Postpartum Depression

New to the board- really struggling

Hi ladies, I pretty much knew I was going to be dealing with PPD. I suffer from anxiety and knew it was going to happen. I am just really struggling. I feel like I can't bond with my son (we are one week out). I feel resentment and I'm just feeling really awful about everything. I don't even know really how to explain it. I'm lonely and sad all the time. I'm not really sure which way to go here. Just needed to get it out.

Re: New to the board- really struggling

• I could have written this post when I was one week out. You are not alone! I had the exact same feelings. I too suffer from anxiety and knew I was at risk for PPD. My daughter is 7 months old now, and within the last month or so (yes, it took about 6 mos!) was when I truly started to feel like I had a strong, genuine bond with her, and felt confident in my ability to be a "good mom." Don't get me wrong, I loved her from day 1, but there was a lot of resentment and sadness and felt like I wasn't enjoying her as much as I knew I deserved to be. It was all such a huge adjustment for me and definitely harder than I thought. My advice to you is to keep telling yourself you are NOT alone in how you're feeling, know that with time you WILL feel better, lean on friends/family for support as much as you can or feel comfortable, talk with your OB about medication, and seek counseling. You are definitely not alone! It is something that you'll get through! :)
  • At one week out it's all about survival.  Don't put pressure on yourself to enjoy it. 

DD was about 4 months before we had our first bonding moment and it's been a slow curve since.

If you are prescribed meds I strongly suggest getting a medicine divider or pill case and counting them out.  With a little one and sleepless nights it's tough to remember whether or not you took your daily dose.

Try to get out of the house, even if it's just to walk to the mailbox.

Like PP said, you're not alone and you will feel better.  Good luck, mama.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with what everyone else said. Medication, (zoloft) has been a lifesaver for me! 

You definitely are not alone...and that first week, actually first SEVERAL weeks, are very hard! Try to go easy on yourself. 
  • Jilly82Jilly82 member
    edited September 2013
    Thanks ladies

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"