VBAC

So if your uterus ruptures during a VBAC...

You lose the child? I am sorry if this is a dumb question. I saw the post below and just didn't know that was the result. I thought they could open you up and take the kid...just like in an emergency c section.
IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:

Re: So if your uterus ruptures during a VBAC...

• No, it depends in the specifics. The average chance of a UR is about .75%, andthe vast nmajority of UR aren't fatal for babies. I think the percentage of a baby dying bc of a UR is about 1% (but that's within the .75% of a UR happening at all, so it's very rare).
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• I thought I read that the chance of they result being catastrophic was 6%. But I very we'll could be ring. Either way, like pp said, that is still very rare. Also, keep in mind, uterine ruptures and partial ruptures can occur and often do before the onset of labor, so my point being, you are still at risk if you are having a rcs.
  • Loading the player...
  • I know the website vbacfacts has all the exact info, but I believe the chance of rupture being morbid is like 1/2000 of actual ruptures.

• What about brain damage?
  • Here's the VBACfacts link with the info you're looking for mid way down the page: https://vbacfacts.com/2012/04/03/confusing-fact-only-6-of-uterine-ruptures-are-catastrophic/

With a rupture, you generally have 16-17 minutes to get the baby out before you have risk of death or serious brain damange - if you didn't already have an epi in, they'd put you under and that would be a real, actual emergency c-section. My midwife practice requires continuous (and thankfully wireless) monitoring for VBACs for this exact reason - it's the quickest way to detect a rupture and you don't want to lose a minute when it comes to getting that baby out. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Does anyone know * how much these risks increase if your over 35 ?
  • I think I could probably do it but ive never had a vaginal delivery but I just can't get past the what if .
  • HTBaby-

What about the 4x more risk of death in a RCS?  I never understand why people are afraid of the risk of a VBAC but not of the risk of death from the CS?  This is a real question- I really am wondering.  To each their own and obviously the choice is personal, but I'm not clear on why some people can get past the what-if of the surgery.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • I think people feel more in control of the situation with the rcs. Because it is surgery, and theoretically everything happens the same in all of them. While this isn't true, I can see how people have the mindset. Plus, with a rcs, there is the been there, done that attitude. again, not something I agree with, but I see why people would feel that wat.
  • I think the risk of death looks higher with a c section because it includes all those who can't have V bac. Those at high risk . Many high risk patients have to have c section and it skews that number .
  • I think it also has something to do with doctors being quick to do a c-section but most aren't comfortable with a VBAC. So it appears they are safer if you don't do the research.
    Chad and Fawn

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anniversary

• holly321 said:
    I think people feel more in control of the situation with the rcs. Because it is surgery, and theoretically everything happens the same in all of them. While this isn't true, I can see how people have the mindset. Plus, with a rcs, there is the been there, done that attitude. again, not something I agree with, but I see why people would feel that wat.

I don't necessarily feel this way but my husband keeps saying he'd rather me have a rcs because its more controlled. I've told him that is not the case at all but he just keeps going back to it.
  • IBackBevoIBackBevo member
    edited January 2014
    I have since looked up several research studies and read the a acog guidelines. Risk of uterine rupture depends on many things. For vba1c with the better incision and no pit or other induction meds used, it is about 0.5 or 1 in 200. If you use pit, the rupture rate goes up to about 2.2 percent. Fetal death occurs in about 1 in 780 of all vbacs. This goes down to about 1 in 2200 if you give birth at or before 40 weeks...hence why some doctors have 40 or 41 week cut offs.

The risk of maternal death is extremely low with RCS or vbac. It is higher with rcs, but still so low that it really isn't something that will enter into my decision making process. It really is a misstatement to say rcs comes with higher risks...it is only slightly higher to mom and much lower risk to baby.

Personally, I don't think there is much doubt that vbac is riskier for the baby than rcs. This is why hospitals require monitoring...so in case of a rupture, they can get the baby out asap. This is also why I personally would never do a home vbac. But to each his own.

IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"