3rd Trimester

Tips for Passing One Hour Glucose Test?

I have my glucose test first thing tomorrow morning..........

Any tips on what to to today/tonight or early tomorrow to make sure I pass?

Re: Tips for Passing One Hour Glucose Test?

• Loading the player...
  • swspearswspear member
    edited September 2013
    https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/6478727/how-to-pass-the-1hr-glucose-test

Passing the test just means you have a clean bill of health in terms of sugar levels.  So eat/drink as you normally would (or follow your doctor's orders if he/she told you do something specifically) so that your results are accurate.  Good luck.  

Pregnancy Ticker

• My midwife suggested I schedule the test for mid-morning and eat a breakfast high in protein and skip the juice.  I had scrambled eggs and two sausage patties and passed the 1 hour test.  
  • Limit the amount of sugar/carbs you eat the day before. 
  • 8-|
    If the results are inconclusive then they will have you do another test, they don't joke around with that. 
    imageimage    
    imageimage
  • notreal2 said:

There is no way.  Just as GD isn't caused by diet, passing the GTT can't be done through diet.

You could get a new pancreas, that might help.

Or see if it's not too late to trade in for a new placenta. Either one may help out.

Ooo, where can I get one of those?  My little finger hurts from the pricking.

• notreal2 said:
    notreal2 said:

There is no way.  Just as GD isn't caused by diet, passing the GTT can't be done through diet.

You could get a new pancreas, that might help.

Or see if it's not too late to trade in for a new placenta. Either one may help out.

Ooo, where can I get one of those?  My little finger hurts from the pricking.
    I've considered toes at this point. Because it totes blows when you forget which finger you stabbed at breakfast.
  • By pass I just meant not get a false positive like I have heard many do only to go on to have to do the three hour and pass that.

No need for judgement or swearing people! Geez! Aren't we all on the same team here?

It's not a "false positive." The 1hr test is a screening tool to find out who should be taking the 3hr. Unless your 1hr number is crazy high they aren't diagnosing you with anything, just recommending further testing. Do not try to cheat the test. GD is not a big deal when well controlled, but if it's not taken care of it can cause serious issues.
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My tip is to follow the directions from your doctor. If you don't pass it's for a reason.
  • don't worry to much even if you fail. I failed they sent me for the 3 hour test (no fun) and I was told I had gb. my doctor read the values disagreed and told me to be mindful is all I also saw a nutritionist. My other dr in same practice then said he does want me to test myself for 2 weeks - its no biggie and my blood has been great. it's peace of mind to actually know i'm not hurting my baby. good luck
  • imakeeff0rtsimakeeff0rts member
    edited September 2013
    Limit the amount of sugar/carbs you eat the day before. 
    This is the worst advice I've ever heard. OP, ignore this woman. She has no idea what she's talking about.

Just do what your doctor told you to do. For most doctors, that means that you should eat normally before and after the test. If you have questions about the test, call your doctor. 

ETA: You're pretty much going to be drinking concentrated, liquefied sugar. There is literally absolutely nothing that you can do to "make sure you pass". The sugar will have the effect that it has regardless of whether or not you limit carbs, sugars, whatever the day before. Abruptly changing your diet to prepare for this could possibly make the test worse for you, as in you could be hungrier which could result in your vomiting...which would mean that you have to take the test again. 

Also, GD can be very serious if improperly diagnosed. If you're going to fail the test, you WANT to fail the test so that your doctor can keep an eye on you and your pregnancy, you can make the necessary dietary changes, and make sure that your LO is as healthy as possible. Trying to get around it somehow isn't just going to hurt you, it's going to hurt your child. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• I fasted morning of the test, per my doctor's instructions.

I still failed and had to go back for the 3 hour.

Do not be like my friend who walked in with a cupcake in her mouth. I think she still passed, though.

That's about all.

N '13 January Siggy Challenge
    ~*~ Winter Weather Fails ~*~
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You should look into what can happen to you and your LO if GD isn't diagnosed.  Seriously,

• Yeah this is ridiculous. Follow the directions your doctor gave you to get the right results. GD isn't a picnic (I could really go for a picnic right now... Dang!) but I would rather know I have it and deal with it for the health of my baby than try to beat the test. I would much rather prick my finger and adjust my diet than deal with the serious complications that can result from uncontrolled/untreated GD. I'm confused about the whole "avoiding a false positive" excuse. You don't know that you don't have GD, so how could you know whether a "positive" would be false?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Not to beat a dead horse, but I would echo the other sentiments above with regards to just following the regular instructions.  If you do have GD you definitely want to find out, even though I'm sure it can be quite disheartening.  You would rather know so that you can take the steps to give you and your LO the best outcome.

That being said just don't do anything obviously stupid like eating a dozen chocolate donuts that morning.  One time I went in for bloodwork at 8:00am after fasting that morning and my bloodwork came back showing my sugar was a bit high.  Stupidly, I had eaten massive amounts of sugar in the form of chocolate cake the night before and that was what threw everything off.

I went back 1 week later to retest and everything was fine and dandy.
    TTC since February 2014

• there are no real tips to pass, my OB told me to get up in the morning have a normal breakfast (I had eggs and toast) and wait about an hour and then go do the test. All doctors seem to give different instructions, some say to fast, some say not to fast, some say not to eat carbs, etc. I would just follow whatever instructions you were given and hope for the best. Good luck. 
  • This is why I wish it wasn't referred to as a "test". You shouldn't take it personally if you "fail". It's no reflection on you or your health. If you attempt to swing it and succeed, you're putting yourself & your baby at risk by going untreated. Just take the test and deal with the results as they come.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Follow the instructions given to you. You want accurate results. There are no tips to pass because its a medical screening for a serious condition. If you fail it's not a statement of you as a mother or human being. It has to do with how your placenta processes insulin.

So yeah, go with what your lab/doc told you to do. Don't try to cheat to pass.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Follow the instructions given to you. You want accurate results. There are no tips to pass because its a medical screening for a serious condition. If you fail it's not a statement of you as a mother or human being. It has to do with how your placenta processes insulin. So yeah, go with what your lab/doc told you to do. Don't try to cheat to pass.
    This.  That's why I too wish there wasn't so much emphasis put on "passing".  It makes it seem like it's something you can control which it isn't.
    TTC since February 2014

• Limit the amount of sugar/carbs you eat the day before. 
    This is the worst advice I've ever heard. OP, ignore this woman. She has no idea what she's talking about.

Just do what your doctor told you to do. For most doctors, that means that you should eat normally before and after the test. If you have questions about the test, call your doctor. 

ETA: You're pretty much going to be drinking concentrated, liquefied sugar. There is literally absolutely nothing that you can do to "make sure you pass". The sugar will have the effect that it has regardless of whether or not you limit carbs, sugars, whatever the day before. Abruptly changing your diet to prepare for this could possibly make the test worse for you, as in you could be hungrier which could result in your vomiting...which would mean that you have to take the test again. 

Also, GD can be very serious if improperly diagnosed. If you're going to fail the test, you WANT to fail the test so that your doctor can keep an eye on you and your pregnancy, you can make the necessary dietary changes, and make sure that your LO is as healthy as possible. Trying to get around it somehow isn't just going to hurt you, it's going to hurt your child. 

This is what my doctor told me to do. 
  • Lab rat here that just happens to work in a OB office and administer theses tests almost everyday. You can't change the way your body metabolizes sugers and carbs it is what is if you have you do if you don't you don't. Some drs will tell you to fast for 8 hours others will tell you exactly what to eat before the test.
    BFP 11/24/2012 - EDD 08/02/2012 - MC 11/28/2012 @ 4w5d
  • When I was scheduled to get mine done, the only thing the nurse told me to do was to not eat or drink from midnight up until my test. No special diet or anything. The glucose test is based on how your body processes that drink you are supposed to drink, not what you ate the night before.

For example, before the time I was supposed to start fasting, I ate a Cinnabon. No sudden gestational diabetes because I ate it. Eat what you normally would eat. 

• I don't think there is anything you can do to "pass" a glucose test and you wouldn't want to anyway. You definitely don't want a false reflection of your results. Most women pass this test anyway. I was TERRIFIED of failing this test. Unfortunately, I did not pass and have been managing my levels with diet. There's nothing you can do to manipulate the diagnosis. You either have a high number after consuming the drink or you don't. Good luck and try not to stress about it too much.

• Way to "make sure" you pass the test = don't have GD.  It's that simple. 
  • When I was scheduled to get mine done, the only thing the nurse told me to do was to not eat or drink from midnight up until my test. No special diet or anything. The glucose test is based on how your body processes that drink you are supposed to drink, not what you ate the night before.

For example, before the time I was supposed to start fasting, I ate a Cinnabon. No sudden gestational diabetes because I ate it. Eat what you normally would eat. 

Love your SNL skit!

photo f5b87909-fb54-49d9-91f2-1c11ca11c6c6_zpsb539db06.jpgimage
    imageimagehttps://us.v-cdn.net/5020794/uploads/FileUpload/07/a4ee8a96ea9a5b36f67716d2e4a85b.jpg

• By not having GD

• gladygirlcagladygirlca member
    edited September 2013
    Yeah, it's not that kind of test.  If you have GD, you want to know.  Having too much sugar in your blood is the equivalent of putting too much food in the gold fish bowl, and we all know that overfeeding a gold fish is bad news.  You'll overfeed your baby causing a big baby, put the baby at risk of a dangerous sugar low at birth, and at risk of developing diabetes later in life.  GD also effects the health of the placenta which can effect your ability to take baby to term.  I have had GD with both pregnancies.  I was diagnosed at around 15 weeks the first time, and was showing high fasting numbers within the first 5 weeks with this one.  This baby is growing right on schedule because I've been able to execute good, long-term control.  You want to know for both your health, but most especially for the health of baby. 

Follow your instructions for prepping for the test, and bring a good book to read while you wait.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My dr just said to eat protein for breakfast, skip the coffee and juice. 

BabyName Ticker
  • You know, the OB nurse at my practice said to do no carb for 3 DAYS before the GCT (I didn't ask her for advice, this was handed out to me because the nurses at my practice are...not the best, although the OBs themselves are great) -- if a medical professional is giving out this (admittedly bad) advice, then I don't see why everyone has to dog-pile on the OP.  It's a legitimate thing to ask, even if the answer is "you really can't".

Because that's the other thing - no matter how hard you want to cheat, this isn't like having your fasting blood sugar checked - you're forced to drink some sugary swill and they see how your body reacts.  Doesn't really matter what you do beforehand!!

I will say, definitely follow any directions your doctor gave you.  Mostly, you don't want to have any additional sugar/carbs just prior to the test (within a couple hours) as that could skew the results.  I did mine fasting (because it was easier to go first thing in the morning) and still drew a boarderline result - my OB says it's probably a "false positive" but wants me to do the three hour test to be sure.  It's a pain, but as others have pointed out, diabetes in general isn't a joke and you want to be thorough.

If your question is "how do I not screw this up/how can I be sure my results are accurate?" then do what your doctor says and if you didn't get any instruction from your OB, call and check.  Don't assume your results will be normal (which is I think the assumption that caused how you framed the question?) - I did and, while they're within the normal range for "pregnant", that range still includes "need to do the annoying test".
  • Haha! You have no control over this. That's funny.
  • Wow, people on here can be mean. It was clear (to me at least) that this woman was asking for any suggestions on how she wouldn't 'fail' by default. I am sure there are many people who had to go in for the second test merely because of some indicator or "mess up" on their first test. She is not looking for how to escape a positive result but advice from other women. When you go not the doctor as a first time expectant mother,they throw a lot of informational you. Please be patient with people that are asking for help, and don't be rude. If I were you, I would eat balanced meals for the days leading up to the test. I would probably stay away from anything too sugary. I'm not sure if this will change your results any, but it is probably not bad advice anyway.
  • Wow, people on here can be mean. It was clear (to me at least) that this woman was asking for any suggestions on how she wouldn't 'fail' by default. I am sure there are many people who had to go in for the second test merely because of some indicator or "mess up" on their first test. She is not looking for how to escape a positive result but advice from other women. When you go not the doctor as a first time expectant mother,they throw a lot of informational you. Please be patient with people that are asking for help, and don't be rude.

If I were you, I would eat balanced meals for the days leading up to the test. I would probably stay away from anything too sugary. I'm not sure if this will change your results any, but it is probably not bad advice anyway.

How is it mean to expect someone to understand this? I am a FTM as are many of the women who responded and all of us understand that you can't insure you pass. The margin of error lies more within the actual person and how they process sugar, not the test or necessarily what they ate.

No one is being rude by telling her to ask her OB if she doesn't understand, they either gave her instructions she should follow or they didn't, that's all there is to it.
  • Any change in your diet could cause an abnormality in the test. The point is to tell how your body processes sugar with your normal diet. You want the true results, even if it means getting sent for the three hour test.

FWIW, I drank sweet tea all morning and had a large piece of pecan praline cheesecake right before my test. I passed. You really can't cheat the test.
  • @LittleBabyTabb Naive much? You really believe your little speech is going to go over well with a bunch of internet strangers? Sure, let's all change our ways and be absolute peaches to the OP. LOL JK, that's not going to happen! If you really believe the OP wasn't intent on passing as opposed to failing the test as if it were a multiple choice questionnaire, then not only are you naive, you give random strangers too much credit. Do you watch suitcases for people you don't know in airports too?

@daedreambelievr I have no idea what the point of your post is. Are you trying to white knight for the OP, or are you agreeing with everyone else that it was a stupid question? I'm confused. No fucking shit, obviously she is meant to follow her doctor's instructions, but clearly that wasn't an option for the OP which indicates her lack of resourcefulness. If she is indeed ttlly srs. 
    VOTE on my Name List
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"