Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

what type of birth do you want?

A spin-off of "who do you want in the room": what type of birth do you want?

Epi in hospital? Natural in a hospital? Birth center? Home birth?

With baby #1, I did natural (Bradley method) in a hospital. I plan to do the same thing for future baby #2. Needles scare me, I was far more scared of the epi than the pain of childbirth. Home birth makes me too paranoid to even consider for myself, I'm way to scared something would go wrong.
Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: what type of birth do you want?

• Options
    Definitely hospital.
    And I really, really, really want an unmedicated birth. It'd oddly important to me.  I'm not opposed to an epidural if I absolutely need it (especially since I'd be a first timer and have no idea how the pain will feel) but I really want to try without.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Well I kinda already answered this on my post lol but I agree w OP I would like all natural, the epi scares the shit out of me, but home birth for my first is also scary. The idea of birthing in a tub sounds amazing to me!
                                        Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Drugs.....give me the drugs. I have zero pain tolerance.
    Ditto! I want to be pain-free in a hospital. I would be way too nervous to do a home birth.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• Options

I'm trying for baby #3.  I'm thinking of switching OBs and hospitals this time.  There's a hospital near me that is certified baby friendly and has a new birthing center right in the hospital.  I'd really like to try that.  You're not allowed epis in the birth center, but you can have IV meds. 

For my first labor I had a little bit of IV meds.  For my second, I had no meds at all (not that I had a choice, he came so fast).  I wanted to go med free anyway, and I'd like to again for #3. 

son#1 born 6/2010

son#2 born 4/2012

son#3 born 7/2014

• Options
    Baby # 1 was a CS and was completely asleep so even DH wasn't in the room. With baby #2 im hoping for a natural VBAC.

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    BPaws said:
    Hello fellow A12 mum! I went into my first birth with a very, very lose idea of what I wanted. Birth in bath/shower as long as possible, as few pain meds as possible, delayed cord clamping, immediate skin to skin.... Then my birth sucked giant, hairy balls and I ended up strapped to machines and a bed for 3 days before getting put out completely. Not only did we not get skin to skin, I didn't even get to see my baby until he was already a day old- didn't get to hold him until he was almost a week. My next birth plan is simply; "Be Awake".

Oh no!!! Did u have a c section?

• Options
    It will be a repeat c-section up in hur! In a hospital preferably ;)
    imageimageimage

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers">AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
    Formerly dlsexton
    BFP #1 Dec 2010 ~ Blighted Ovum Jan 2011 @ 11wks D&C Jan '11 & Mar '11
    BFP #2 July 2011 ~ Miss Amelia born 3/30/12 @ 41 weeks!
    BFP #3 July 2013 ~ M/C Aug 2013 @ 5.5 weeks
    BFP #4 Oct 2013 ~ Miss Lydia born 6/3/14 @ 36 weeks!

• Options
    This will be my first so I don't know what to expect, however, I've read just about every birth story on that forum. I think I want a hospital birth, no inducement unless medically necessary. I have a pretty high pain tolerance so I'd like to go med free if I can, but I'm totally not opposed to an epi. I'm hoping to do the light or walking epidural if I do need one though. I want to delay the cord clamp and immediate skin to skin. That's about it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I wanted natural but after 14 hours of labor and no end in sight I went with an epidural...after 26 hours a c-section. Hopefully I will be able to get KU again and I would like to try for a natural. I got really sick after my last section and I will not be scheduling one if I don't have to...it was a terrible experience. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I would love to have VBA2C. I have found a doctor that will be with me in my attempt. I also plan to have a doula and give birth via the Bradley Method. I know that with a vbac I will need to try and avoidinterventions if I want to avoid another c-section.

• Options

With DS I really wanted to go to at least a 7 before getting an epidural. When they checked me in I was a 4/5 I went 3 more hours and begged for an epidural (my contractions were a minute or less apart and already off the chart when I got there). They checked me right after it was put in and I was a 7/8. Although I got what I wanted in that department after 18 hours of labor and 3 of pushing with no results I had to get a C-section which was in NO way the plan. I wanted anything but a C-section but after 2 asthma attacks, my heart rate being too high, the OB giving me the option of 1 more hour of pushing with 20% chance of success I gave in and got the surgery.

Really hoping for a VBAC this time if they'll let me!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Started Dating 03/04/2007 ~ Got Engaged 04/23/2010 ~ Said "I Do" 03/19/2011

Started TTC #1 11/2011 ~ BFP #1 03/28/2012-EDD 12/02/2012 ~

Greyson was Born by Unplanned C-Section on 11/20/2012 @ 8lbs 9oz 21 inhces

Started TTC #2 07/2013 ~ BFP #2 10/11/2013-EDD based on growth is June 26th

Liam born by Repeat C-Section on June 20, 2014 @ 8lbs 2oz 20.75 inches

• Options
    I'm hoping for an unmediacated hospital birth this time. :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    abbyful said:

With baby #1, I did natural (Bradley method) in a hospital. I plan to do the same thing for future baby #2. Needles scare me, I was far more scared of the epi than the pain of childbirth. Home birth makes me too paranoid to even consider for myself, I'm way to scared something would go wrong.
    This.

Munchkin born 11/22/11
    Pipsqueak born 6/9/14

• Options
    I was induced with DS. I would live to go into labor on my own the next time. The epi was wonderful and I got it after my second contraction. I think id like to try without the medication with our next, but I sure know when I've had enough.
  • Options

I had an induction w/DD but I was able to deliver without pain meds which was what I wanted. DH and I took Bradley classes to prepare. I loved giving birth and had a really great experience and would go "natural" again in a hospital given the chance.  However, because of the NAIT issue (my body attacks baby's platelets), even though I'll have treatments during pregnancy, there is still a risk baby will be born with low platelet count, which puts him/her at risk of a brain bleed during delivery.  So I will have a c/s more than likely.  I'd love to have a "family centered/natural" c/s, but I don't know if I'll be able to talk my drs into it.

• Options
    With my son I was induced (overdue and then we found out his fluid was low).  Contractions from Pitocin are a bitch and I got an epidural. The lack of pain was nice, but I sure paid for it after he was born. First of all, I didn't have any sense of how I was pushing, but he was born really quickly (30 minutes from first push). I ended up with 2nd degree tears that really did a number on me healing-wise. Plus, after the epi wore off I threw up and just felt like crap. My goal, should I get to experience birth again, is to do it med-free in a hospital.  All of my friends who had an epi with #1 and went natural with #2 couldn't stop talking about how much better they felt afterwards and how fast they healed. I feel like if I could have felt my pushing more, I would have slowed down a bit and could have avoided a lot of issues. Hopefully I won't need to be induced either.

TTC #1 since 7/08 After 3 years, 2 losses, 3 rounds of IUI, and one round of IVF, we finally have our dream come true! DS born 7/30/11

TTC #2 off and on since 7/12

• Options
    jcsumm0 said:

I had an induction w/DD but I was able to deliver without pain meds which was what I wanted. DH and I took Bradley classes to prepare. I loved giving birth and had a really great experience and would go "natural" again in a hospital given the chance.  However, because of the NAIT issue (my body attacks baby's platelets), even though I'll have treatments during pregnancy, there is still a risk baby will be born with low platelet count, which puts him/her at risk of a brain bleed during delivery.  So I will have a c/s more than likely.  I'd love to have a "family centered/natural" c/s, but I don't know if I'll be able to talk my drs into it.

Could you write up a list of things that would be important to you to discuss with your doctor, like skin-to-skin while you're being stitched, attempting to BF as soon as possible, newborn examinations to be performed on your chest, and you or DH never being separated from baby? Or whatever you'd envision for the birth? Maybe if you brought those things to your doctor early, he/she would be more open to them. Some of those things may depend on the hospital too...
    imageimage
  • Options
    We have an amazing birth center here (midwives), natural, possibly water birth, delayed cord clamp, throw that baby on my chest! DD1 was semi induced, with Epi and cord blood banking. DD2 was all natural in every way, almost didn't make it to the hospital. I wasn't even admitted when she arrived. Both were placed right on my chest and BF right away!
  • Options
    I should probably put this under FFFC or UO, but I want (and will have) a repeat elective c-section.  I had one with my son mainly because of my intense fear of a vaginal birth, and it was a great experience.  I was off all pain medication (including Advil and Tylenol) within 48 hours.  On the day of our release from the hospital, my husband, new baby, and I took a long walk.   
  • Options
    I was induced at 42 weeks (and 41 weeks, but it didn't work so I went home) and got an epidural. I'd like to take Bradley classes and go natural next time, though Im not opposed to an epidural if I need it. I'm pretty happy with how my first birth went, but I had a difficult recovery and I think a med free birth would up my chances for a better recovery.
    href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/33e2da" rel="nofollow">Chart

• Options
    NYGirl02NYGirl02 member
    edited September 2013
    I could have written this word for word minus the low fluid part!

With my son I was induced (overdue and then we found out his fluid was low). Contractions from Pitocin are a bitch and I got an epidural. The lack of pain was nice, but I sure paid for it after he was born. First of all, I didn't have any sense of how I was pushing, but he was born really quickly (30 minutes from first push). I ended up with 2nd degree tears that really did a number on me healing-wise. Plus, after the epi wore off I threw up and just felt like crap. My goal, should I get to experience birth again, is to do it med-free in a hospital. All of my friends who had an epi with #1 and went natural with #2 couldn't stop talking about how much better they felt afterwards and how fast they healed. I feel like if I could have felt my pushing more, I would have slowed down a bit and could have avoided a lot of issues. Hopefully I won't need to be induced either.
    href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/33e2da" rel="nofollow">Chart

• Options
    I would like a water birth ...again.

It is what I wanted for DS BUT I was 41 1/2 weeks and was induced so the pain came fast and quick once they stripped my membranes :( I labored in a tub for a while then things got intense. It was at that time that I requested meds... A few hrs later I got them - it felt like torture! I would prefer not to be induced next time if possible since DS/I were showing signs of any distress as a result of it. We both developed infections related to the length of the labor bc of poor dilation etc so I'd rather wait till baby is ready and try a natural water birth :)
    With all that being said- DS is healthy and happy and we're willing to do it all over again any way we can :)
    H&H is all we really want right.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
  • Options
    Epi again please! (For me, with DD the IV getting put in hurt more than the epi.)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    As long as I get a healthy baby, I don't care!

Buuuuut if I could choose, I'd like a midwife at a birthing center. There's none around me, so I know ill be at a hospital but my midwife already told me they definitely work with your birth plan, which I would want an unmediated birth.

"Your truth is different from my truth, and we're both right."

TTC since March 2013. BFP 4/13/13, blighted ovum discovered 6/6/13, m/c 6/8/13.

BFP 11/10/13, EDD 7/25/13 - stick little owlet!

BabyFruit Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Options
    xnbridexnbride member
    edited September 2013

Another natural birth! I wanted a homebirth but I love my midwife too much and she only delivers at the hospital. The local hospital made an error with DS2 and it resulted with them treating him and admitting him to the NICU unnecessarily for several days; we almost didn't make it home for Christmas.

Fortunately I had a better birth with DS3.  Although they did take him to the NICU for observation and abandoned me alone in the room while I hemmoraged.  Since I knew what to look for I called another nurse and she helped me get to the restroom to pee.

We had a wonderful nurse who advocated for us in the NICU. He just needed to Breastfeed. He had some gunk in his throat from coming out so fast and by the time it worked its way out, he was in the NICU and there was talk of admitting him while they waited on the test results even though the xrays and all his other stats looked perfect. She got me to nurse him and he was 100% after that and made sure that they let us move into the recovery suite. 

So actually writing all that out made me wonder if I should give some more thought to a homebirth but I probably won't. Overall, it was a good experience.

One thing I do want to do is to not wash baby for several hours and maybe not until we get home. Because of all the hubbub with DS3, he didn't get his bath for 6 hours and OMG his skin was so incredibly soft. The vernix absorbed into his skin and it felt like silk. I also have since read more about it and the birth covering actually protects them from germs too.  

9 angels in heaven-3 in my arms and 1 in the NICU                                                                                                                                    
    Mono/di twin girls: Josephine born to heaven and Evangeline born Earthside at 25w

• Options
    I must admit I'm rather surprised to here more natural births than not! I know sometimes that's the plan and it doesn't work out but still the intention counts :)

I say this because I have heard many of the woman i know (SILs girlfriends) who have no intention on doing natural they are too scared of it and don't believe they can deal w the pain.... It's gonna be interesting finding support lol 

• Options
    StacyJYay said:

I should probably put this under FFFC or UO, but I want (and will have) a repeat elective c-section.  I had one with my son mainly because of my intense fear of a vaginal birth, and it was a great experience.  I was off all pain medication (including Advil and Tylenol) within 48 hours.  On the day of our release from the hospital, my husband, new baby, and I took a long walk.   

I won't flame you. I can't wait to be a mom, but childbirth scares me. I don't look forward to it.

DH already tries to give me pep-talks about natural birth and how great I would be at it... but really, I asked the dentist to put me under for a filling last month (he wouldn't). I am really squeamish.

Maybe I'll warm up to it after carrying for so many months, but right now...

image        image

• Options
    I lived through the home birth thing with my mom...she had my younger 3 siblings at home and it's not bad, but I would (and could) NEVER do it! 

I'm planning to be at the hospital and go as natural as I can; provided nothing happens. I will, however, be at the hospital where my mom is a lactation consultant. Talk about weird, but it works in my favor! I get special treatment! 

Nathaniel Richard born 12/20/14
    Dating 7/2/2004 * Married 8/16/2008
  • Options
    I have a phobia of needles, so I'm hoping to be able to handle it. I am really hoping to not have an IV, the two other times I've had to have one it makes me feel like I can't move my arm, which I feel would really affect how I labor. If I do end up with an epi, I'm hoping to do what my friend did which is get a lower dose so shd could still feel it some but it just dulled the pain. She recovered a lot faster. I'm also really hoping to not get an episiotomy, I know they've really fallen out of a lot of practices. If we're still living here when I have axbaby I'll have it at the military hospital which I've heard really good things about.

TTC #1 since 11/2012
    Me-31, H-27
    **Loss 1-Cycle 7(June 2013) at 5w6d-CP**Loss 2-Cycle 11(October 2013) at 5w4d-CP**
    **Loss 3-Cycle 14 (January-February 2014)-M/C dx 2/10, EP dx 2/24, MTX 2/25**
    Beta Hell--hCG finally down to 0 - 6/20/14
    SA normal. Genetic testing normal. Hormonal testing normal.
    HSG 6/30/14 - found blocked left tube and 2 'bubbles' on uterine wall.
    Hysteroscopy/Lap--8/4/14 - Tubes unblocked. Polyps removed from uterine wall. Septum removed.
     9/30/14--Off the bench! Unmedicated TI through December 2014
    BFP 12/14/14!!! Beta #1, 12/16: 990 Beta #2, 12/18: Over 2000! Beta #3, 12/22: over 8000!
     U/S #1, 12/23: gestational sac, possible heartbeat
    U/S #2, 12/30: HEARTBEAT! 128bpm, measuring right on at 7w EDD: 8/19/2015
    U/S #3, 1/9: BPM in the 180s, IT'S HAPPENING!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I am hoping for a VBAC, as unmedicated as possible.

With DS1 I pushed for 2 hours before asking for the epi.  I was terrified of the needle but it was completely painless and instant pain relief.  I ended up pushing for almost 3 more hours (yes, 5 total) before I relented to a c-section.  He was positioned totally wrong and was completely stuck.  I'm hoping that history won't repeat itself and I can deliver vaginally without meds - but I'm 100% open to getting an epidural if necessary.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    My ideal plan is to give birth naturally and at home with a midwife. I know I would feel so much more relaxed at home and that would help me get through the process.

There is a midwife in the area who also lets you do water birthing at home, you can purchase or rent a birthing pool to set up at the house and that sounds fabulous!

It took me a LONG time to convince my husband but then he remembered that his grandmother delivered all 14 of her babies at home and they all survived just fine. We are only 10-35 minutes from 3 different hospitals so that helps a little too.

Now we just need to actually get pregnant! ;-)
  • Options
    I want a home birth. I was born at home, and I think I would be good at it--I have a pretty high pain tolerance (although I know childbirth would likely be the thing that breaks me!). I don't want to be hooked up to IVs, I don't want lots of people around me, I don't want to wear a hospital gown and I just want to be as comfortable as possible, which basically means laboring naked in my house with H and a midwife and maybe my mom. I want H to catch the baby and then I want to curl up in my own bed and nurse my baby.

That is what I want. That said, I live half an hour from the nearest hospital, and the one my OB delivers at is even further :-/ So I will likely end up with a natural birth in the birthing center at the hospital. I have a holistic OB who advocates for and practices natural childbirth and her hospital has a birthing center, so I'm thinking that is what I will probably do. I guess I'll just have to see when the time comes.
       image   image
    *Your friendly resident herbalist.  Ask me for facts about herbs--maybe I can help!*

TTC #1 8/2012~Chronic Pelvic Pain Condition began 10/2012~Told I was crazy by many doctors until a good specialist DXed a labral tear and bone impingement in left hip 4/2013~Surgery on left hip: 5/31/13  SUCCESS!!!  Pain flares to continue indefinitely (but mostly gone).

Resumed TTC 6/2013~Chronic stomach pain and distension: 8/2013~TTA 1/2014 Until Resolved ~7/2014: Trip to the Mayo Clinic--SUCCESS!!  Finally on the road to getting better.

Resumed TTC 7/2014!  Third time's the charm....8/2014 Visited the RE~DX: MFI/low morph~Straight to IVF with ICSI! 9/2014~Transferred 1 perfect beautiful 6AA blast with 10 to freeze!!!~10/8/2014: BFP!!!!  EDD: 6/17/15 STICK LITTLE BEAN!!! IT'S A BOY!!!!! 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    We did a med-free homebirth with our first, which was amazing. This time, we plan to do a med-free in a birh center because we have a four year old who we would rather be able to stay at home where she is comfortable (with Grandma there to stay with her) and we don't want her to be there for the birth. I also like the idea of having this next birth be somewhere other than my own home so we don't have to deal with things after (like laundry, etc) and can be totally pampered. We did a waterbirth with Basil with an inflatable tub, and this time I am looking forward to a real tub with endless hot water. :)

I am entirely too scared of hospitals to give birth in one...
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I'm hoping to have a natural birth.  Preferably no medications and definitely avoiding an epidural.  I haven't looked into any birth centers around here so for now it'll be in the hospital.  

Me: 29  DH: 37
    Married: March 2013
    TTC #1: since July 2013

• Options
    With our first, I had a scheduled induction at 37 weeks due to pre-e. I vowed to not have an epi because like most the thought of that huge needle going in scared the shit out of me. BUT after 33 hours of labor and pitocin...I was exhausted. Then my water broke and all hell broke loose with the pain management, plus not dilating--I had, had enough. And cervical checks were horrendous because my cervix is always posterior and very high up. I got the epi and 4 hours later I had pushed him out 8lb4oz 20 1/2 inches long. 

With our second I was sent to the hospital after a dr. appt. and pitocin was started. I knew I'd need the epi if things were like the last. So I told them ahead of time that I wanted one, but didn't know when I'd want it. I got it 3 hours after labor started because I didn't want labor to be that long again and be in that much pain. I delivered her after 5 hours of labor. 9lb8oz 20 inches long. 

With the next, it all depends. I do believe without pitocin I could handle it without an epi. I labored on my own with my first for 9 hours and yeah it hurt but I could handle it just with breathing. So HOPEFULLY I with our last I can have the birth I'd always wanted. Med-free. But it all depends on if I have pre-e and need to be induced like the last two. I also just hope to get to 40 weeks! Hell I'd be fine with 41 or 42...I just want to get to my due date, lol. Yeah I know I'll likely be miserable, but I want to know what its like to get to my due date.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    i'm hoping to have just FI and me in the birthing room during delivery before that if mom/ family wanna stop in that will be fine but i would like for them to sit in the waiting room i want it to be a special moment between me and him and then he can have his special moment presenting his son/daughter to the family like he has wanted. I want a natural birth and to try and go the longest i can without pain meds if i do have to the only med i want is the epidural i don't want morphine i would like to try relaxing techniques and gas/ maybe a bath since they always seem to help me whenever i got cramps. It will be my first so i have no idea what to expect so just hoping for healthy. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I was pretty open to anything with DS. I was going to try to make it as long as I could without drugs. My water had broke and I was only 1 cm dilated. So I was given Pitocin. I didn't make it very long without drugs. A few hours. I did eventually get an epidural and wondered why I didn't do that sooner. With the next, I really hope I don't have Pitocin again as that was awful. Other than that, I'm pretty open to whatever!

BFP with #2- Sept 6, 2013  EDD May 20, 2014   MC Sept 26, 2013 @ 6 wks 2 days

• Options
    Emerald27 said:

Could you write up a list of things that would be important to you to discuss with your doctor, like skin-to-skin while you're being stitched, attempting to BF as soon as possible, newborn examinations to be performed on your chest, and you or DH never being separated from baby? Or whatever you'd envision for the birth? Maybe if you brought those things to your doctor early, he/she would be more open to them. Some of those things may depend on the hospital too...
    @Emerald27 I definitely know what I would like in an ideal world, and I will talk to my drs about it, but I just don't know at this point what will be possible.  C/S will likely be at 36/37 weeks, maybe even earlier so there may be breathing issues, and of course they'll need to get a platelet count right away so we'll see what happens.  To be honest the whole idea of the c/s bums me out, but of course I'm grateful for the modern medicine that allows me even the chance to have another.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"