April 2014 Moms

Birth plans

Have any of you made or are you going to write out a birth plan? I didn't with my first because I knew hardly anything about what I would or would not want. For my second I have some more definite opinions. What will your birth plan include?

I'm interested in delayed cord cutting. No c-section unless absolutely necessary life or death for me and/or baby. And NO PITOCIN. I had a horrible experience with pitocin. So, that's all I got. Just curious about you guys!

Re: Birth plans

• I considered one last time but ended up just telling my H and my doctor my wishes. Then I changed my mind in the moment. lol.

I think it's fine for people to have them and they can be helpful for considering all the possibilities and options and organizing your thoughts. I have no strong wishes this time and am happy with the way my hospital handles childbirth, so I don't plan to write one. I am just going to take things as they come.
  • After having two births not got necessarily how I wanted...I don't think I'll write and official birth plan this go around. I know what I want and my DH knows what I want and if I can't advocate for myself he will, my midwife is also in total agreement with my wants, so with that I think that I'll be just fine. 

I do think that for those that are FTM's or even on number 2 and may not have known the first time what they wanted, that it can be a good idea to write a out what you would like...but keep in mind that it may not always go that way. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
                                ~Missed MC at 8 weeks. D&C at 12 weeks on 4/17/13~ 
       Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • thomas930 said:

After having two births not got necessarily how I wanted...I don't think I'll write and official birth plan this go around. I know what I want and my DH knows what I want and if I can't advocate for myself he will, my midwife is also in total agreement with my wants, so with that I think that I'll be just fine. 

I do think that for those that are FTM's or even on number 2 and may not have known the first time what they wanted, that it can be a good idea to write a out what you would like...but keep in mind that it may not always go that way. 
    Very true!
  • This is my first, and FYI thebump has an awesome check-list style birth plan. It is way cool. :) I am going as absolutely natural as possible. No drugs, no c-section (unless it is life or death), no nothin'. ;) Although plans may change once the big day comes, it does feel pretty nice to have some semblance of control over the situation. You can also specify when you want to hold the baby (immediately, or after weighing), who is going to catch the baby and cut the cord (my loving hubby!), if you want to donate the cord blood, and you can specify that you absolutely do not want formula or antibiotics given unless deemed medically necessary. 
    "I hate the term 'we're expecting'. Expecting indicates that there could be more than one outcome. To me, that term could be properly finished with any number of things, like, 'We're expecting a baby, but it could be a velociraptor..."

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Plus, anything that was foreign to me on the checklist, I just Googled!!! It gave a lot of options that I didn't know I had. :)
    "I hate the term 'we're expecting'. Expecting indicates that there could be more than one outcome. To me, that term could be properly finished with any number of things, like, 'We're expecting a baby, but it could be a velociraptor..."

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My first one was induced, had pitocin and it was terrible. My body was so not ready to have the baby and it ended in emergency C.
    Unfortunately with my second I was required to have a scheduled C. The nearest clinic that did VBAC was over an hours drive away and did not accept my insurance.
    With this baby it's the same thing. I want to do VBAC so badly, but it's not an option.

image  mean_girls_35345

DD1- 2009, M/C- 2011, M/C- 2012, DD2- 2012, DD3- 2014

• Because I was at a birth center mine was really short. They didn't do most of the things I would've excluded, anyway. Basically leave me alone as much as possible and don't eye goop my baby.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think it's important to discuss your birth plan with your doctor or midwife ahead of time so you know that y'all are on the same page.

I want an epidural. That's pretty much it. 
    :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @colleenswerb That aspect is incredibly important to me, so I will definitely have to check that out. I'm going to a birthing center located inside the hospital, so hopefully they will be more lenient towards my wishes... Thank you for the heads up!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My midwife delivered DD, and I was extremely happy with that birthing experience. Pretty much everything that I wanted and didn't want was how she did things anyway, so I didn't write one. I won't with this one, either.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • So far I only know I'm delaying cord clamping and I want skin to skin immediately. Other than that I have yet to decide. No biggie though, there's still plenty of time:)

• I will be having a csection.
  • I had no birth plan with my first and don't plan to with this one either. My DH and I discussed things and he knows what I want. I had a great first birth experience and trust my dr, so I'm just going with that again this time. My thought is that I'm not the pro at this birth thing, although kinks my preferences, I'm not going to veto my dr because she's the pro and on my side! I hope that makes sense. :)
  • It's too early for me to decide really.  My husband and I will obviously talk about it, and I'll see if my OB practice prefers a written plan or something else.  The way the practice works it could be any of 3 or 4 doctors who will actually be there when I deliver (depends on who is on call), so I'm thinking a written plan might be best.  But right now I don't have any idea what kind of risks I might carry later in pregnancy, so I feel it's too soon to make any big decisions yet.
    imageDSC_9275  image

• I'm more of a go with the flow person. I think my biggest decision will be if I want an epi or not.
    photo ee249d6c-880a-4eb4-bc43-d6ab1f9fe662.jpg
  • I really don't think there is much point in writting out a birth plan. So much can change during labour. Being in the mind set of just get my baby here safely is the best plan. You need to be open to lots during childbirth!

TTC #1 since 2009
    3 clomid cycles = BFNs
    3 IUI cycles = BFN
    1 IVF = BFP
    DS born 04/08/12

TTC #2
    1 cancelled FET July 2013
    on a 2 cycle treatment break

Surprise BFP Aug 2013

Beta #1 833 Beta # 2 1633

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had a loose birth plan for my first. I wound up needing an emergency c-section. No need for a plan this time around, as I will be having another c-section, and already know what to expect. I have no interest in a VBAC, as doc said DS never would have fit & I'd probably never be able to deliver without a c-section. That's all I needed - no need to "try" and push for hours, just to have to get a c-section at the end.
  • A birth plan is your list of preferences , not a hard and fast list to stick to. Birth can be unpredictable but that doesn't mean you shouldn't have written down your preferences. It's hard to remember everything in the heat of the moment and you don't have to if you take a little time and make a short birth plan. Nurses need advance warning for things like in-room transition so having it written down and given to them upon arrival makes it easier for everyone.
  • The other thing to remember, a lot of hospitals are becoming more birth and baby friendly so see what they already do and it could very well be in line with your preferences. That's one reason why I don't need to write one, other than no pain meds (which I will let my nurse know when I go in that I wont want them and not to ask me), everything else is standard.
  • Having a birth plan doesn't mean you're not willing to adapt during labor and it obviously doesn't mean your first priority isn't a healthy baby and mama.

Birth plans can be for c section mamas, too. Things like you want skin to skin right away vs your baby going to the nursery to sit under a light for three hours can go in there.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My advice is to make it a short bullet style list and only put things that are diff from policy. Mine had that I wanted intermittent monitoring, to move around during labor, not to be offered drigs, delayed cord cutting, no augmentation without trying non drug options first, and no pitocin after delivery unless I was hemmorhaging. Also that we wanted to delaynewborn procedures for an hour to breastfeeding/bond.

Most im
    imageimage image
    DS, May 2011
    DD, April 2014

• Most important thing is to have care provider aligned with your desires ahead of time.
    imageimage image
    DS, May 2011
    DD, April 2014

• And bringing your birth plan to a prenatal appointment gives you an opportunity to talk about areas where you may differ. My midwife didn't care if I skipped I goop but really wanted baby to get the vitamin k shot.
  • I'll be having a Repeat C-Section (not a candidate for vbac) I will request:

-skin to skin contact immediately (as soon as possible)
    - immediate Breastfeeding establishment (ASAP)
    - no formula given unless parental consent is given for medical reasons.
    - daddy to announce sex! This is important to us!
    - a platter of sushi and champagne to be brought to me immediately after birth. ; )

I wonder if I can request music during my csection...?

BabyFruit Ticker   AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I think some of you are thinking I'm against c-sections bc I said in my OP I didn't want one. I am not saying that at all. I'm just saying I don't want my doctor wanting to go home or go golf and think yeppp let's just cut this baby out. If its needed its needed. I get that.
  • Skin to skin immediately

Delayed cord clamping

Possibly water birth

Really shooting for no epidural (just really wasn't prepared for that pain, damn back labor)

• homediva said:

I'll be having a Repeat C-Section (not a candidate for vbac) I will request:

-skin to skin contact immediately (as soon as possible)
    - immediate Breastfeeding establishment (ASAP)
    - no formula given unless parental consent is given for medical reasons.
    - daddy to announce sex! This is important to us!
    - a platter of sushi and champagne to be brought to me immediately after birth. ; )

I wonder if I can request music during my csection...?

Hahaha I like the sushi and champagne idea... Adding that in bold to my birth plan now. ;)
  • @sisimama10 - it sounds like you may be more interested in the midwifery model of care. Have you looked into whether that's an option for you?

I switched from an OB practice to hospital-based midwife practice at 32 wks because my birth philosophy was clearly not meshing with theirs (one told me I would beg for an epi at 36 wks, another that hep locks weren't allowed when I knew that was false). You/your insurance are giving these people a lot of money and you deserve to have someone you trust.
    imageimage image
    DS, May 2011
    DD, April 2014

• CalinAZCalinAZ member
    edited September 2013
    I'm think about a birth *wish list* My sister had a plan and really beat herself up when she had to get an epidural (but ended up having a much better labor because of it). I know I need to be very flexible going in, as I have no idea how things will go. I also have no idea if I'll want and epidural. I feel like I have a decent pain tolerance (run multiple marathons, 50ks and 50 milers) so I'm used to pain for longer than normal times, but it's nothing compared to giving birth. I also have a condition that causes intense vaginal pain, so that plus contractions might be too much. I am open. 

What I would like at this point is:
    - skin to skin afterwards 
    - breastfeeding as soon as possible
    - no formula without permission
    These things seem much more controllable than other parts of a birth plan, but you still never know what might happen. 

The delayed cord clamping thing sounds promising, but I need to look into it. 

I really like others suggestion to check and see what's normal at the hospital. I'll definitely need to do that. 
    TTC #1 since August 2012 |  BFP August 17th, 2013  |    EDD April 25th, 2014
    Living with Vestibulodynia (Chronic pelvic pain)

• Which reminds me, hep lock instead of an IV was a must on my birth plan.
    imageimage image
    DS, May 2011
    DD, April 2014

• Rather than a written birth plan, I kind of wish I'd had a doula instead. DH knew my wishes but he's a major rule follower and so whatever someone in a lab coat tells him, he will turn around and say we MUST do this and MUST do it now. Plus he totally freaked out on me once labor started. He wasn't even timing my contractions. And we read all the books ahead of time and took an in depth Lamaze class....it was all out the window when labor started.

I mean, hey, we didn't have one and it turned out fine, obviously, my son is here and healthy. And we definitely won't need a birth plan or doula this time around b/c I'm having a repeat C Section now.

\image  image

• i had a birth plan but most of what i was really keen on was normal procedure under midwife care. 
    Me-Caciona (30) DH- Dave (41) 9/27/08
    Mommy to Nils David since 9/21/11
    Expecting Serafina Ann  around 4/23/2014

• J&NLJ&NL member
    edited September 2013
    When I had DD the nurse asked me if I was BF or FF and if I wanted an epi or not. Skin to skin and all of that other stuff happened without my request. I don't think I need a birth plan for them to do that. Also, other than them doing their assessment on the baby when they're first born, you have free reign on when you have him/her.
    photo ee249d6c-880a-4eb4-bc43-d6ab1f9fe662.jpg
  • I tend to go in to preterm labor and have premie babies, with twins the risk is higher. So no birth plan for me. I will fully go w. what my doctor recommends is best for them to get them healthy. I have been able to hold them for a second, but then they have had to get rushed to NICU both births. I wish I could start breastfeeding right away, but with premies, not really an option. Fingers crossed for full term babies this time (at least 35 weeks, which they consider full term for twins) and that I can avoid C section (scares the CRAP out of me) but will do what we have to.

POS+April 2009-M/c May 2009, POS+July 2009-M/c Aug 2009, POS+ Novemeber 2009 -Baby Boy Charlie DOB 07/06/2010, POS+July 2011-M/c and D&C Aug 2011, POS+Dec 2011 -Baby Boy Ethan DOB 07/27/2012, POS+Aug 2013-TWIN BOYS! Jack and Miles born March 23rd 2014!!

">image
  • My birth plan is to have a healthy baby, however that shakes out.

I would love an epidural this time, and hopefully it will work. Mine last time only worked on half of my body.

My labor went a bit wonky because baby got stuck on my pelvic bone, so I pushed almost 4 hours and needed my doc to intervene to get her out,. She was born vacuum-assisted but it avoided a csection, and I'm glad for that. I never could've anticipated that but I'm glad my doc was willing to attempt the vacuum delivery. Many wont.

BFP: 7/5/10   EDD: 3/13/11  Miscarriage 8/1/10 at 8 weeks

BFP: 10/30/10   EDD: 7/7/11   Born 7/11//11 7lb12oz, 20 in.

BFP: 7/30/13  EDD: 4/9/14 Born right on time on his due date! 8lb10oz, 21.5 in.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Awesome prophetic fortune cookie: Love is a present that can be given every single day you live

• My OB and hospital are super 'baby friendly' and push the skin contact, BFing ASAP and all that so I'm only going to birth plan the stuff that won't be routine. DD was 9lb10oz and delivered with shoulder displasia so if this LO is measuring large we'll probably discuss induction a little early and/or c-sec. I don't yet know the hospital/OBs standard care for a c-sec, but still would want the snuggle time, preferably not to have my arms restrained. I just want to go home I one piece with an undamaged baby.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • I won't have a "birth plan" with anything set in stone. I will do my research and discuss my preferences with my MW. 

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• My birth plan is to have a healthy baby, however that shakes out. I would love an epidural this time, and hopefully it will work. Mine last time only worked on half of my body. My labor went a bit wonky because baby got stuck on my pelvic bone, so I pushed almost 4 hours and needed my doc to intervene to get her out,. She was born vacuum-assisted but it avoided a csection, and I'm glad for that. I never could've anticipated that but I'm glad my doc was willing to attempt the vacuum delivery. Many wont.
    The bolded part happened to me too with my first. I never got the epi though and my ob (transferred from a birth center during labor) used forceps. My second labor...baby was born in 3 pushes, hopefully your experience will be similar for you this time!
  • My "plan" is to have another home birth and I would like to try for a water birth this time around.  We will do delayed cord clamping again and that's about all that I have planned.  Oh, I'd like some champagne for after the baby is born.  That's a non-negotiation point for me! 

BabyFruit Ticker
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • thomas930 said:

My birth plan is to have a healthy baby, however that shakes out.

I would love an epidural this time, and hopefully it will work. Mine last time only worked on half of my body.

My labor went a bit wonky because baby got stuck on my pelvic bone, so I pushed almost 4 hours and needed my doc to intervene to get her out,
    . She was born vacuum-assisted but it avoided a csection, and I'm glad for that. I never could've anticipated that but I'm glad my doc was willing to attempt the vacuum delivery. Many wont.

The bolded part happened to me too with my first. I never got the epi though and my ob (transferred from a birth center during labor) used forceps. My second labor...baby was born in 3 pushes, hopefully your experience will be similar for you this time!

Good to know. Thanks for responding! I really hope so too! It was so frustrating to be pushing forever and make no progress!

BFP: 7/5/10   EDD: 3/13/11  Miscarriage 8/1/10 at 8 weeks

BFP: 10/30/10   EDD: 7/7/11   Born 7/11//11 7lb12oz, 20 in.

BFP: 7/30/13  EDD: 4/9/14 Born right on time on his due date! 8lb10oz, 21.5 in.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Awesome prophetic fortune cookie: Love is a present that can be given every single day you live

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"