Jill is not accurate in twins unless it is 2 girls.

Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image
  • Loading the player...
  • With my 1st we found out at 14 weeks through an u/s. They had to check my cervix for something and we found it was a boy. This pregnancy I was 16 weeks...I had some complications so I had an u/s at the time and it was a boy.

Photobucket
    Our little miracle, Jett.
    Planning Bio,
    My Blog
  • Jmo30Jmo30 member

I has genetics testing done between 12 & 13 weeks. They have a small window to to this but it's an optional test unless you are over 35 from what I understand. While they did the scan us they took measurements and showed us all body parts. They do a blood test and that's how they can tell you the gender this early. I'm 13 weeks 3days and we know what we are having already:)

• RaeAntRaeAnt member

We found out at 16w through ultra sound.

I was over 35 for both kids but I wasn't told of a test that could tell the sex early that was related to my age.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageRaeAnt:

I was over 35 for both kids but I wasn't told of a test that could tell the sex early that was related to my age.

It's newer than I think your babies are.  It has been out for about a year or so in the Houston market.  Maternit21 is one of them.  It's like the Jack and Jilll test because it screens out fetal cells and can tell gender.  But it also screens for Trisomy 13, 18, 21 all from maternal blood starting at 10 weeks.  Pretty cool test.

Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image
  • I am finding out this Saturday and I will be 16 weeks, at a place called View a Miracle. 
  • I found out via blood test when I did my NT scan at 12 weeks. I didn't get the results until a week later. My anatomy scan confirmed that the blood test was right but I was told the blood test was 98% accurate so I didn't have much doubt.
  • RosePNRosePN member

I did a fetal DNA gender test @ The Center for Medical Genetics in the medical center next to Women's hospital @ 11weeks and some days. It's supposed to be 98% accurate. You have to do it in conjunction with the Ultrascreen which tests for Down's and other Trisomies. It has to be done within 11-13 weeks. We found out our gender @ week 12. What it does is look through your DNA for a Y chromosome. If they find it, you're having a boy. We were self pay so it cost us $600 total ($450 for Ultrascreen + $150 for gender test). If you have insurance, then you only would be responsible for the gender portion ($150). You have to have your OB fax in an order for the Ultrascreen & gender test with your contact info and then the CMG will contact you to make an appt.

At my OB office they also offered a gender test called Harmony but when I called that place, they wanted to charge $795 for the blood portion of the Ultrascreen and $20 for the gender portion. The ultrasound portion of the Ultrascreen would have been another $200 so I went with the cheaper (more well known) option. I think the Harmony test is relatively new so I don't know about its accuracy.  

• RaeAntRaeAnt member
    imageE&RMommy:
    imageRaeAnt:

It's newer than I think your babies are.  It has been out for about a year or so in the Houston market.  Maternit21 is one of them.  It's like the Jack and Jilll test because it screens out fetal cells and can tell gender.  But it also screens for Trisomy 13, 18, 21 all from maternal blood starting at 10 weeks.  Pretty cool test.

Hmm...still didn't hear about it. The youngest was born in Katy in May last year when I was 39.... maybe if was more to do with them not doing blood work until I was 13weeks and then not until my 2nd tri I believe.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • our doctors office has something they offer for $50.00 called Peak a Boo...On my 17th week appt....I will find out..i will keep everyone posted
    Mom of 4 plus one more!!!!
  • Ask your doctor about the Harmony Test. This is what we used to find out at 11 weeks that we were having a boy :0).
  • bellowrb said:

Hello!

I have heard of people finding out the sex of their baby before the 18-20 week ultrasound by going to get a blood test.  Have yall heard of this?  Where is this magical place?  I am dying to know! 

Thanks! 

You need ti see a genetic counselor. Some insurance companies require a referral from your ob/gyn.
  • When I had my first LO I found out about the sex from a blood test at about 12 weeks at the center for medical genetics. It is on fannin. Google it. It used to be free with nt scan and other testing but that was a couple of years ago.
    IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • I had mine done at the Center for Medical Genetics (CMG) on Fannin at 11 weeks!  20 week ultrasound confirmed we were def having a baby girl! I only had a copay of $28 at the CMG visit.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"