September 2013 Moms

Throat Lump (T&Ps needed)

Hi ladies, I have a situation I could use some prayer/ secular positive thought for...

I've had the feeling of a lump in my throat for 3 or 4 weeks- it makes it hard to swallow or breathe sometimes, but I have had such bad reflux that I didn't even really notice the lump until I got on stronger medication, and then I assumed the feeling was reflux-related. I brought it up at my last apt, and my OB said it didn't sound reflux-related, and she was worried about my thyroid. 

Long story short, after some testing I found out that I have a good-sized cyst on my thyroid. Next week they will do an endoscopy and draw some fluid from the cyst to determine if it is benign or malignant, but either way they won't perform surgery to remove it until after I deliver. My thyroid hormone levels are also quite a bit lower than they should be for pregnancy as a result of the cyst. Depending on when the hormone levels started declining, it could have no impact on the baby, or it could significantly impact his later intellectual development, and there's no way to know how long it's been going on- we'll just have to wait until he's older to see if he has developmental delays.

Needless to say, I'm a little worried about my little guy, and it's just hard to deal with the uncertainty :( If you can spare some prayers, or if you've had anything similar and have advice to offer, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Re: Throat Lump (T&Ps needed)

• I'm sorry you're dealing with this, especially while pregnant.  

I hope it's nothing serious, and I'll be keeping you in my thoughts!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 26May12 - EDD 27Jan13 - DX blighted ovum 12Jul12 - M/C 2Aug12 
    BFP #2 13Jan13 - EDD 22Sep13 - DD born 20Sep2013!
    BFP #3 23Jul15 - EDD 1Apr16 - 
  • I'm sorry you have this added worry now. Try to think positive that it will be nothing and that your little guy is ok. Thoughts and prayers your way.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry your dealing with this right now. I am sending lots of positive thoughts for the best possible outcome! Hang in there! ((Hugs))
  • I'm so sorry to hear. Just sent up a prayer for you and your LO. I hope all turns out to be fine.
    BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Thoughts and prayers for you, I'm sorry that you're dealing with this now : (

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• Will be thinking about you and your little guy!!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I'm so sorry hun. Saying lots of prayers and will watch for updates.
  • Praying for you. Sorry that you have to deal with so much! I hate being left in the dark to worry about things especially something as serious as this.

• Sending thoughts and prayers your way for both you and your LO! I'm so sorry you're dealing with this.

Also, if it comes back as malignant (fx it doesn't!!), I have two friends (female, early-mid thirties, in the Bay Area) who have successfully beaten thyroid cancer in the last few years. Really hoping you don't have to deal with it but treatment is great if you do! ::hugs::
  • Wow, so sorry you are having to deal with this. Sending good thoughts and hopes that all will be well with you and your little guy.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm so sorry you are going through this right now! I'll definitely be thinking about you and your LO!
  • T&Ps for you!

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• thoughts and prayers for you and your little one!  
  • Sending good vibes -- I'm so sorry you're going through all this!
  • Sorry your dealing with this extra stress, keep us updated and I will pray for you
  • Sending prayers for you and your LO! My aunt dealt with something similar, but she wasn't pregnant. She had to have it removed then tested. It was benign and she's doing well on medication.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • So sorry about this! I will definitely say a prayer for you and LO.

• I am so sorry you are going through this. My fingers are crossed that the biopsy results come back good and that your little guy is all right. Big internet hugs! 

12/19/2012 BFP! 
    EDD 08/26/2013 
    Our little girl arrived 8/22/2013!

• If its any comfort, this happened to a fried of mine during her third pregnancy. She had it removed after delivery. She was fine, and her little girl is almost 4 and totally healthy!
    January 2009: Goodbye TR (13 weeks) February 2010: Welcome DD1! March 2011: Welcome DD2! Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • So sorry to hear this. I hope it comes back benign and has had no effect on your LO. Will be thinking of you!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I am so sorry you have to deal with this.  Having to deal with medical issues anytime sucks, having to deal with medical issues when you're pregnant is a whole different level of stress.  I hope everything works out well for you.  You have my thoughts and prayers.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • :( That's overwhelming. I'll be praying for you!
  • I have no advice to share, but my prayers are with you that both you and your LO will be fine and healthy :)

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Sending T&Ps.
    May Siggy Challenge: Labor Memes

Me:31 DH:32 Married 11/06/10
    DD: Born 8/23/13 (clomid+ovidrel+IUI)
    BFP 9/9/16 EDD 5/19/17

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Sending many T&Ps
    TTC #1 Since Oct 2011
    BFP #1 4/29/12 m/c 5/18/12 at 6w2d
    BFP #2 8/28/12 EDD 5/10/13 MC 9/22/12 at 6w4d
    BFP #3 12/31/12 EDD 9/12/13

Me Dx: DOR   DH: all tests normal
    Our Pretty Little Nest Blog
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • So sorry you're having to go through that, especially right now!  Ts & Ps coming your way.  Keep us updated!! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker    image
  • I'm sorry you are going through this. I went through something similar just under two years ago (just the thyroid part, I wasn't pregnant at the time). I had two large cysts on my thyroid, one on each side, and I had a biopsy only to find out that the results came back inconclusive, so they told me I could have a repeat biopsy every four months or have my entire thyroid removed. I chose to have it removed (that was in March 2012, 5 months before my wedding), and found out after the surgery that it wasn't cancerous but I'm happy to not have to worry about it anymore. I don't want to freak you out and I'm sure all doctors do it differently, but I wish someone had told me before my biopsy to take some pain medication or even to hold some ice on my throat before the procedure. My doctor doesn't give any freezing because that would be an additional needle, so they just get right down to the procedure. It is a quick procedure, maybe about 5-10 minutes (but I had two cysts). I'm sure your doctor checked your thyroid levels when you first got pregnant, so fingers crossed it has just been in the last few weeks and that your baby is perfectly healthy. I know it is extremely hard not to worry and to try and stay positive but honestly try not to stress, it's not good for you or the baby. Everything will work itself out. Everyone told me over and over again when I was going through all of this that if you have to get cancer, thyroid cancer is the best one to have because it has the highest curable rate. If you have any questions you want to ask me, ask away. I didn't know anyone who went through a similar situation when I was, and I would have appreciated the opportunity to talk to someone. Now that I have been through it, I know a bunch of women who have gone through this, or are currently going through it, and to be perfectly honest, not even one of their cysts turned out to be cancerous. It is common to have non-cancerous cysts on your thyroid. 

Just an FYI for anyone reading: there is a thyroid test you can do at home to check for any lumps/cysts. Stand in front of the mirror and tilt your head back and drink a glass of water, you should be able to see anything that is out of the ordinary. 

• Definitely thinking of you while you deal with this. I have a goiter and multiple small nodules on my thyroid that I've had to have monitored throughout this pregnancy as well as extra blood work to make sure my levels don't change. I hope everything turns out ok for you and they get you on the right meds. Keep your head up!

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image

• so sorry . Sending tons of light strength health and positivity to you and yours
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm so sorry - that's so much anxiety to deal with at the end of pregnancy. My T&P are with you and your baby. 
  • I'm so sorry. I will be sending lots of positive thoughts your way.
  • So sorry that you have to deal with this.  I have thyroid issues so I know somewhat what that situation is like. (Just not the same issue as you)   I was worried for awhile because they were not checking the correct levels at my ob and I did not find that out right away.  Luckily when the endo did the correct tests my levels were good.  My thoughts are with you.
    <Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • My DH and I will def be praying for you..
  • Ladies, thanks so much for your support, prayers, & advice. It really does help me feel better to have such a wonderful community around. I will update when I know more.
  • I'm sorry you're dealing with this.  T&P!

BFP #1 8/14/10, DS born 4/30/11 
    BFP #2 9/30/12, M/C 10/23/12 
    BFP #3 12/16/12, CP 12/20/12 
    BFP #4 1/20/13, DD born 10/9/13
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Paturkey said:

Sending thoughts and prayers your way for both you and your LO! I'm so sorry you're dealing with this.

Also, if it comes back as malignant (fx it doesn't!!), I have two friends (female, early-mid thirties, in the Bay Area) who have successfully beaten thyroid cancer in the last few years. Really hoping you don't have to deal with it but treatment is great if you do! ::hugs::

First, thoughts and prayers for you and your LO! It can be scary to face the idea of thyroid cancer, but agree with paturkey, it is very treatable now. I've had two family members and two friends beat thyroid cancer in the past 4 years. I have benign nodules on my thyroid and the biopsy was unpleasant as mine were in the back, but they haven't changed in 7 years. It will be very important to get your meds regulated and checked frequently during postpartum months as your hormones re-regulate, but I'm sure they'll discuss this all with you when the time is right.

Praying your LO is unaffected. We didn't confirm I was definitely having thyroid issues until after DD was born, and she's just fine. Praying the same is true for you!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"