October 2013 Moms
Options

36 week sonogram. Cord around neck

Today I'm 36 seeks and we also had our sonogram where they measured our LO. He is measuring at 6lbs 6oz :) Everything looked good but the dr said that he has the cord around his neck. She also mentioned that this is fairly common and that if my LO gets dressed during labor the alternative would be to do a c section. Should I be worried? She didn't seem too concerned about it. She also mentioned that he's already in the correct position she is wayyyy down there which explains alot since I am having horrible pressure down there. I'm due Oct. 8th and she said he will prob be here a week earlier. She said if he's not then we will induce due to the fact that the cord is around his neck.

Anyone ever experience this?
Lilypie - (x1UE)                                               

photo f5b87909-fb54-49d9-91f2-1c11ca11c6c6_zpsb539db06.jpg 

Re: 36 week sonogram. Cord around neck

• Options
    I've never experienced that, but it is great that they caught it early!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    *weeks *stressed. Sorry I'm mobile and my phone is dumb!
    Lilypie - (x1UE)                                               

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes, I'm glad they caught it early as well.
    Lilypie - (x1UE)                                               

• Options
    I've heard that it is very common for the cord to be wrapped around the neck. I've also been told that it is generally more worrisome when it is wrapped more than once.

This is all hear say, but that makes sense in my mind. The cord is generally 20 in long. So that still leaves room for Drs to easily remove the cord, if wrapped only once. I'm sure there are exceptions.
    Hope everything goes well! :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My birthing class instructor said that its pretty common and not a big deal and drs would just unwrap the cord as soon as the head comes out. The only way they will perform a c section is if the baby becomes distress which means it is probably around the neck more than once.
  • Options
    Thanks so much everyone! You all have really eased my nerves :)
    Lilypie - (x1UE)                                               

• Options
    DD1 was born with the cord wrapped around her neck twice. She never showed any stress during labor. As soon as her head was out, the midwife had me stop pushing and she unwrapped the cord. Then I delivered her shoulders and body. It was never scary, just a detail I remembered after the fact.
    Eleanor 1/8/10 Harriet 1/19/12 Margaret 10/31/2013
  • Options
    This happened to my friend. Her doctor ordered NST every week until delivery to check on the baby's status. At around 38wks the NST wasn't where they wanted it so they did a emergency c section
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Hopefully the cord moves and everything goes perfectly! I'm bummed my dr doesn't do anymore ultrasounds from 20 weeks on :(
  • Options
    It's common. I was born with my cord around my neck. It was not an issue then.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    All of my kids have been born with their cord around their necks. As long as your doctor isn't worried, I wouldn't be. Just keep a watch on movement and if you have any significant decreases, I would go in to L&D and get checked out.

DD#1~Emma Dawn 12/19/00 7lb 10 oz 21"
    DD#2~Daphney Mae 04/17/03 7lb 13oz 21"
    DD#3~Grace Deonea 05/20/10 8lb 2oz 21"
        DS#1~Brody Maxwell born 10/16/13 8lb 10oz 21"

• Options
    Thank you everyone :) I feel much better now :) yea the doc wasn't too concerned. I hope I can have him natural but if they need to do a c section, I'm fine with it. Whatever gets him out safe.
    Lilypie - (x1UE)                                               

• Options
    Yep, it seems like a pretty common thing. DH was actually born with the cord wrapped around his neck twice. Besides about a minute of concern, and being slightly blue for a few extra minutes he was fine. And again, that was twice around the neck. They usually have no problem untangling baby if it is only once. 
    Anniversary

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"