Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Am I having a MC??

I'm 5 weeks pregnant after my first fermara cycle and Saturday evening I had some brownish spotting. Sunday it turned into red blood, pressure, and cramping. I went to my doctor office today and they ordered my progesterone levels and my HCG level checked. The progesterone test isn't back yet buy my HCG test came back at 439. Is that low for 5 weeks? I have another draw scheduled Wednesday to see if its gone up or down. I'm still bleeding today but not as much and all of the pain has stopped. Am I having a mc? Any advice is appreciated. Thank you

Re: Am I having a MC??

• Options
    I'm so sorry you're going through this uncertainty. I can tell you from personal experience that I had a similar spotting pattern when I had my miscarriage at 6 weeks. However, I know some women spot and go on to have healthy pregnancies. As far as your HCG levels, when I had mine taken my doctor told me NOT to look up what's "normal" online because it would drive me crazy and everyone is different. He said it matters more when you compare your second draw to the one you just had. I never got to my second draw because I lost the baby beforehand so I can't tell you how much mine increased, or would have. I will be praying your HCG shows a normal progressing pregnancy. Did you have a sonogram too?
  • Options
    I'm sorry you're going through this. The symptoms don't sound good but you won't know for sure until you see whether your levels are rising or falling. I wish you the best of luck.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am so sorry you are going through this. As a PP mentioned, I too, had a similar experience with my miscarriage at 6 weeks in May. I had brown spotting and cramping for about 5 days, which turned into bright red blood. The cramping stopped but I bled for about a week after that. My HCG levels were at 200, then went down to 100 two days later. 
    Of course, you really can't confirm anything until you have your next HCG level test. My thoughts are with you and I hope this isn't a MC. *Hugs*
    BabyFetus Tickerimage
    BFP #1: DD born 08/12
    BFP #2: 04/13 Natural M/C: 5/13
    BFP #3: 06/14 DUE 3/5/15
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Are you passing any clots? I'm sorry you have to deal with this. I've had two and they both started with spotting a couples days, then heavy bleeding, then clots,not much cramping at all. I hope you stop bleeding and your levels are doubling! Take it easy. GL!
  • Options
    I am so sorry that you are going through this.  Your in my thoughts.  GL to you.

me 28-DH 30
    dated DH - 2001
    married DH- 4/4/2009
    off BC & TTC - March 2013 
    diagnosed with PCOS on July 29, 2013
    SA-  low sperm count, low motility, and forward progression 
    Medicated cycle #1 with 100mg clomid cycle (October 3)-  No ovulation or mature follies were present on U/S day 14. IUI was cancelled.
    BFP on 11/23/13!! Due date is July 20, 2014!
    Yeah! DH and I did it on our own without any treatments or procedures. We are excited about our miracle baby.
  • Options
    lalaroller08lalaroller08 member
    edited September 2013
    I'm so sorry you're going through this uncertainty. I can tell you from personal experience that I had a similar spotting pattern when I had my miscarriage at 6 weeks. However, I know some women spot and go on to have healthy pregnancies. As far as your HCG levels, when I had mine taken my doctor told me NOT to look up what's "normal" online because it would drive me crazy and everyone is different. He said it matters more when you compare your second draw to the one you just had. I never got to my second draw because I lost the baby beforehand so I can't tell you how much mine increased, or would have. I will be praying your HCG shows a normal progressing pregnancy. Did you have a sonogram too?
    I believe they don't do these until the HCG levels are at a certain level... I think 2,000?

*edit-  I'm so sorry for your loss =(
    BabyFetus Tickerimage
  • Options
    So sorry your going through this. I would try not to panic and wait to see what you doctor says before coming to any conclusions. Good luck 
  • Options
    It could be a number of things that don't imply miscarriage. Did they do a sono? Waiting for a certain HCG level prior is incorrect. 

It could be a subchorionic hemorrhage. This is bleeding between the placenta and chorion and can cause spotting but eventually resolves. I also had a friend go to the OB with bleeding/cramping and she found out she has twins.

Drink a lot of water, rest, and pray it is nothing serious. I am sorry you don't have answers right now. If you aren't soaking a pad or passing clots, I think that is reassuring. 
  • Options
    Nothing more to add but I'm sorry you are going through this and hope that it isn't what you think. I'll be thinking of you. Good luck.

image        image

• Options
    Thank you everyone for the info, positive thoughts, and prayers. They said that my HCG levels need to be higher to have a chance of seeing anything on an ultrasound. I'll be sure to update tomorrow when the other 2 tests come back and again after my second draw. Thank you again.
  • Options
    It could be a number of things that don't imply miscarriage. Did they do a sono? Waiting for a certain HCG level prior is incorrect. 

It could be a subchorionic hemorrhage. This is bleeding between the placenta and chorion and can cause spotting but eventually resolves. I also had a friend go to the OB with bleeding/cramping and she found out she has twins.

Drink a lot of water, rest, and pray it is nothing serious. I am sorry you don't have answers right now. If you aren't soaking a pad or passing clots, I think that is reassuring. 
    Actually that is the standard protocol.

And ::facepalm:: at the twins comment. Really? You don't have bleeding because of twins at 5 weeks.

BankerBSN said:

I am sure you mean well but you have no don't know what the fuck you are talking about.
    Thank you for backing me up... I wanted to say something but then I was second guessing myself! I know MY doctor told me they wouldn't do a sono before 2k hcg
    BabyFetus Tickerimage
  • Options
    I'm sorry you are going through this tough time. Truthfully, we can't tell you if you are having a miscarriage with the information you have provided. One HCG blood draw is not sufficient to make that call. What matters is if the HCG doubles appropriately. So, unfortunately the only thing you can do is wait & hope.

You may want to post this on First Trimester too. Wishing you a positive outcome, safe 9 months & happy take-home baby.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I had a m/c at 8 weeks and it started off with brown spotting, then a few hours later it was bright red bleeding with clots, and I passed the baby within 24 hours.  I hope you have a positive outcome.

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    The protocol is if HCG levels are 1,000-2,000 and you don't see a gestational sac, then you suspect an ectopic pregnancy. There is no requirement (at lease in my state) saying a sono cannot be performed because the HCG is lower than that. 

And yes, she was 5 weeks bleeding/cramping when she went to the Dr and was told she had twins. I am not saying the twins caused the bleeding. It still could be a SCH. 
  • Options

Sorry you are going through this. Waiting for the second draw is very difficult and stressful. But that will give you the answers you need. 

When I had my m/c in June (blighted ovum), I started spotting for quite a few days, and during that time they checked my HCG levels and they were going down. They also gave me an u/s, but I was thought to be 10wk along. I started miscarrying the day after.

"Your truth is different from my truth, and we're both right."

TTC since March 2013. BFP 4/13/13, blighted ovum discovered 6/6/13, m/c 6/8/13.

BFP 11/10/13, EDD 7/25/13 - stick little owlet!

BabyFruit Ticker

View Full Size Image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    OP - I'm sorry you're going through this. Some women will spot/bleed in the first trimester. It can be normal. What you're looking for isn't necessarly a certain level of HCG, but it should at least double in 48h to make it positive.

When I miscarried, it started wit brown spotting, then cramps, then blood. My HCG levels were at 334 at 6w then at 300 2 days later.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Mine, at just over 5 weeks, started with brown spotting and light cramping on a Saturday, the cramping didn't get worse straight away and the spotting would vary from brown to light red/pink. I went to the clinic Tuesday and they did betas and did a transvag ultrasound where they couldn't see anything. I had my second draw on Thursday and numbers decreased by almost half. While I continued spotting, I didn't actually start bleeding until the Thursday evening that the miscarriage was confirmed. So, in my experience that one time, could be. However, as PP said, you really need the second beta number to know for sure. Thoughts and prayers and hope the waiting goes quickly.

TTC #1 since 11/2012
    Me-31, H-27
    **Loss 1-Cycle 7(June 2013) at 5w6d-CP**Loss 2-Cycle 11(October 2013) at 5w4d-CP**
    **Loss 3-Cycle 14 (January-February 2014)-M/C dx 2/10, EP dx 2/24, MTX 2/25**
    Beta Hell--hCG finally down to 0 - 6/20/14
    SA normal. Genetic testing normal. Hormonal testing normal.
    HSG 6/30/14 - found blocked left tube and 2 'bubbles' on uterine wall.
    Hysteroscopy/Lap--8/4/14 - Tubes unblocked. Polyps removed from uterine wall. Septum removed.
     9/30/14--Off the bench! Unmedicated TI through December 2014
    BFP 12/14/14!!! Beta #1, 12/16: 990 Beta #2, 12/18: Over 2000! Beta #3, 12/22: over 8000!
     U/S #1, 12/23: gestational sac, possible heartbeat
    U/S #2, 12/30: HEARTBEAT! 128bpm, measuring right on at 7w EDD: 8/19/2015
    U/S #3, 1/9: BPM in the 180s, IT'S HAPPENING!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Update: Got my progesterone level back today and it was 27.5. Going in tomorrow for the 2nd draw and results should come back same day. I'll update again then.
  • Options
  • Options
    I believe they don't do these until the HCG levels are at a certain level... I think 2,000?

*edit-  I'm so sorry for your loss =(
    I asked her that because when I went in for my bleeding, they gave me my sonogram before drawing blood for HCG levels. Guess you'll get a different scenario depending on where you go.

OP I'll be thinking of you until you update us.
  • Options
    Update: 2nd draw came in at 297 :( this was my first pregnancy after 9 months TTC :(
  • Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. 
    BabyFetus Tickerimage
  • Options
    I'm very sorry you're going through this. Please take care of yourself.
  • Options
    I am terribly sorry for your loss.
    **~Future Mama to my June "Sprout"~**
    EDD- 06/13/2017
    **Stinkerbelle-8-27-10 * Mr.P's 2nd Mama 7-27-07**
    TTGP's 2013 Sweetest Bumpie <3 

• Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss.

image        image

• Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss!
  • Options
    I'm so sorry! Xoxo
  • Options
    So sorry :(

~*~ TTC Baby #2 ~*~
    Me: 30 
    DF: 29 DS: 10
    Angel Babies: July, September, and December 2013

My Ovulation Chart

• Options
    I am so sorry for your loss :(
    Married since 10/2011
    TTC #1 since 11/2012
    Dx: No Sperm Count

History:
    Referred to RE after SA results
    HSG, bloodwork, and U/S all good
    3 Non-Medicated IUIs + 1 Clomid IUI w/ Trigger = All BFNs

Today:
    Dr says 2 more Clomid IUIs until we move to IVF

Our Fur-baby Shelby

My Ovulation Chart

• Options

Update: 2nd draw came in at 297 :( this was my first pregnancy after 9 months TTC :(

I'm so very sorry for your loss. I came back to check this post and wished so hard to hear good news for you. Please take care of yourself. You & your family are in my thoughts.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I am so sorry that you are going through all of this.  You are in my thoughts.  

me 28-DH 30
    dated DH - 2001
    married DH- 4/4/2009
    off BC & TTC - March 2013 
    diagnosed with PCOS on July 29, 2013
    SA-  low sperm count, low motility, and forward progression 
    Medicated cycle #1 with 100mg clomid cycle (October 3)-  No ovulation or mature follies were present on U/S day 14. IUI was cancelled.
    BFP on 11/23/13!! Due date is July 20, 2014!
    Yeah! DH and I did it on our own without any treatments or procedures. We are excited about our miracle baby.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. 

httpi790photobucketcomalbumsyy184elsabrown08e26d3682-3305-47b8-9997-1488d4f6ff18_zpscd6c53aajpg
    ~*~
    Married 4.4.09  ~*~  Me-34 & DH-32 ~*~
    Complete Thyroidectomy Oct 07'  &  Cardiac Ablation Surgery for SVAT Sept 11'
    BFP #1 - 10.3.10  I  EDD 6.11.16  I  Boy #1 born 6.16.11
    BFP #2 - 9.12.13 l EDD 5.27.14 l CP 9.20.13
    BFP #3 - 3.5.14 I  EDD 11.17.14 I  Boy #2 born 11.17.14

• Options
    So sorry!!!
  • Options
    So sorry to hear this!

TTC#1 since May 2012. Low AMH, High FSH.
    Factor II (Prothrombin) Mutation
    TTGP Award Best PIP 2013 & 2014

My Chart

• Options
    Sorry for your loss :(
    Me(29), DH (29)
    Married December 2011     TTC#1 Since November 2013
    Dec. 2013... BFP! 12/31/13... Natural M/C 1/29/14 (8 weeks)
    July 2014...BFP!... 17dpo beta 581...19dpo beta 1419!!.. stick baby, stick!
    EDD: 3/20/15.. It's a boy!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    So sorry for your loss.  :(
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Chat!                       General Cloth Diaper Information          
  • Options
    So sorry for your loss.....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    **AGE-32 DH-35****Together since March 2005**  **Not Preventing Since 2011** **TTC since Feb 2013
    Undergoing Testing Starting 05/2014

**Murphy, Thomas & Neko**

• Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss :(

DH (29) & Me (26) - Married 9/22/2012
    TTC since 9/2012
    Dx - Annovulatory; PCOS-IR

8/2013 - First consult with RE
    9/2013 - HSG, SHG both clear; SA normal
    Oct 2013 - Jan 2014 - Clomid + Trigger + IUI #1-3 = BFN's
    Feb 2014 - Femara + Trigger + IUI #4 = BFP!!!!!
    Beta #1 - 3/2/14 (15dpo) - 123
    Beta #2 - 3/4/14 (17dpo) - 378
    1st ultrasound - 3/21/14 - 1 little ninja, heartbeat - 120bpm
    Due November 7, 2014

**ALL** Welcome

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"