Postpartum Depression

First Pregnancy and depressed

I'm 14 weeks pregnant with my first baby. I've been having a hard time with my emotions lately, mostly feeling frustrated and crying for no reason other than I just have to cry. I initially thought it was just my hormones being out of whack, but the other day I also realized I've gotten very withdrawn from people, including my fiance. I stopped talking and laughing as much. I don't want to be around people but I don't want to be alone. My initial reaction whenever my fiance suggests we go out with friends is "I don't want to go." I cry for no reason and then I feel guilty for crying, which makes me feel even worse. I've lost my appetite and it takes me forever to fall asleep at night. I'm beginning to think it might actually be depression - not just crazy hormones. The most frustrating part is I feel like I can't talk to anyone because I feel like they wouldn't understand what I'm talking about and they'll just saying I'm being crazy and pregnant. I'm starting to get worried that this will have a negative affect on my baby and my relationship. Does anyone have any advice?

Re: First Pregnancy and depressed

• It sounds like you might have antepartum depression (depression during pregnancy).  It's not talked about as much as postpartum depression, but it affects lots of people.  I struggled with it throughout pregnancy.  I would mention your concerns to your doctor.  You might want to try speaking to a therapist or taking a mild anti-depressant.  Believe it or not, there are a lot of women who take anti-depressants during pregnancy.  There is a certain "tipping point" at which untreated depression is more risky to the baby than medication.  Since you are past the 1st trimester, anti-depressants are less risky (most of the baby's key development is complete).  If it makes you feel any better, I took antidepressants at a relatively high dosage through my 2nd and 3rd trimester, and my now 15-month old is perfectly healthy.  Antepartum depression puts you at higher risk of postpartum depression, but I can tell you from my own experience that addressing the problem during pregnancy rather than waiting helped me to avoid that problem.  For me personally, I think the pregnancy hormones just sent my emotions a bit haywire.  Once I gave birth I felt much better.
  • I assure you you're not alone. I'm 26 weeks now (also with my first) and I've spent the majority of my pregnancy angry and miserable. It was taking its toll on work, not to mention my marriage. I finally got up the nerve to talk to my doctor about it last week and she prescribed me Wellbutrin, a mild antidepressant. It's something that's very hard for me to talk about, even with my husband. I've spent a lot of time feeling guilty because everyone talks about postpartum depression, but you're supposed to be so happy and glowing during the actual pregnancy...apparently that fairytale isn't for all of us though. If you're in need of someone to talk to who can relate, I'm available! Hang in there!
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm so sorry you are feeling this way. I am 15w and feeling much the same. I feel completely not myself, am not doing anything I normally enjoy, am avoiding friends and family, and feel like complete crap every day. I'm at the point where I almost regret doing this. I feel terrible about these feeling because this is a very much wanted and planned pregnancy. It's terrible to feel this way. I spoke with my OB this week and will going to see a counselor on Monday. I am looking forward to that, which is positive. I am hoping to not up my dosage of Zoloft if it goes well. Hang in there!
  • I'm so glad I came across this post. I'm 26w with my first and the emotions that I've experienced are like no other. Not to mention I lost my job and I've been struggling to find something. I have a wonderful husband who tries to be there for me but me being me I tell him I'm fine, even when he sees the tears coming down. He tries to console me and I push him away. Ontop of pushing him away I find myself being angry and mean towards him, bet he can't wait for me to go into labor. I feel like I should have it all together because my background is in counseling, so I'm ashamed to bring it up to anyone and I've found it easier to mask my true feelings from others to spare how I think they will look at me, but it's at my expense. I think at my next appointment I will talk with my doctor. Thank you everyone for this post and sharing. All the blessings c
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"